Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

How to approach a lot of footage

Discussion in 'Scripts, Script Writing, Video Ideas & Planning' started by Dutchie in England, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Dutchie in England
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $119
    Hey everyone.

So I've just moved and I wanted to make a vlog about settling in. However, I have like 3 hours of me assembling ikea furniture and I'm not sure how to tackle this. I do want to use the footage, but I don't know how.
    Just speading it up wont cut it. I also tried jump cuts, but even then it would be 2 minutes, which feels much to long for me.
    Do you guys have some ideas how to use the footage? I'm really quite stuck on it.
    Also, how do you approach shooting this much footage? I feel like I should have changed angles or something, I shot everything from one place :/

Any help is much appreciated!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn EVA-L09 met Tapatalk

2. Lasersgo
    Liking YTtalk
    Cash:
    $24
    is it just raw footage of you building? haha or is it like...you talking while you put it together? If you talked during it maybe skim it and see if there's any funny comments you made and include those? 2 min of THAT wouldn't be that bad!

3. Dutchie in England
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $119
    Nope, sadly it is just me building xD the only funny moment I had was when I thought I did something wrong, took it apart again and then realized it had been correct xD

4. Lasersgo
    Liking YTtalk
    Cash:
    $24
    hmmm....i would say maybe leave it in, speed it up, go to normal speed at the funny part, then speed it up til the end? Would be a shame to waste THAT much footage!

5. KatyAdelson
    I Love YTtalk Moderator
    Cash:
    $3,842
    I have a few ideas! I agree with speeding it up, going to normal speed during the funny part, speeding it up again, go back to normal speed when you notice you had it right the first time, and then speeding it up again.

However, speeding up 3 hours of footage to 0.5 to 1 minute or so will create a very choppy timelapse. I would cut the footage to the main parts of building the furniture: unboxing (sped up), in the midst of building (sped up), funny part (normal speed), undo building and try again (sped up), funny part (normal speed), undo building and start trying again (sped up), the piece of is finished (normal speed). By adding in normal-speed clips, I think it sort of adds an ability to add a few jumpcuts during a timelapse... If each clip is about 10 - 20 minutes sped up to about 5 seconds, it could be a fairly smooth timelapse.

I think editing it the above way would eliminate the need for different angles, but you could also experiment with cropping the video slightly to "zoom in." This especially works well if there's something weird going on in the background that you want the audience to focus on for a second or two (preferably at normal speed), or if you want to zoom in on something that you did that was funny (also at normal speed). It's important to note that you will lose video quality as you crop/zoom in, but it's usually tolerable for a few seconds. ^_^ I'd just make sure to give the audience some context before zooming in on something. Have the full clip at normal speed while the funny thing is going on for a moment before cropping the footage to draw attention to something. You can even "replay" a part of the video zoomed-in/cropped (but muted) while the original background sound continues (but then jumpcut to where the main footage is afterward), depending on what was going on and how long it lasts...

6. Lasersgo
    Liking YTtalk
    Cash:
    $24
    Just want to say I 100% agree with Katy on how to edit it!

Dutchie in England likes this.
  7. Dutchie in England
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $119
    Thanks so much for the input guys! I'm just chopping away at it now and I'll try to refine it to a reasonable length. What would be a good time frame? I'm feeling max 5 min, including talking moments.

8. babyteeth4
    Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
    Cash:
    $65
    2 minutes from 3 hours raw is very short, I don't think any viewers would consider that to be too long.

9. Julia and Claire
    Liking YTtalk
    Cash:
    $48
    We'd say to speed it up a lot, and maybe cut out bits and pieces of the clip that don't have a lot going on in them. You may want to also consider cutting out a good chunk of it, because the viewer probably would get the idea with a slightly shorter clip Also, it might be a good idea to add some interesting/good music so the viewers don't get bored. Congratulations on your move!!

Hope we helped,
    Julia and Claire

10. Dutchie in England
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $119
    I've chopped it up to around 5 and a half minutes, including timelapses and jump cuts with music, talking bits and bits of me being an idiot xD If your curious to see, it's part of my latest vlog.