How long it took you before start making money?

SkeletalKing

Reaction score
The reason I'm asking this is because I'm want to scope well with my plan and hit the target. I don't want to make ten episode animation with 3 min each and end up earning 10 cent per 1000 views and end up making %10 of what I have planned for.

When you started uploading videos and start earning money with adsense, did you actually start with $1 per 1000 view? If not, then how quick did your CPM raised to $1 per 1000 views by uploading quality content on weekly basis?

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
The $1 per 1000 is a (very) rough estimate that varies greatly on time of year, where in the world your views are coming from, and your target market/ demographics. Not to mention, CPM is linked to each video, not the channel.

For me, I've found that videos tend to under-perform before they reach 250k views.

Reactions: SkeletalKing

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
From my own experience, it did not start with $1:1000 views. I get below $0.50 per 1000 views, have went as low as $0.09 per 1000 views at the time. Only after 30+ videos, after 6 months of activity and an average of 600+ views a day did I see me having no less than $0.75 per 1000 views per month for the whole channel. But some months are definitely better than others.

If it means anything, I publish 4-6 videos per month.

Also, look at the amount I get for a random day in October this year. Left side is the estimated ad revenue, right side is the amount of views per video. The ratio varies a lot per video.
upload_2016-12-8_12-33-29.png

Reactions: SkeletalKing

EelKat

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For me it varies from as little as .23c per thousand views (often), to as much as $4 per thousand views (only happened once).

I was bored and needed something to do, so for a hobby to pass the time, I started filming my daily walks with my dog on my phone, and just chattered about whatever popped into my head. I uploaded them to YouTube not realizing you could make money off them, until I found the section to link an adsence account and linked it up, not expecting to see anything from it. Money started showing up on my dashboard the very first day. It was only .02c but it was like: "OMG! I made 2 pennys! Yay!"

I started uploading videos in March 2016 and gained 35 subs and earned $3 after 30 days of uploading 1 dog walk vlog video (40 minutes each) a day. From April to August I averaged $3 a month income. By August I had 300 subs.

Because I'm a gamer, I started adding a few random game play videos here and there to test out what it was like to play games live.

In September I changed stuff around, because my boyfriend (a photographer) bought me a professional grade camera, and built me an office for my birthday (in August). He also got me a video editing software. So after September, in addition to the vlogs, I started recording my at work (I'm an author) and next thin I knew I was doing BookTube readings and AuthorTube how-tos for writers.

In September I was doing 2 to 3 videos uploaded a day (1 vlog + 1 BookTube or AuthorTube and sometimes also a gameplay). They were now far better filming quality and receiving much better editing. It was at this point that I saw a dramatic change in subs, views, and income.

It took me from March to August to reach 300 subs and averaging about 30 views a day across all videos total and still averaging $3 a month income.

By the end of September I had 450 subs, my first time gaining 100 subs in a single month and was suddenly seeing 100+ views a day. My income jumped to $5+ that month.

Right now, 2 months later, I'm at 907 subs... gaining more subs in the past 2 weeks, then I had gained total during the 6 months previous. My income is just now reaching the $10 a month bracket. I just crossed 153,000 views this week.

Interestingly, while I'm currently averaging 350 views a day across all videos, about 120 views a day are all on 1 single video, with the rest getting only 3 or 4 views a day. I have a video with 67k views, two with 16k views, one with 8k views, about a dozen with 1k views each, and most of the rest of my 412 videos have fewer then 30 views each video total.

If I was earning the fabled $1 per 1,000 views, I would have crossed $150 income by now, however, I have instead, just cross $65 - less then half the $1 per 1,000 views myth.

If it continues to increase at the rate it is right now, however, I should reach $100 earned by February 2017, and so receive my first payday hopefully in March 2017. Meaning it took about 12 months to earn my first $100

I'm not sure how this compares to others' growth rates, so not sure if this info will actually help you out or not. It seems to vary greatly from one channel to the next depending on the type of content they make and the type of marketing they do.

I've seen others who started their channels same time I did, who are struggling to get to their first 100 subs still, and I know of one guy who started same time as me, who just this week crossed 92,000 subs. I'm not sure what the differance is, why some zip to the top fast, others stay stuck at low numbers, and then the ones like me, just have a slow but steady increase over time. Anyways, hope that helps you out.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started making money after 4 months-5 months. When I first started I made around 7 cents per day. Now I make around $1000 per month.

Reaction score
Hello, youtube community goers. This is Nathan Howe of @HoweFilms.

I've been known to even get a few sense for a thousand views to up to a $1.00 per hundred views. Sometimes the math is hard to decipher, not sure how the analytic and revenue match together.

Thank you, I'd love to hear more about any tips or trick whomever would like to share.

Best
Nathan Howe
Kamakazshow

AMX Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i still have yet to make any profit, getting known is a huge challenge for us lets players specially when everyone thinks all gaming channels are the same and won't give us a chance