How Many Video Uploads Before Starting an Adwords for Video Campaign?

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I checked one of your videos this afternoon already I noticed the quality of the footage, I could almost see the fibers of the carpet on that overhead shot (puzzle video) haha. Love the dof an the slight panning also. Now I see you're using such camera's I understand why :)
What lighting did you use for this video? Natural light or some extra studio lights?
For the overhead shot, I actually used my Google Pixel XL phone and shot with the Filmic Pro app to match the frame rate and shutter speed of the REDs. It was taped to an extension pole between the lateral walls about 4 feet off the ground. One RED played wide dolly and the other I handheld for close-ups. For lighting, I have an 4' diameter Alzo Digital overhead drum light to cast a nice even soft light and then a 1x1 LED camera right to lift the shadows and give him an eye light.

For the kitchen shots, I kept it basic and used a 1x1 LED in addition to the kitchen lights (see attached pic). Just adjusted (intensity and bulb color temperature) based on whether we were filming an episode during the day or at night.

Attachments

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For the overhead shot, I actually used my Google Pixel XL phone and shot with the Filmic Pro app to match the frame rate and shutter speed of the REDs. It was taped to an extension pole between the lateral walls about 4 feet off the ground. One RED played wide dolly and the other I handheld for close-ups. For lighting, I have an 4' diameter Alzo Digital overhead drum light to cast a nice even soft light and then a 1x1 LED camera right to lift the shadows and give him an eye light.

For the kitchen shots, I kept it basic and used a 1x1 LED in addition to the kitchen lights (see attached pic). Just adjusted (intensity and bulb color temperature) based on whether we were filming an episode during the day or at night.
Thanks for that and the picture. Also really nice quality footage coming from that small camera sensor. Would love to try one of those reds (and cinematic lenses) one day but they are so expensive... I'm using a Sony A6300 currently but thinking of switching to the hopefully soon the be announced A7S iii or maybe an A6500.

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Those
Thanks for that and the picture. Also really nice quality footage coming from that small camera sensor. Would love to try one of those reds (and cinematic lenses) one day but they are so expensive... I'm using a Sony A6300 currently but thinking of switching to the hopefully soon the be announced A7S iii or maybe an A6500.
Those are all great cameras and I bet you the average viewer wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those and a RED if the shot was lit properly. I've actually considered selling the big stuff and/or buying an army of the upcoming GH5 to get even more angles that look consistent. Looks like a terrific camera at a terrific price. This certainly isn't a cheap hobby, heh heh.

Reactions: KidsCorner

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Those

Those are all great cameras and I bet you the average viewer wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those and a RED if the shot was lit properly. I've actually considered selling the big stuff and/or buying an army of the upcoming GH5 to get even more angles that look consistent. Looks like a terrific camera at a terrific price. This certainly isn't a cheap hobby, heh heh.
Haha true, the GH5 sounds perfect if it was not for that poor low light capabilities.
Sorry for hijacking this thread into a hardware discussion :)

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Haha true, the GH5 sounds perfect if it was not for that poor low light capabilities.
Sorry for hijacking this thread into a hardware discussion :)
Agreed. You've certainly got to light it with the GH line, just as you have to with the REDs. And regarding hardware talk, you're in my wheelhouse so no worries. I enjoy chatting about the equipment.

Reactions: KidsCorner

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Welcome to the wonder world of Yt. Checked out your videos, nice! I'm a huge fan of Seinfeld, really enjoyed the kids take on that! Is that a dolly you move your camera on?

The question at hand - short answer: probably in the range of 20-40 videos & 3-4 playlists. The thing about subs, is they need a reason to sub. Either that comes through a very strong emotional or content connection with the child actors, or some other ethereal quality about the content or the way it comes across. Or something very viral and unexpected from left field. Either way, they would need to see a pc screen full of content, or a few finger scrolls worth. As my good friend KidsCorner suggested, search back 1 year+ for our name, FamilyToyReview, and also RyanToysReview, for a few factors that went into Adwords consideration and channel growth.

Good luck!
I just checked out your video and I gotta say holy moly! You are really putting out yourself to the world. I'm raising my hat as high as I can. Well done!

I actually tried adwords for like $3-5 for each (except for the newest) video. I got around 300-500 views for each video but only 10 subscribers. Granted I know nothing about targeting the right audience.

I wish I could see a constant flow of subscribers. One a day would be more than enough. Our current small goal is to get 100 subscribers for the custom url but the ultimate goal for this project is to make 100 high quality youtube videos and then decide about the future. Current rate is a video every other day so we should arrive there within a year.

We built a studio to our house with proper lighting, background, etc. Yesterday we bought a Canon G7X M2 for the awesome quality.

First couple videos we filmed with a GoPro from my office. Then we got to lend my friend's Sony RX-100. The next video we upload today will be filmed with our first own camera. I'm excited!

PS. I love that I can use YT Talk like a "time machine" I bet it's going to be awesome to look back after all 100 videos are done.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just checked out your video and I gotta say holy moly! You are really putting out yourself to the world. I'm raising my hat as high as I can. Well done!

I actually tried adwords for like $3-5 for each (except for the newest) video. I got around 300-500 views for each video but only 10 subscribers. Granted I know nothing about targeting the right audience.

I wish I could see a constant flow of subscribers. One a day would be more than enough. Our current small goal is to get 100 subscribers for the custom url but the ultimate goal for this project is to make 100 high quality youtube videos and then decide about the future. Current rate is a video every other day so we should arrive there within a year.

We built a studio to our house with proper lighting, background, etc. Yesterday we bought a Canon G7X M2 for the awesome quality.

First couple videos we filmed with a GoPro from my office. Then we got to lend my friend's Sony RX-100. The next video we upload today will be filmed with our first own camera. I'm excited!

PS. I love that I can use YT Talk like a "time machine" I bet it's going to be awesome to look back after all 100 videos are done.
You need a couple dozen videos for Adwords to convert well into subs. Adwords should be run on fast snappy vids, say 2-5 min. Let the backend decide where to place them, it knows best, unless you want to build association with particular channels. If you got 10 subs off 500 views, that's fantastic sub acquisition costs, you can't ask for better than that. Constant flow of subs happens when you have a large backlog of good traffic videos. You can't get constant sub growth off sporadic traffic when you are growing. Once that blue real-time chart starts to have a nice sine wave pattern, that's when sub conversions will stabilize. For now build your inventory. In your vertical, I'd say 50-80 videos before you start to see some growth. If you add kids into the picture (not sure if you have any), you'll likely grow faster. Kids connect best with kids. Although quality is important, I would say the most important is an emotional connection to the content from the audience. Think of writing a book - good quality = perfect grammar, but those books seldom become bestsellers, the bestsellers are written by 16-19 year olds drawing on lots of slang (in the YA category). Good luck!

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You need a couple dozen videos for Adwords to convert well into subs. Adwords should be run on fast snappy vids, say 2-5 min. Let the backend decide where to place them, it knows best, unless you want to build association with particular channels. If you got 10 subs off 500 views, that's fantastic sub acquisition costs, you can't ask for better than that. Constant flow of subs happens when you have a large backlog of good traffic videos. You can't get constant sub growth off sporadic traffic when you are growing. Once that blue real-time chart starts to have a nice sine wave pattern, that's when sub conversions will stabilize. For now build your inventory. In your vertical, I'd say 50-80 videos before you start to see some growth. If you add kids into the picture (not sure if you have any), you'll likely grow faster. Kids connect best with kids. Good luck!
Thank you for the awesome tip!

wickisworld

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First post, be gentle.

I'm starting to churn out some fairly high production value content that I think is going to really appeal to my target demographic, who are kids in the 3-6 age range.

I'm just wondering, does anyone have any experience promoting with Adwords for Video to a similar demographic? How many videos did you create before initiating an Adwords for Video campaign? Did you see successful results?
First of all I gotta say, super cute channel!! Very well done :)

I don't have experience using adwords, but I have often wondered about using adwords and this post is very helpful! The thing that has made me hesitate to try it was learning that once you put adwords on a video, it kills the organic algorithm (but our growth has been pretty slow so I still think about trying it). Does anyone have any incite on this?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
it kills the organic algorithm
Where did you get this from?
If you have your Cards+End Screens+Playlists all setup, Adwords feeds traffic into all 3 hence increasing session time. Our Earned Views sometimes run into the 200% mark.
Yt brand managers are constantly asked these questions on creator hangout calls, and although adwords views "have less weigh algorithmically" [their direct quote], I have never heard Yt say it kills organic traffic.