How Much Copyrighted Footage Can You Use Before it Gets Claimed?

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I can't thank the WWE enough for the fast response and action when they could have easily ignored my message. I'm not sure of their reasoning but I don't think they see my content as hurting their business.
The things to be careful of here are that the person who replied to you and had no issues with your video may not always be there or, worse, something could easily change and, as a corporate rule, they go after everyone using any of their footage without license... something they need to do and should already be doing in order to protect their intellectual property and trademarks.

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The things to be careful of here are that the person who replied to you and had no issues with your video may not always be there or, worse, something could easily change and, as a corporate rule, they go after everyone using any of their footage without license... something they need to do and should already be doing in order to protect their intellectual property and trademarks.
That's a good point, thank you for bringing it up. That's something I'm going to keep in mind from now on.

Wakanda

Reaction score
Again, my intention is not to profit off someone else's work but rather create new content and get people excited for wrestling.
As I said, however noble you believe your intentions are, copyright owners may not see it your way. Whatever you do to pursue your interests, please steer clear of others contents.

I once got a strike for a video that was on my channel for 8 months. Appeals fell on deaf ear. Growing your channel on fair use is really gambling. If you have no other way to ‘get people excited for wrestling’ other than using content without permission,bear that in mind. You may go on for weeks or months,or even years, but your ‘sins’ will catch up with you.

Then there is the small matter of duplication. You my denied monetization or get demonetized. I’d love to see how much effort you put in your demonetized channel

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
As I said, however noble you believe your intentions are, copyright owners may not see it your way. Whatever you do to pursue your interests, please steer clear of others contents.

I once got a strike for a video that was on my channel for 8 months. Appeals fell on deaf ear. Growing your channel on fair use is really gambling. If you have no other way to ‘get people excited for wrestling’ other than using content without permission,bear that in mind. You may go on for weeks or months,or even years, but your ‘sins’ will catch up with you.
I understand that copyright holders may not see it that way. I just want everyone to know that I'm not trying to steal someone else's work and profit from it. I would love to not use copyrighted footage for a lot of reasons. However, I do think there would be a drop back if copyrighted content wasn't used. The more of someone's senses you can use, the more likely they are too, for lack of a better term, buy into something. So just having me talking about a wrestler is using the sense of hearing but if I show footage in addition to talking then they are also seeing, so two senses are being used. This makes it more likely for someone to buy or get excited for the wrestler.

Thank you for talking with me though, you and everyone else have given me new things to think about. Fair use is not a black & white matter so it's a difficult/risky doctrine.

Wakanda

Reaction score
I understand that copyright holders may not see it that way. I just want everyone to know that I'm not trying to steal someone else's work and profit from it. I would love to not use copyrighted footage for a lot of reasons. However, I do think there would be a drop back if copyrighted content wasn't used. The more of someone's senses you can use, the more likely they are too, for lack of a better term, buy into something. So just having me talking about a wrestler is using the sense of hearing but if I show footage in addition to talking then they are also seeing, so two senses are being used. This makes it more likely for someone to buy or get excited for the wrestler.

Thank you for talking with me though, you and everyone else have given me new things to think about. Fair use is not a black & white matter so it's a difficult/risky doctrine.
Video game companies regularly enlist youtubers to review their games. That’s a win for them as they spend less on advertising. They will allow you to use their content in your review or game play without strikes. But for WWE if they are not keen on such arrangements, you will be in trouble. If possible reach out to WWE with your ideas and see if they can buy into them. If they don’t or if they don’t reply, just carry on knowing you risk losing both your Adsense and channel.

I have seen people putting their lives at stake just to save/help others. I won’t advise you to go about youtube with the same mindset because WWE may not be too keen with your ‘help’

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Video game companies regularly enlist youtubers to review their games. That’s a win for them as they spend less on advertising. They will allow you to use their content in your review or game play without strikes. But for WWE if they are not keen on such arrangements, you will be in trouble. If possible reach out to WWE with your ideas and see if they can buy into them. If they don’t or if they don’t reply, just carry on knowing you risk losing both your Adsense and channel.

I have seen people putting their lives at stake just to save/help others. I won’t advise you to go about youtube with the same mindset because WWE may not be too keen with your ‘help’
I think you're right, I'm going to look into contacting them. I would love to see if their interested in what I'm doing. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me and share your thoughts, I really appreciate it!