How often should I upload videos?

Brent Blogs

Blogger, vlogger, comedian, & ranter.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
Hi guys,

My YouTube channel is just under six weeks old now. (Made a whopping $2.51 in March off ads, too!) Just shy of 2000 views and have 13 videos uploaded. (Still don't have custom thumbnails enabled yet, though... boo!)

My style - as my name suggests - is sort of a blog-style channel with humor and storytelling plus lots of profanity. (I've got a trucker's mouth and a dirty mind...) Think Jenna Marbles but no cleavage and less appearance of dog penises.

Anyway, my question is as follows - how often should I be uploading new videos?

Being relatively new, full of ideas, excited, and with some extra time on my hands these days, I'm uploading 2-3 new and original videos per week. They average 5-6 minutes in length and roughly 150 views each. (A lot of my viewers right now seem to be self-generated through people I know, or though a handful of followers on Twitter who I don't know but seem to like my stuff...)

What I'm noticing however is that if I upload a video one day, then a second one the next day, the views on the first video don't seem to increase as quickly as second. (It seems that the newest video gets the most views) Am I potentially hurting some of my own exposure by uploading too often, or is it a good idea to put as much good content online as quickly as I can?

I am of course using all the standard link and annotation tricks to send viewers back and forth to previous and new videos.

I welcome all opinions on this topic. I'm here to learn, after all.

Brent

Br00tal

No Mercy For The Weak
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Upload as often as you can, but dont overdo it.

Reactions: AikoMiyoko

ChillNation

Say Hi everybody
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
A few times a week but don't push yourself or leave important things just because you haven't uploaded. Youtube shouldn't be tour main priority.

Liquidsolidus9000

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I'd say upload as much as you comfortably can, don't try to rush yourself to make a video because you haven't made one in a long time if it'll compromise the quality of the final video, but try to pace yourself at a rate that you're subs will be getting regular content

Brent Blogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
A few times a week but don't push yourself or leave important things just because you haven't uploaded. Youtube shouldn't be tour main priority.
So if my current upload rate of 2-3 videos per week is comfortable for me, I would be doing well to keep that pace?

Brent Blogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
I'd say upload as much as you comfortably can, don't try to rush yourself to make a video because you haven't made one in a long time if it'll compromise the quality of the final video, but try to pace yourself at a rate that you're subs will be getting regular content
Oh, of course! Don't want to make s**t videos. They have to be good. I'm just saying that I could increase or decrease the rate with pretty minimal effort. I'm just looking to get an idea from people who have been at this longer than I have if there is sort of an "ideal" number I should be working towards. (Or if there is such a thing as too much or not enough)

AikoMiyoko

Queen Of Spam, Married To Count Teribil
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It really depends in my opinion. I think uploading videos close to each other can have both a negative and positive effect on your channel in terms of views. I would say that uploading each and every day can be a good thing, however, I don't really do mass uploads myself and I prefer to space out my videos to 2 a week. My usual uploads are 1 on the weekday usually a wednesday and another on a weekend where my traffic is at its peak. Depending on what kind of show you put on your channel, it could or could not work to your benefit. Personal opinion though, I am subbed to some people who upload on a daily basis, however I find myself almost conveniently skipping through their videos most of the time unless if they have content that interest me. For me 2 a week is good enough. You give your viewers time to enjoy your videos and at the same time you give them space to miss your epic appearances enough to wait and anticipate the next upload.

Reactions: Brent Blogs