How Many Video Uploads Before Starting an Adwords for Video Campaign?

wickisworld

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Where did you get this from?
If you have your Cards+End Screens+Playlists all setup, Adwords feeds traffic into all 3 hence increasing session time. Our Earned Views sometimes run into the 200% mark.
Yt brand managers are constantly asked these questions on creator hangout calls, and although adwords views "have less weigh algorithmically" [their direct quote], I have never heard Yt say it kills organic traffic.
Derral Eves said it in a video recently. He said the words loud and clear and was very sure about it. Thanks for your input!!

ETA: Congratulations on your new baby!! :)

Last edited:

slayerkm

Daily Vlogger
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
To be honest i dont have much input on the topic as i've never used adwords but i thought i would comment to say how great some of the advice above has been. I read through all the comments and love to see such a helpful community we have here.

best of luck with the channel, keep it up

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Derral Eves said it in a video recently. He said the words loud and clear and was very sure about it. Thanks for your input!!

Yep we've discussed Derrel Eves' videos a few times. We'll just leave it at that wink wink ;-)

And thanks for the congrats!!

Reactions: wickisworld

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I find it really bad business practice to punish people willing to give money to Google. For that reason I'm quite sure putting up ads will not kill organic traffic.

wickisworld

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I find it really bad business practice to punish people willing to give money to Google. For that reason I'm quite sure putting up ads will not kill organic traffic.
Those were my thoughts as well, but Derral really knows his stuff and claims that he had tested it, so I assumed it as fact. I personally still plan to try adwords though and see if it gives a boost. It seems to have been beneficial for some people here so its worth a shot!

Purple Penguin

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
having run many ad campaigns (and stopped around December), I tested this out.

And keep in mind that this is purely my own experience ;)

It seemed to me that Youtube has a certain amount of traffic that it decides to run to your channel, whether you pay for it or not (and this seems to be directed by sub count, channel authority, etc.). When we checked the traffic sources on non ad days compared to ad days, we could see a pattern where the views stayed somewhat around the same level. while the ads were running, our organic views were pushed much lower than on days where ads were not running.

There are ways around this, such as putting a large amount of money into ads and inflating views that way.

I do think adwords has it's benefits. especially in the beginning when you need to find a way to direct traffic to your channel, but when you have an established channel, I personally think it's better to let YouTube send the views to you.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Just my two cents, while Derral, Tim and others share a good amount of valuable feedback (and have access to channel data of some bigger youtubers), they are still youtubers like you and me. They make their living of videos, advice and events and it's in their interest to be seen as a great source to make your channel grow. I've seen many of their videos and have never heard anything that is not common knowledge (or knowledge you gather from YT staff during e.g. hangouts or channel consultation). They just repackage it, sell it to you (especially those youtubers desperate for more views) and earn money that way to support their family. They are not YT staff and therefor can also be wrong about stuff. Even YT managers share different views, and I would trust them more than Derral or Tim.
E.g. I spoke to two YT managers (seperate from each other) and asked them about the importance of audience retention vs watch time. They both stressed that % retention is more important than watch time in the algorithm (of course better to have both). From other people seeing YT managers in different countries they actually heard the opposite, watch time is more important than retention. As in all things in life, just take your wisdom from different sources, do your own analyses and make your decisions accordingly :)

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

SimplyAlexTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
this is quite a interesting topic you guys have going here. as for the adwords, does anyone know if adwords views are counted towards the new 10.000 view minimum for monitazation?

BTT: i was quite amazed by the video quality of your videos but after reading that you use highly professional equipment i guess thats what makes the difference! btw are the kids in the vids your own? i've recently heard some hard to belive stuff about US kids channels on youtube "renting" kids from neighbors and such for shooting those videos. i don't want to assume anything, just wondering!

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
this is quite a interesting topic you guys have going here. as for the adwords, does anyone know if adwords views are counted towards the new 10.000 view minimum for monitazation?

BTT: i was quite amazed by the video quality of your videos but after reading that you use highly professional equipment i guess thats what makes the difference! btw are the kids in the vids your own? i've recently heard some hard to belive stuff about US kids channels on youtube "renting" kids from neighbors and such for shooting those videos. i don't want to assume anything, just wondering!
Hey, it's my son and niece. Had us a milkshake night last month and they kept cracking us up so I decided it might be worth filming and one thing led to the next and we decided to start a YouTube channel.

Her parents are totally cool with it. We're even talking to a local milkshake joint about doing an on-location segment under the guise of cross-marketing. That one should be a lot of fun for the kids.

To be honest, I've got some smartphone footage mixed in our stuff that no one noticed so while the camera certainly helps, I can't emphasize enough the importance of using the right camera settings and most importantly, good lighting.