How much should i pay an video editor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merideus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Personally I'd suggest (Unless you have the money) to just practice editing yourself. I may have just started this channel but I've run multiple Guild Youtubes for past games and I can tell you the process of editing is a daunting one at 1st. But once you learn about things such as hard cuts & soft cuts (Basic editing knowledge) with your program the problems your facing start to go away.

An example is when i 1st started editing our guilds youtube videos it was CRAZY with 2+hours of content it took me WEEKS to cut stuff out add stuff in. But now once I started learning hot keys, crop tool, and a bunch of other stuff. A video like that would take a mere few hours.

If your just making Vlogs, windows movie maker is fine. Its perfect for learning out to do all sorts of cutting. And is fairly easy to learn & use. Then after that there are plenty of almost there(?) programs that are around $20-$30 bucks. Untill maybe you can afford the bigger programs such as premier, sony vagas, etc.

*Incoming wall of text*
To answer your question about your video camera though I'd havta say MAKE A SCRIPT. You dont have to follow it word for word, But it can do alot to keep you on track and keep your videos to the point without excessive rambling. Shoot your video a few times, review each one of them and pick out the one you feel best suits. After that its editing time, here I'd say its time to edit your background noise, normalization, etc. Then follow it up by soft cutting out (or hard cutting) points of silence from the video, and anything you feel isnt relative to your topic.

If you ownd a capable editing software editing your cuts themselves can also help (things like velocity, etc.) but none of this is at all needed, and depending how well you can act out and follow your script you can make your editing time less then 20mins. Its really up to you how complicated and far you can take your editing. But really all you need to follow is
  1. Follow (Atlest a bit) a script
  2. Cut out points of silence
  3. Cut out things not relevant to your topic.
It maybe a lil more complicated then that but thats the just.

NathanielGE

I've Got It
Reaction score
You could pay me to do it. Studied video and film production at Uni. Check out the re-caps and Nate Creates playlists on my channel if you're interested.

In terms of the question of having one big file or smaller files for each scene I would say 100% the second option.

Unless you are going to be giving the editor a shot list (kind of like an editors storyboard) broken down into timecodes from the footage and which parts you want then its a big ask. The editor would have to literally sit there and go through all of that footage.

At least if you film what you need, stop the camera and do the same each time, the editor has a set of scenes and takes to work with from the start.

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'll do it for a Mcdouble and you saying something nice to me.

heyitsmaceyb

Reaction score
I've been a video editor for 3 1/2 years for an online company and recently started branching out and editing a YouTubers content (vlogs and training content). For me as an editor it's easiest if the person filming has all one clip instead of breaking it up each time you need to cut something in your talk. But that's just my preference. The company I work for pays me $20 an hour to edit, so I figure I'd charge my YouTube video client $20 an hour. He has asked me to look at doing a fixed monthly rate, so as far as that, I have no advice or suggestions unfortunately. Still looking into flat rates!

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Generally decent editors run around $30/h[DOUBLEPOST=1457015413,1457015250][/DOUBLEPOST]Also the video creators has a good video on where to find team members, it also has some advice for normal people not used to hiring people.
I can confirm that the Video Creators video about how to hire a staff has some really good info on this topic.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've been a video editor for 3 1/2 years for an online company and recently started branching out and editing a YouTubers content (vlogs and training content). For me as an editor it's easiest if the person filming has all one clip instead of breaking it up each time you need to cut something in your talk. But that's just my preference. The company I work for pays me $20 an hour to edit, so I figure I'd charge my YouTube video client $20 an hour. He has asked me to look at doing a fixed monthly rate, so as far as that, I have no advice or suggestions unfortunately. Still looking into flat rates!

@heyitsmaceyb

Hi and welcome to YTtalk. :)

This thread is old. Please don't bump very old threads - It is likely that some of the people are no longer active here and it is very confusing for those who are. ^^

Tip: You can see when a member was last online by clicking on their username above their avatar.

Feel free to start a new thread discussing this topic or reply to a more recent existing thread (less than 1 month old is recommended.)

(If you need to contact any of the people who posted in this thread, you should use the contact information in their first post or you can leave them a message on their profiles by clicking on their avatar and then clicking on "Profile page" )

Status
Not open for further replies.