How many tags is too many tags for youtube?

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Although I think the title is even more important than tags (that's just my belief, I have no evidence not knowing the algorithm).
Last year one of YouTube's partner managers (works for YouTube with a @YOUTUBE email address) and I had a ~20 minute Audience Development Hangout consultation and he mentioned that if SEO were a table, the Title & Description would be the top and legs and the tags would just be the screws. He said they were still important, but not to overthink them because the Title & Description are the main components.

Reactions: babyteeth4

KYCnick

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You can get in trouble for too many tags?

I always try to max it out

BeanTubes

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You want to fill the tags to the maximum. You want to use as many keywords in your tags as possible. You also want to fill at the description with keywords for the video.

This is called Optimizing SEO. Read up on SEO and you will learn a lot about how to properly tag video's, titles and descriptions.

I hope this helps

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How can tags get you in trouble on YouTube????
It's not the number of tags that gets people in trouble, it's putting misleading tags. Make sure the tags are actually related to the video. For example tagging "Free offer" or "giveaway" on a video that doesn't have a giveaway, that's misleading.

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
500 characters is the max allowed on tags so I just try to get as close as that as I can without doing tags that are not really related to my video.

Aaron Mendoza

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How can tags get you in trouble on YouTube????
You can get the video marked as spam if its in the description, and possibly taken down giving you a strike. That's why there is a Tag spot to place all your tags which is a Max of 500 Characters.

More info via Fullscreen :
"Content creators! You may be aware already, but a heads up: over the last few months, YouTube has been issuing community strikes on videos that contain tag spam—unnecessary and excessive tags in their descriptions. So we wanted to let you know how you can avoid violating YouTube’s policy while still driving traffic effectively to your videos.

You might assume that stuffing your video descriptions with extra keywords will help your YouTube search ranking—but the reality is quite the opposite. Too many extra keywords can not only hurt your videos’ search ranking but can also result in a strike against your account.

Here’s an example of tag spam:

YouTube has shut down some channels who violate its tag spam policy—regardless of channel size. We’ve seen both small and large channels suspended for excessive tag spam."
I can't link it which is why i put part of it on here... Highlight some text and search with google to find full Article.

ChargunHD

The FawX is on the Hunt
Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Channel Type
Gamer
Max it out.

The more the better in my opinion because not only will it help reach out to an audience but also narrow it down to audiences who like your specific content.

Got a DOOM Video?

DOOM, DOOM PC, DOOM PC VIdeo Game, DOOM PC 2016, DOOM PC HD.........etc.

CubiCraft

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its not clear whether you mean tagging the description box or the tagging box.
As some people so max out the tagging box then add further tagging in the description field.
Don't tag in the description field (Just your nice description) and by all means max out in the tag section. I rarely max it out. I just add the relevant tags in various sentencing ways + 1 word / 2 word / 3 word relevant tags.
Is it ok to repeat the tags you used in the tagging box for your viewers to see what you tagged the video as? or is that a bad idea? because i have been doing so because of a video ive seen on YouTube saying that its a good idea to do so??

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
use TubeBuddy - it suggests tags for you to use and also tells you how many characters you have left to use for titles, descriptions, tags, etc. it's a pretty great tool that I need to spend more time learning to use better...there's so much to it

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is it ok to repeat the tags you used in the tagging box for your viewers to see what you tagged the video as? or is that a bad idea? because i have been doing so because of a video ive seen on YouTube saying that its a good idea to do so??
Do you mean to repeat your tags in the description field also; Like a list of your tags for your subs to see? If so dont do that. But do try to use the tags throughout a nicely written description.

Reactions: CubiCraft