How Long Until Video / Channel Blows Up? Very High Relative Audience Retention

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah its a tricky one. You don't want to hurt your audience retention but unless you are a viral hit how do you get your video out there?! I'll be honest and say I did not care about audience retention for the first 6 months of my crusade lol, I made 3 website blogs for promoting my videos, 10+ facebook pages, utilised 30+ web forums and more. I learned how to SEO using long tail keywords and how to market/tailor my video to the audience. Listening to them was just as important as getting them to hit the red button.

athomepaintnight

Reaction score
When did their channel start experiencing exponential growth?

I have 320 subs, almost 30,000 views, 26 videos, and It'll be a year at the end of the month since I posted my first video. I make professional speed art/painting videos so posting every day is not an option. I average around 2 videos a month. Sometimes 3, depending on how much detail the art has.
I know what you mean. I am having the same problem. I am having a hard enough time sticking to two videos a week.

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Take Superhereospictures channel which was created March 18th, 2016. The first video received 967,000 views and one of the videos has over 26 million. They have over 70 million views in less than 30 days, not possible. This is nothing but viewbotting and subbotting. There are many channels particularly from non-USA locations that engage in outright fraud in attempt to solicit fraudulent adsense money. Every dime they can suck out of the system before being banned goes a long way for them. Youtube needs to do a better job getting rid of some of these shady channels that exists solely to milk the adsense program. Instead of quickly realizing the bot activity, they are showing these videos as trending and giving them real views.

There are a lot of great family channels out there that truly showcase family bonding and highlight what makes this youtube genre so amazing. Then there are other channels that exists to make a quick buck and if youtube doesn't figure this out, society will eventually pull the plug on this stuff all together.
My 2 year old stumbled onto their channel earlier this month. I don't like it. It's weird. I've come across 3 different Superman marries Elsa and Hulk officiates videos in the past month or so. All with music and no voices. I don't get it.

Also, FamilyToyReview, I checked out your channel. I like the how to make a giant surprise egg video. I was just recently wondering about that!

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
My 2 year old stumbled onto their channel earlier this month. I don't like it. It's weird. I've come across 3 different Superman marries Elsa and Hulk officiates videos in the past month or so. All with music and no voices. I don't get it.

Also, FamilyToyReview, I checked out your channel. I like the how to make a giant surprise egg video. I was just recently wondering about that!

Outside of the botting, I can see where those views come from: kids, and very young kids with access to ipads and mobile devices. I'm talking 2-5 year olds (just like your own :) ). They love Youtube. They couldn't care less about voices. They just want a visual and auditory stimulation that these types of video provide. They're smart enough to circumvent ads but the ad impression is still given. And many will watch the video in its entirety, which feeds to retention. It's nuts! And I'm not surprised your 2 year old has found such a channel either.

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Outside of the botting, I can see where those views come from: kids, and very young kids with access to ipads and mobile devices. I'm talking 2-5 year olds (just like your own :) ). They love Youtube. They couldn't care less about voices. They just want a visual and auditory stimulation that these types of video provide. They're smart enough to circumvent ads but the ad impression is still given. And many will watch the video in its entirety, which feeds to retention. It's nuts! And I'm not surprised your 2 year old has found such a channel either.
Right!? Bennett completely know his way around YouTube. He says, "Skip ad. Oh, skip ad," and presses the button over and over til the 5 seconds is up. I also think he likes to scroll through other videos more than he likes to watch the video he's on.