How Much Does Category Matter

LaurenLSexton

Hey guys, this is my first thread. I'm new to posting videos on YouTube and despite having been a regular view for years, I didn't post my first video until November. I have a background in SEO and digital marketing so I do have an understanding of SEO, tags, descriptions and titles and the benefits they can have. But how much does category matter?

It wasn't until recently that I noticed all my videos were set as 'people and blogs' rather than 'comedy' or 'entertainment', and it got me wondering how much of an impact that would have on a video.

Also, are there any other areas/part of the upload process that you think are much more important than people think?

I've read/heard that putting similar videos in playlists on your channel and grouping them in your analytics is beneficial for comparing views on similar videos etc. It has helped me!

I actually thought the same thing about the category when I first started also. I have posted most of my videos under People and Blogs and a couple under Comedy and I don't think I've seen any difference. I don't even know how I would really compare haha. My comedy video has done slightly better than a lot of my People and Blog ones but isn't my highest viewed video. I want to know the same thing as you! Does it come up under recommended for different people when you change the category? Who knows haha!

I really don't think it makes much of a difference if any. The category was more important like a decade ago. You might as well set it to what it's suppose to but I wouldn't sweat over it.

It's more of a thing you might as well do. You don't have to think about it, like other SEO-related things; so just do it and move on! :D

Back