How Much Copyrighted Footage Can You Use Before it Gets Claimed?

Wakanda

Reaction score
That's one of the unfortunate parts of fair use, there's a lot of gray area and interpretation. If there's an issue, I'll get in contact in with the copyright holder and work through it with them. My content is never made to try to steal someone else's work and I usually try to promote it and get more people interested in the copyright holders product.

You are quite generous; promoting somebody else’s product. In that case,then you shouldn’t mind all revenues you make while promoting them going to them,right? I mean you have no qualms with being hit with content ID claims,right?

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You are quite generous; promoting somebody else’s product. In that case,then you shouldn’t mind all revenues you make while promoting them going to them,right? I mean you have no qualms with being hit with content ID claims,right?
I do want to promote them and help grow the industry but I also want to be able to grow my channel and revenue is one way of doing that. My content is based around professional wrestling and more specifically WWE. I think when they (WWE) do well it helps the entire wrestling business because it gets more people interested in the product and they will go check out other wrestling companies and wrestling themed content creators. I want to promote WWE and see them succeed but I also want a fair exchange. It's similar to my place of work, I want to do everything I can to help the business but I also need to receive payment for my work.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I want to promote WWE and see them succeed but I also want a fair exchange. It's similar to my place of work, I want to do everything I can to help the business but I also need to receive payment for my work.
The difference is that your job hired you to work for them.

The WWE did not hire you to promote them and, until they do, you have no right to expect any sort of payment - directly or indirectly from their footage.

Reactions: markkaz and Cephus

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The difference is that your job hired you to work for them.

The WWE did not hire you to promote them and, until they do, you have no right to expect any sort of payment - directly or indirectly from their footage.
I agree that's why I create my own content and use fair use. I do understand that it is my responsibility to handle copyright claims on my videos. I just would prefer to avoid the whole conflict if possible since they copyright system on YouTube isn't perfect. If there's ever an instance where a video does not fall under fair use, I will take it down. I'm not trying to make a profit off of someone else's work. My aim is to create new content for the wrestling community, share my passion for pro wrestling and entertain.

I didn't mean to upset anyone or give the wrong impression and if I did I apologize.

Wakanda

Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a profit off of someone else's work. My aim is to create new content for the wrestling community, share my passion for pro wrestling and entertain.
You are trying to profit from somebody else’s work.

However noble you believe your intentions are, your work is unsolicited and will keep on attracting content ID claims.

Once upon a time I tested contest ID limits by uploading very short clips of the last Winter Olympics in South Korea. Clips for as short as 1 sec got blocked and when I inserted them inside another video, it got blocked.
They invest millions to capture EVERY moment and will not suffer you to enjoy their sweat just because you are ‘passionate’ about Olympics and are trying to ‘help’ them.

If you believe your work is of value to WWE,please reach out to them

Reactions: Cephus and Shakycow

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I agree that's why I create my own content and use fair use.
Since you keep saying it, what makes you believe that your use of their footage would be considered fair use?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think when they (WWE) do well it helps the entire wrestling business because it gets more people interested in the product and they will go check out other wrestling companies...
I don't think the WWE cares how well other wrestling companies do.

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Since you keep saying it, what makes you believe that your use of their footage would be considered fair use?
I know it's a gray area and it's difficult to determine what is and what isn't fair use but I think I have a strong agreement. I'm using it for comment/criticism, I'm using a small amount of their footage, and I'm not negatively impacting the market. Feel free to check out my channel's videos to see if you agree.[DOUBLEPOST=1536344507,1536344405][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't think the WWE cares how well other wrestling companies do.
I agree with you. But I do think that when the whole wrestling business is doing well, everyone does well.[DOUBLEPOST=1536345228][/DOUBLEPOST]
You are trying to profit from somebody else’s work.

However noble you believe your intentions are, your work is unsolicited and will keep on attracting content ID claims.

Once upon a time I tested contest ID limits by uploading very short clips of the last Winter Olympics in South Korea. Clips for as short as 1 sec got blocked and when I inserted them inside another video, it got blocked.
They invest millions to capture EVERY moment and will not suffer you to enjoy their sweat just because you are ‘passionate’ about Olympics and are trying to ‘help’ them.

If you believe your work is of value to WWE,please reach out to them
I'll keep that in mind. I actually have checked WWE's employment openings to see if there's a position that I could apply for but one of the problems is that they require more experience then I have. That's one of the reasons I'm creating content, is to get more experience.

So far, I haven't received many copyright claims but I did get one video blocked for a short amount of time. Actually, with the blocked video, I received an email address when I saw the takedown notice for the video. I contacted the email and explained that I'm here to try and promote WWE/wrestling and wanted to see what I did in the video that promoted the takedown. I got an email less than an hour later saying it was a mistake and my video was unblocked. I was surprised but really thankful that they took time out of their day to fix the issue.

Again, my intention is not to profit off someone else's work but rather create new content and get people excited for wrestling. To be clear as well, I don't just upload clips of WWE's content to my channel. I create original shows like Bell to Bell, Did You Know Wrestling, etc.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I know it's a gray area and it's difficult to determine what is and what isn't fair use but I think I have a strong agreement. I'm using it for comment/criticism, I'm using a small amount of their footage, and I'm not negatively impacting the market. Feel free to check out my channel's videos to see if you agree.
I quickly glanced over a few videos ('First and Last Match') and I couldn't disagree with you more.

There is virtually no comments or criticism in what I saw. Instead, it's a factual based career summary with very little personal opinion included.

A small amount of their footage? In your average video, what percentage of the video or music footage is theirs? While it may be only brief sections at a time, it still adds up to a large amount of their footage.

Negatively impacting the market? There could be an argument made that, by watching your videos, one would have less of a reason to watch their WWE Network or purchase a DVD to follow a particular wrestler's career.

Perhaps you'll continue to get lucky and they won't mind your usage of their footage, but, if they ever change their mind, I'd bet that their lawyers would quickly win.

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I quickly glanced over a few videos ('First and Last Match') and I couldn't disagree with you more.

There is virtually no comments or criticism in what I saw. Instead, it's a factual based career summary with very little personal opinion included.

A small amount of their footage? In your average video, what percentage of the video or music footage is theirs? While it may be only brief sections at a time, it still adds up to a large amount of their footage.

Negatively impacting the market? There could be an argument made that, by watching your videos, one would have less of a reason to watch their WWE Network or purchase a DVD to follow a particular wrestler's career.

Perhaps you'll continue to get lucky and they won't mind your usage of their footage, but, if they ever change their mind, I'd bet that their lawyers would quickly win.
I appreciate your feedback and different look at things. Fair use is a gray area and what you're saying are things I never thought of before and I will keep in mind going forward. In this thread, I was reminded of a time one of the Bell to Bell videos got blocked and there was an email address attached to the takedown. I contacted it and explained that my intention isn't to hurt the WWE but to help get people excited for it and asked what specifically was used in the video that got it taken down. They responded in less than an hour and said it was a mistake and unblocked my video. I can't thank the WWE enough for the fast response and action when they could have easily ignored my message. I'm not sure of their reasoning but I don't think they see my content as hurting their business.

I honestly do appreciate you taking the time to watch my video and share some feedback. I'm not trying to argue or make enemies and if I'm wrong then I want to fix it. If I said anything that made anyone upset then I do want to say I'm sorry.