How to add Facecams to gameplay videos (Tutorial)

Christopher

16Davies
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I've been getting asked quite a bit on the forum about how to add facecams to gameplay videos so I figured I'd do a tutorial which I could just refer everyone to instead of typing it out each time. (Admins, if this is in the wrong place, if you could kindly move it to the right place, I'd really appreciate it)

Okay, so you'll need three things:

1) A camera to record your face (either camcorder or webcam)
2) A video editing software that let's you have multiple video tracks running simultaneously (Such as Sony Vegas Pro 11)
3) If you plan on playing the game like a real man, you'll probably need a light to highlight your face in the darkness. (If you use a camcorder like I do, it may have a built in light or a night vision mode.)

Basically, you're going to want to put the facecam as the foremost video track and then resize it so it takes up a square in the corner, and then you'll want to put the gameplay in the move track behind it and leave that full size.

The best way to sync up the audio afterwards is to do a loud clap after you started recording, and then matching the audio peaks in the editing software before muting the camera. You can then cut this out afterwards and just have the video play as normal.

If you're using a webcam I have no idea how you can record that, I think you can record it in windows movie maker but that will probably drain your computer's memory and the games will run terribly. If your using a pocket camcorder like me, I haven't been able to find any tripods for them, so you'll have to make your own one for them. It's quite easy to do, just take a variety pack cereal box (You know those ones that come in packs of 8 different cereals and it has just about enough cereal for one bowl), cut the lid off and then prop then put the camera into the box.

Richy

Lord Richy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Great advice and very informative, what's the best way to record ps3 footage? I have the easy cap smart card and find that doesn't work to well, what's the best way in your expirence?

Christopher

16Davies
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It depends how much you're willing to spend. If money's no object then they way to go would be a happauge hdpvr, but these are really expensive, around £150 each. A dazzle capture card will do a slightly better job than easycap, but won't be in HD and they are quite expensive as well. They tend to sell for up to £50 depending on the model you get. If you don't want to spend any money, then you'll have to stick with the easycap I'm afraid. What's the main problem with you easycap quality anyways? If it's sound I do have a fix on my channel that may be able to help.

Richy

Lord Richy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I wasn't getting any picture at all for ps3 the only way I could get a picture was for ps2 and it meant I had to play the game on my laptop so the red white yellow splitters went into the avg slot. Maybe I'm settin it up wrong

Christopher

16Davies
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think your problem is that you didn't change the video settings on the ps3 from HDMI to Scart. To record the ps3 in scart mode, you have to actually play it in scart mode as well.

Richy

Lord Richy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ah right I see, I'm new to this sort of thing so allow me to make dumbass mistakes :p, gameplay videos is what I want to introduce to my channel as an alternative, also how do you know what games your allowed to Lp, for copywriter purposes and keeping on youtubes good side?

Christopher

16Davies
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can LP any game you want, but I'd suggest avoiding some of Rockstar's newer games as they tend to sometimes get a bit upset. Also I'd avoid games that use a lot of licensed music, but I guess you could mute the music in the game. On the other hand you're not allowed to monetize any gaming videos whatsoever unless you have express written consent from the developers, or the video is somewhat educational, such as a boss guide for dark souls, etc. If you get partnered they tend to let you monetize them for some reason though. If you do start LP'ing games that have just been released, expect a copyright notice from some company like IGN. It's a completely bogus strike though so just dispute it and wait a while. From my experience, the strikes you get from IGN don't block the videos in any countries and just nets them some extra ad revenue on your video until the copyright is resolved. It shouldn't affect you're uploading capabilities if you're allowed to upload longer than 15 minutes.