How long do you spend editing?

MuchDoge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The more complex the editing software, the longer it takes to edit. I'm using pretty advanced software even though I have had no experience with it (Premiere Pro). It takes me 4-8 hours to edit a 3-5 minute video. Viewers normally have very short attention spans (my view average is 54 seconds! Ouch!), so I have to make a lot of edits to make the content entertaining and addicting to watch.

Overtime I believe I will become natural at it, editing things in a breeze, but that is in the far future.

Doodel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends. Cause i have one series where the vids that i make only takes about one hour to edit. And then there is some other videos that takes about 5-8 hours to edit. And then there is one series where it takes about 11 hours to edit. (The series that i use about 11 hours to edit one video is my ''The Ultimate Team'' Series)

David Sargent

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I make timelapse videos, which actually don't take long at all in post production. That's almost entirely dependent upon the number of images. Since I export to 4k, the only real post production time I have is the maybe 20 minutes it takes for me to do exposure, cropping, and color correcting as well as minor branding and then the bulk of that time is exporting which can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 or 3 hours depending on the job.

Now, this is all disregarding pre-production and production.
(Edit - I know the question was about editing only, but I wrote it and I don't want to delete it)

I put a lot of thought into my locations, durations, compositions, and subjects - probably anywhere from 2-4 hours just thinking before I go out.

During production, on scene, I can drive for anywhere up to 2 or 3 hours, or more on big trips, and shoot for up to 4 hours sometimes depending on the subject matter.

Total that all up and I have almost 15 hours on the high end for each timelapse video I commit to. Sometimes I can shave some hours off of that by cutting down my shoot time, making quick decisions and if my timelapse is under a minute, my render time can be pretty quick on days that Premiere cooperates.

Anyway, hope my insight was worth something to someone!

Heather White

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm a new Youtuber so my videos are only a few minutes in length. It usually takes me 45 minutes to 2 hours to edit a video, but I take my time. Hope this helps(:)

Fusionate

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends on the video . If it is one of my letsplays , i only cut out the boring stuff and add in a few bits and pieces here and there taking about 30min-1hour.If it is any other , it can take up to 1-2 days:)

Kota

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I take about a solid 1 to 2 hours to edit a 15 minute video :) I normally record about 30mins of footage and take out the boring parts :D

ComradeSupreme

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
I never knew how to edit before doing videos so my first two took almost a week each to make while working with hours of footage.

Now, I've gotten so used to it that I can dish out three videos that are only a couple minutes long in an hour or so. Long videos take a couple days. My latest one, which probably has the best editing of everything so far, took a week just because I tried so many different things.

James Walker

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Per 7-12 minute vlog, I roughly spend around 2-3 hours editing. It's not so bad considering the workload that some of you guys put in to get your videos out there!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I usually spend about 2 to 5 days per video I edit and 2 to 4 weeks for my animations. My longest animation took me 3 and a half months. I will be editing a movie (a feature film, full length, 1 hour 30 mins, in theaters type of movie, yeah :D) and me along with 4 or 5 other editors will take us 4 to 5 months. Super excited to edit this film!

ChocoStream

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i honestly can say i spend aroung 2-5 hours of editing because as i edit the video new ideas come to me and i input them right away on my video and dust why it takes such time :)