How Long Until Video / Channel Blows Up? Very High Relative Audience Retention

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just checked out one of their top videos, it had a spiderman kissing scene in the bedroom I dont think was appropriate for kids. It was actually kind of gross.

On a related note, i discovered a new channel from january with only 27 videos (mostly peppa pig) and it already has 2 million views. Theyre called top toys and the channel id is UC8391reVahTJX5ZXD3M

I dont know how they do it unless its the viewbotting thing.
I hadnt thought of people view botting, I'd seen channels with 5 videos and insane views and thought it must of been bigger companies setting up new channels and steering traffic to them through whatever powers they have, but I guess view botting makes more sense now.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

MCNE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The only reason I thought it was possible is because my first video got 500k views the month after I posted and I did nothing to help it. I just posted it and left it. It didn't get as big as the super hero ones but it started moving very fast by itself.

If they are botting it is disappointing.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The only reason I thought it was possible is because my first video got 500k views the month after I posted and I did nothing to help it. I just posted it and left it. It didn't get as big as the super hero ones but it started moving very fast by itself.

If they are botting it is disappointing.
What they are doing is botting plain and simple. They will eventually get caught, but not before they extort thousands from adsense. There needs to more of a vetting process for monetization. If this keeps up google will be forced to reserve advertising for only certain channels. It would be a crying shame for this mess to end up in the kids app.

Reactions: FamilyToyReview

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I read on Roberto Blake's comment (A Youtuber rising with good momentum the past 2 years), it takes roughly 50-100 videos, assuming they're producing decent contents, with proper SEO, descriptions, thumbnails and titles until someone starts seeing good traffic. He also said it's not until someone can start producing 3 videos weekly. The problem is, most Youtubers will quit before reaching these. So I will keep this in mind until I reach my 100th video. I'm only 10% there.

Reactions: NathanielGE

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The three videos a week thing does not apply to all. I know a few people who only upload occasionally and have done very well... 48 videos over 3 years... 341,804 subscribers 67,930,683 views

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The three videos a week thing does not apply to all. I know a few people who only upload occasionally and have done very well... 48 videos over 3 years... 341,804 subscribers 67,930,683 views
There's a lot of factors for those big success stories like those. With numbers that high, and assuming they were real views and subscribers with monetized contents, they probably had videos that went viral. But either way, those numbers I threw were based on average. The few people you mentioned are the exceptions. But by all means go do 48 videos in the span of 3 years. Just don't be surprised if you login and don't see the numbers anything close to that.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There's a lot of factors for those big success stories like those. With numbers that high, and assuming they were real views and subscribers with monetized contents, they probably had videos that went viral. But either way, those numbers I threw were based on average. The few people you mentioned are the exceptions. But by all means go do 48 videos in the span of 3 years. Just don't be surprised if you login and don't see the numbers anything close to that.
I do lots less now averaging one video every two weeks because I realized I was overwhelming my audience. My view count is about half of that one I posted so I know it works... for me. posting anymore would overwhelm my viewers and each video would have less chance ranking on first pages.

I'm not arguing with you. Different niches will each thrive from different sets of parameters. As mcne stated earlier a video a day works well for toy channels so it all relative to your niche.

Good luck

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When did their channel start experiencing exponential growth?

I have 320 subs, almost 30,000 views, 26 videos, and It'll be a year at the end of the month since I posted my first video. I make professional speed art/painting videos so posting every day is not an option. I average around 2 videos a month. Sometimes 3, depending on how much detail the art has.

Last edited:

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They took off pretty quick. Look up Enduro Kex. From memory they started out doing 10 minute edits and the videos ranked for watch time which is something really important. If u can make a 10 minute video and get 4minutes audience retention overall it's going to do well.

I remember speed art back when YouTube first came out. But I can honestly say I've never watched it since. It's there a market for it? Because if there isn't then u might not do well if thats what you are looking to do.

There has to be a market. Almost every channel model thinkable that can be successful is out there now. If you one similar of what you want to do that's been successful, study it from start to finish and back again. Then study it some more.

I was a YouTuber hobbyist for 7 years before I woke up one day and said I'm going to turn this into a job. A year later it is.

Painter

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They took off pretty quick. Look up Enduro Kex. From memory they started out doing 10 minute edits and the videos ranked for watch time which is something really important. If u can make a 10 minute video and get 4minutes audience retention overall it's going to do well.

I remember speed art back when YouTube first came out. But I can honestly say I've never watched it since. It's there a market for it? Because if there isn't then u might not do well if thats what you are looking to do.

There has to be a market. Almost every channel model thinkable that can be successful is out there now. If you one similar of what you want to do that's been successful, study it from start to finish and back again. Then study it some more.

I was a YouTuber hobbyist for 7 years before I woke up one day and said I'm going to turn this into a job. A year later it is.
I was promoting my videos for the first few months and I know that hurt my audience retention and watch time.

Yeah, there's a market for it. :) You just have to create artwork that people would be interested in watching. Characters of trending video games, comic books, cartoons, and movies are the best. I've collaborated with a couple of heavy hitting gaming channels recently; created some illustrations for them and in return they gave me shout outs. People who watch my videos love my work, its just getting more people to discover your channel when it's small is the challenge. The shout outs help in that department though. I always get a lot of subscribers and views when it happens. My channel is doing way better than it was months ago... Increase in daily views and watch time, just no exponential growth yet.

This has never been a hobby to me. I've been a professional freelance Illustrator and concept artist for years (I worked at a video game company a few years ago as a concept artist).