How long would you say it takes you to edit an average video?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
One of our "trail" videos can take upwards of 20 hours. We shoot most videos using up to 5 cameras so I'll usually have 300-700 clips/5-6 hours of video to go through and edit down to the 5-8 minute final video.. The videos are always sync'd to music which is a lot of work then of course color correction which takes forever.. Then my obsessive tweaking/fixing goes on for a while..

Last edited:
Reactions: Camskiez
Reaction score
My videos take me about 5 hours to edit once I get all the footage uploaded. That includes my voiceover track. I'm still learning hitfilm4 express, but am liking it so far.
By the way @The NotARubicon! I saw your reply about my channel, but I can't reply to that thread... Obviously, I ended up keeping my name and channel and just going with it. Working out so far, I broke 1100 subs I think recently. I have a bunch of videos planned for this summer.

Reactions: The NotARubicon!

Camskiez

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
One of our "trail" videos can take upwards of 20 hours. We shoot most videos using up to 5 cameras so I'll usually have 300-700 clips/5-6 hours of video to go through and edit down to the 5-8 minute final video.. The videos are always sync'd to music which is a lot of work then of course color correction which takes forever.. Then my obsessive tweaking/fixing goes on for a while..
sounds like we have a lot in common! A lot of footage to edit down and also you seem like a perfectionist like me! It's both good and bad haha

mysticmotel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Each video takes about a week, from conception to editing and then posting. I want the editing to be as clean as possible :snaphappy:

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
My editing requires 40+ hours for my channel specifically. I can cut together and colour correct a short 30 second to 1 minute video given the imported media is well organized and I'm provided a shot log.

If you haven't heard of using a shot log I highly recommend it. Get your camera guy (if that is you, then you can do this) to print out an excel spreadsheet. Your camera should record by default the same clip titles (like MOV_802_0001) and every subsequent clip will be 1 number higher than the last. So on your spreadsheet you can indicate what kind of shots you took, the location of the shot, and whether or not it was a good take. This saves you from having to remember which take was the best take and not having to delete bad takes in camera. Some cameras allow you to set up custom clip names which can also make it easier when editing and can save a lot of time.

Robinhe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My 5-10min vlogs takes around 2-4hours to edit and I usually do it within same day.

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I probably spend around an hour or two editing the average video. But that number could easily be doubled or cut in half depending on the video. Of course after editing there's still making the thumbnail, choosing the title, tags, adding end cards, etc.. If we count all of the post production stuff, it'd be a larger number.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It usually takes me about 15 minutes per 1 minute of finished material, though it does depend a lot on what I'm editing.

Stephen Mottershead

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I feel really bad about saying this be I take about 15m to 30m to edit my tutorial. Saying that don't do much editing.