How Long Until Video / Channel Blows Up? Very High Relative Audience Retention

MCNE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@FamilyToyReview You sent me a dm, but because I am below 50 forum messages I can not respond back in dm. I plan to share my channel when I feel big enough, but not yet. Praying that will happen very soon.[DOUBLEPOST=1460050921,1460048981][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah that sounds logical, I only just realised your a kids channel. I read that the reason funtoyz collector became so popular was because her voice put the kids into a hypnotic trance that kept them calm and for this reason the parents just gave the kids the ipad and put on a playlist to keep them quiet for hours on end... so i guess make sure you utilise playlists too!
Funny thing is that the video was in 2 of my playlists before this wave and not it is in 577 playlists. I have no idea who put it in these playlists.[DOUBLEPOST=1460050984][/DOUBLEPOST]
500k views! What on earth was the video about! Was it a cute baby laughing? I'm going to go and check now, better not be a minecraft video. I don't know why I'm typing when I can just go and look....
Hasn't hit 500k yet...its hovering around 320k, but slowing down. Please go back up!!!!

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
@FamilyToyReview You sent me a dm, but because I am below 50 forum messages I can not respond back in dm. I plan to share my channel when I feel big enough, but not yet. Praying that will happen very soon.[DOUBLEPOST=1460050921,1460048981][/DOUBLEPOST]
Funny thing is that the video was in 2 of my playlists before this wave and not it is in 577 playlists. I have no idea who put it in these playlists.[DOUBLEPOST=1460050984][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hasn't hit 500k yet...its hovering around 320k, but slowing down. Please go back up!!!!
Ok no problem. I've found a few channels as new as mine who have found more success. So I must be doing something wrong. Time for an overhaul. This stuff can get kind of frustrating when you know you have some decent videos that are not getting exposure. Especially after making so many videos.

Were you getting traffic in suggested from a big channel that recently uploaded a new video? I've had temporary jumps from big channels that just uploaded a new video. But it was very shortlived and I didnt get nearly as many views, only about 7,000 per day.

MCNE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah it was from a new video, plus some from videos a bit older. I checked out your channel I think your videos are very good.Your son is ADORABLE!!!!! Even my kids thought he was gorgeous. Use that face. I would go back and change all your thumbnails. I think there should be a clear picture of him in each one Like Ryan Toys. In fact go through theirs and try to replicate the look. A smiling child, cute graphics and bright. Hailey's Magical Playhouse has more natural thumbnails, but you can see her clearly in each vid and the placement of the product is clear.

This was the first thing I noticed about your channel. The thumbnails did not draw me in. I think that tweak could change things a lot. This video New DinoTrux Ton Ton Lift Dump Truck Bed Toy Giant TonTon has more views than your other videos. It stood out to me too. It looks the most similar to Ryan Toys. Give the toy more lighting and if his face could show more it would grab a lot of attention. I hope you don't quit. I think a few tweeks would help.

Reactions: FamilyToyReview

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah it was from a new video, plus some from videos a bit older. I checked out your channel I think your videos are very good.Your son is ADORABLE!!!!! Even my kids thought he was gorgeous. Use that face. I would go back and change all your thumbnails. I think there should be a clear picture of him in each one Like Ryan Toys. In fact go through theirs and try to replicate the look. A smiling child, cute graphics and bright. Hailey's Magical Playhouse has more natural thumbnails, but you can see her clearly in each vid and the placement of the product is clear.

This was the first thing I noticed about your channel. The thumbnails did not draw me in. I think that tweak could change things a lot. This video New DinoTrux Ton Ton Lift Dump Truck Bed Toy Giant TonTon has more views than your other videos. It stood out to me too. It looks the most similar to Ryan Toys. Give the toy more lighting and if his face could show more it would grab a lot of attention. I hope you don't quit. I think a few tweeks would help.
I've been trying to avoid exposing him too much but I guess I should put him on thumbnails for the videos he's already in. And I could always pull back when the channel gets bigger.

Yeah the darkness of that tonton thumbnail has always bothered me. Thanks for reminding me how important the thumbnails are. I worked on a few but I should redo them all.

And thank you for your kind words! :)

Reactions: MCNE

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Those playlist adds are people adding them to their "favourite videos" or "watch later". Good for helping YouTube recognise your video is worth showing.

Even if your video is slowing down, you might find it does well on weekends and holidays for the next few years and is quite possibly the key video to your success, helping you build your audience.[DOUBLEPOST=1460068262][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've been trying to avoid exposing him too much but I guess I should put him on thumbnails for the videos he's already in. And I could always pull back when the channel gets bigger.

Yeah the darkness of that tonton thumbnail has always bothered me. Thanks for reminding me how important the thumbnails are. I worked on a few but I should redo them all.
MCNE is right about the thumbnail. If you can have a person in the photo you will get more views, than those who don't. It's human nature for people to want to connect with someone. If you can include emotion, even better again.

#1: Use a Close-up of a Person’s Face
Both offline and online, we love making connections with other people. When choosing your video thumbnail, choose an image that shows a person making eye contact with the viewer. This subtle visual cue draws people in and makes them feel more connected. Once that connection is made, people will be more likely to watch the video.

#2: Choose an Image That Conveys Emotion
As humans we’re intrigued by strong emotion. A thumbnail of someone yelling or showing anger captures our attention more than an image of someone staring blankly into space.

An image of a person showing emotion will make people want to find out more about your video.

If your video includes people, design a thumbnail that captures an emotional moment in the video.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The toy and family genre is a unique animal. The majority of your views will come from mobile iOS and Android. I have observed my kids watch these videos and even the videos they love, they tend to click off of them after two minutes or so. This is why popular toy channels get more views than other popular genre channels. Kids have more time to watch more videos because they don't watch the whole video. Annotations are essentially pointless because your audience will likely be on mobile and those do not work on that platform. Until you get a large amount of subscribers (not other toy channels just looking to promote themselves), you will have to rely on suggested video and unique quality content. It is the most annoying thing in the world to see other toy channels comment on your video to subscribe to their channel. If you want to promote your channel, use adwords and stop spamming people. I have been able to get over three million views on PJ Masks videos, but those views went way down after Toy Fair and the big channels started to do PJ Masks videos. Remember that this market is overly saturated and sometimes the quick success of channels like Ryanstoyreviews and Hailey's Magical Playhouse gives the false impression that being successful is easy. Just as people win big money in the lottery everyday, the majority lose and this is no different on youtube. The market is over-saturated and some of it is pure junk designed to make a quick buck. Also quality content does not necessarily mean success in the toy and family genre. There are plenty of successful channels with terrible audio, shaky cameras, annoying voices, horrendous editing and just plain bad content that gets lots of views.

Although I create family and toy related content, I do not advocate those that choose to do this solely based on profit. The motivation behind this should be for the enjoyment of doing this with your children and having fun. The saturation of this market with channels purely motivated by profit is eventually going to destroy the successful genre. It is nice to be rewarded with some adsense money, but some of the channels out there are engaged in some shady practices and basically motivated by greed. Some of the major channels are a prime example of this and I try to keep my children from watching those channels. I tip my hat to those that are making a living off this stuff, but I will be perfectly content with the fun associated with making family videos. They could eliminate google adsense tomorrow and I would still make the videos.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@FamilyToyReview
I plan to share my channel when I feel big enough, but not yet. Praying that will happen very soon.
Whenever people show up in the forum and ask for the 'secret sauce' but yet, they won't share their channel name, I don't feel the urge to be helpful.

MCNE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Whenever people show up in the forum and ask for the 'secret sauce' but yet, they won't share their channel name, I don't feel the urge to be helpful.
You can hold the sauce. I'll take the two all beef patties, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions on a sesame seed bun. Thanks everyone who contributed to this post. Your insight has been very valuable![DOUBLEPOST=1460077223,1460070409][/DOUBLEPOST]
The toy and family genre is a unique animal. The majority of your views will come from mobile iOS and Android. I have observed my kids watch these videos and even the videos they love, they tend to click off of them after two minutes or so. This is why popular toy channels get more views than other popular genre channels. Kids have more time to watch more videos because they don't watch the whole video. Annotations are essentially pointless because your audience will likely be on mobile and those do not work on that platform. Until you get a large amount of subscribers (not other toy channels just looking to promote themselves), you will have to rely on suggested video and unique quality content. It is the most annoying thing in the world to see other toy channels comment on your video to subscribe to their channel. If you want to promote your channel, use adwords and stop spamming people. I have been able to get over three million views on PJ Masks videos, but those views went way down after Toy Fair and the big channels started to do PJ Masks videos. Remember that this market is overly saturated and sometimes the quick success of channels like Ryanstoyreviews and Hailey's Magical Playhouse gives the false impression that being successful is easy. Just as people win big money in the lottery everyday, the majority lose and this is no different on youtube. The market is over-saturated and some of it is pure junk designed to make a quick buck. Also quality content does not necessarily mean success in the toy and family genre. There are plenty of successful channels with terrible audio, shaky cameras, annoying voices, horrendous editing and just plain bad content that gets lots of views.

Although I create family and toy related content, I do not advocate those that choose to do this solely based on profit. The motivation behind this should be for the enjoyment of doing this with your children and having fun. The saturation of this market with channels purely motivated by profit is eventually going to destroy the successful genre. It is nice to be rewarded with some adsense money, but some of the channels out there are engaged in some shady practices and basically motivated by greed. Some of the major channels are a prime example of this and I try to keep my children from watching those channels. I tip my hat to those that are making a living off this stuff, but I will be perfectly content with the fun associated with making family videos. They could eliminate google adsense tomorrow and I would still make the videos.

Which channels have done something wrong to get success? What did they do?

Reactions: just Moto

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
You can hold the sauce. I'll take the two all beef patties, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions on a sesame seed bun. Thanks everyone who contributed to this post. Your insight has been very valuable![DOUBLEPOST=1460077223,1460070409][/DOUBLEPOST]

Which channels have done something wrong to get success? What did they do?
Take Superhereospictures channel which was created March 18th, 2016. The first video received 967,000 views and one of the videos has over 26 million. They have over 70 million views in less than 30 days, not possible. This is nothing but viewbotting and subbotting. There are many channels particularly from non-USA locations that engage in outright fraud in attempt to solicit fraudulent adsense money. Every dime they can suck out of the system before being banned goes a long way for them. Youtube needs to do a better job getting rid of some of these shady channels that exists solely to milk the adsense program. Instead of quickly realizing the bot activity, they are showing these videos as trending and giving them real views.

There are a lot of great family channels out there that truly showcase family bonding and highlight what makes this youtube genre so amazing. Then there are other channels that exists to make a quick buck and if youtube doesn't figure this out, society will eventually pull the plug on this stuff all together.

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Take Superhereospictures channel which was created March 18th, 2016. The first video received 967,000 views and one of the videos has over 26 million. They have over 70 million views in less than 30 days, not possible. This is nothing but viewbotting and subbotting. There are many channels particularly from non-USA locations that engage in outright fraud in attempt to solicit fraudulent adsense money. Every dime they can suck out of the system before being banned goes a long way for them. Youtube needs to do a better job getting rid of some of these shady channels that exists solely to milk the adsense program. Instead of quickly realizing the bot activity, they are showing these videos as trending and giving them real views.

There are a lot of great family channels out there that truly showcase family bonding and highlight what makes this youtube genre so amazing. Then there are other channels that exists to make a quick buck and if youtube doesn't figure this out, society will eventually pull the plug on this stuff all together.
I just checked out one of their top videos, it had a spiderman kissing scene in the bedroom I dont think was appropriate for kids. It was actually kind of gross.

On a related note, i discovered a new channel from january with only 27 videos (mostly peppa pig) and it already has 2 million views. Theyre called top toys and the channel id is UC8391reVahTJX5ZXD3M

I dont know how they do it unless its the viewbotting thing.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV