How Many Video Uploads Before Starting an Adwords for Video Campaign?

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First post, be gentle.

I'm starting to churn out some fairly high production value content that I think is going to really appeal to my target demographic, who are kids in the 3-6 age range.

I'm just wondering, does anyone have any experience promoting with Adwords for Video to a similar demographic? How many videos did you create before initiating an Adwords for Video campaign? Did you see successful results?

I was going to put out half a dozen videos to test the waters and then give up if we didn't start getting views and subscriptions but then two things happened.

1. I discovered this site and realized success is a result of hard work so no half-assing it by just focusing on the video production side of things. I'm going to take the marketing side just as seriously over the next several months and see where it takes me.
2. I'm having such a fun time filming these videos, and the grandparents all love getting them.

Anyhow, looking for advice or feedback from those willing to share their experiences. This site is pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: KidsCorner

Purpleoak

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When it comes to using Adwords and all that, just pretty much whenever you feel you are ready to promote a video. Just make sure it is a video you believe will do well and you will see results

Reactions: Kesler's Dad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I just started using Adwords the other day and I've seen okay results; a lot of views but very little engagement/new subscribers. At first I targeted my ads to everyone (which is what YouTube recommends) and I noticed my watch time plummet. I was getting views, but most people were leaving within the first minute. Today I edited the ads to target specific channels and interests (gaming in my case). I'll report back once if I see any changes.

BTW I think your channel idea is really cool and your production value is really great; keep it up even if it takes more than a dozen videos to start seeing results.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Welcome!

First, if you plan to give up if you have no traction after 12 videos you better stop now, most probably it's going to take you much much longer, YouTube is a marathon, not a sprint as you'll find out soon enough. The kids channel market is extremely saturated and unless you have thousands of dollars to spend, you will have to battle your way through the ranks slowly, proving youtube AI that you are better than the rest of them. It took me over 100 videos, over 1000 hours spend and 7 months before I started getting promoted properly by YouTube. Use the time to learn, improve, see what works and what doesn't.

On the adwords, try to search for KiddieToysReview and FamilyToyReview posts in relation to adwords, lots of valuable tips there for you.
I personally went for 1 cent ads and only targeted at specific channels and sometimes particular videos even of channels I want to steal/source subscribers from. I've spend around 600 euro I think on ads but I know others have spent much more. And don't bother with buying ads on Facebook, it's a huge waste of money.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
... And don't bother with buying ads on Facebook, it's a huge waste of money.
I think that depends on your content, honestly. I'm very new, so take this with a grain of salt. I just ran a test ad on Facebook for 5 days, spent $15 and got about 500 views and over 20 new subscribers. I'm now currently running a 5-day AdWords YouTube campaign for $20 and am almost done. I've gotten several hundred views, but zero new subscribers.

For me, I think I was able to better target my niche with Facebook ads than I was able to target using AdWords.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think that depends on your content, honestly. I'm very new, so take this with a grain of salt. I just ran a test ad on Facebook for 5 days, spent $15 and got about 500 views and over 20 new subscribers. I'm now currently running a 5-day AdWords YouTube campaign for $20 and am almost done. I've gotten several hundred views, but zero new subscribers.

For me, I think I was able to better target my niche with Facebook ads than I was able to target using AdWords.
For 20 dollars you get 2000 views if you configured it right (not using default settinfs). Adwords is much harder to configure properly than facebook unfortunately.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Welcome to the wonder world of Yt. Checked out your videos, nice! I'm a huge fan of Seinfeld, really enjoyed the kids take on that! Is that a dolly you move your camera on?

The question at hand - short answer: probably in the range of 20-40 videos & 3-4 playlists. The thing about subs, is they need a reason to sub. Either that comes through a very strong emotional or content connection with the child actors, or some other ethereal quality about the content or the way it comes across. Or something very viral and unexpected from left field. Either way, they would need to see a pc screen full of content, or a few finger scrolls worth. As my good friend KidsCorner suggested, search back 1 year+ for our name, FamilyToyReview, and also RyanToysReview, for a few factors that went into Adwords consideration and channel growth.

Good luck!

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Welcome to the wonder world of Yt. Checked out your videos, nice! I'm a huge fan of Seinfeld, really enjoyed the kids take on that! Is that a dolly you move your camera on?

The question at hand - short answer: probably in the range of 20-40 videos & 3-4 playlists. The thing about subs, is they need a reason to sub. Either that comes through a very strong emotional or content connection with the child actors, or some other ethereal quality about the content or the way it comes across. Or something very viral and unexpected from left field. Either way, they would need to see a pc screen full of content, or a few finger scrolls worth. As my good friend KidsCorner suggested, search back 1 year+ for our name, FamilyToyReview, and also RyanToysReview, for a few factors that went into Adwords consideration and channel growth.

Good luck!
Really appreciate the feedback from everyone. And yeah, had the camera on a motorized, panning slider (so no one has to man it). I'm fairly lucky because I work in the film industry so I own all the latest and greatest audio and video equipment (shooting on two RED Epic Dragons) and can flip (edit) videos pretty quickly.

But yeah, never thought these would be so much fun to do so we'll for sure keep going and we've still got over a dozen videos that we've filmed and haven't edited yet so hitting that 100-video milestone doesn't seem like such the huge challenge it originally appeared to be.

Anyhow, I'll focus on content for for the next while until I hit that 40ish range then start the Adwords campaign. In the meantime, I'll take your advice and take in all I can from this forum so when I hit the ground, I hit it running.

Thanks again folks and hopefully I've got more than three subscribers in a year from now, heh heh.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For 20 dollars you get 2000 views if you configured it right (not using default settinfs). Adwords is much harder to configure properly than facebook unfortunately.
Well, 2,000 views for $20 will depend on the niche you are marketing to. AdWords uses different prices for different niches. You cannot assume that your niche has the same search volume and CTR as another niche. It's not a single set price for every advertiser.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Really appreciate the feedback from everyone. And yeah, had the camera on a motorized, panning slider (so no one has to man it). I'm fairly lucky because I work in the film industry so I own all the latest and greatest audio and video equipment (shooting on two RED Epic Dragons) and can flip (edit) videos pretty quickly.

But yeah, never thought these would be so much fun to do so we'll for sure keep going and we've still got over a dozen videos that we've filmed and haven't edited yet so hitting that 100-video milestone doesn't seem like such the huge challenge it originally appeared to be.

Anyhow, I'll focus on content for for the next while until I hit that 40ish range then start the Adwords campaign. In the meantime, I'll take your advice and take in all I can from this forum so when I hit the ground, I hit it running.

Thanks again folks and hopefully I've got more than three subscribers in a year from now, heh heh.
When I checked one of your videos this afternoon already I noticed the quality of the footage, I could almost see the fibers of the carpet on that overhead shot (puzzle video) haha. Love the dof an the slight panning also. Now I see you're using such camera's I understand why :)
What lighting did you use for this video? Natural light or some extra studio lights?