How is the Coronavirus affecting your channel? Let's Compare notes!

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
For my channel, things were going along good. I was steadily recuperating from the January cliff. But in the last week, things have taken a downturn. Not huge, but all this cornavirus stuff is definitely drawing people attention away from my channel.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't know honestly, this whole month of March has been a wild ride for me and I'm trying to cool down and be level headed again - I'm a very excitable person and I know this isn't good for my mental health in the long-term, so I'm taking steps to curb my excitement.

I've blown up since March 1st, my video from Februrary 25th went viral on YT Homepage, it's at almost 40k views atm and still getting 500-600 views/day. My last video from 4 days ago is getting a steady 100-200 views/hour, most of it coming from Homepage. It's slowing down a bit today, but I suspect it's gonna keep getting 1k views/day for a while, maybe a week, maybe even more, who knows, I've never had viral videos blow up like this before... Even some of my old videos from 2019 suddenly shot up to 100-200 views/day.

I can only suspect a lot of those views are from people self-isolating, bored at home. Some of those people that play Dungeons & Dragons in their free time anyway, now have even more free time on their hands. And lookey lookey, I bring them the best-produced videos I've ever uploaded to my channel - the thumbnails are clickbait as frick and the videos themselves are relatively short, dynamic, fast, snappy and to the point while delivering a ton of information, unlike my old videos that were up to 2 hours long and lulled people to sleep.

I predict I might be winning in the short-term. I even got 10 new patrons this month (3 of them left immediately - Patreon is a chaotic beast). My YT ads CPM dropped below $5 throughout the first half of March, only to recover on March 15th, hitting $7.5 just as my latest video blew up as well and earning me $17+ that day, my best day yet.

Long-term? If lockdowns occur worldwide, businesses will go out, supply chain breaks, food and necessity prices go up, millions of people lose their jobs, economy goes to crap and what happens to my Patreon? Well, the first thing people cut down on is spending money on fun things, so that's gonna hurt my earnings for sure. The YT ad earnings will tank too most likely, unless I somehow start getting even more traffic, something I'm not counting on at all - I always try to prepare for worst.

I am gearing up for that possibility, I've been looking into one side hustle for a while now, even before all this craze has taken over the world. I'll most likely divert some focus to it to weather the storm, but I will make sure to keep pumping out new content as mercilessly as I can, because I want to keep my current growth snowballing even faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
No doubt it will be a ride, but if we all keep our cool, we will get through it. Here is a little something I threw together today to relieve stress. Hope it helps.

Toilet Paper Mummy.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Min/Max Munchking

BillSanDiego

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Actually I would have guessed, since people are more at home, they would watch more videos. But my channel is tanking, too. From an average of 15-20K per day between February and March 7, went down to the lowest point yesterday to 3K views per day.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Actually I would have guessed, since people are more at home, they would watch more videos. But my channel is tanking, too. From an average of 15-20K per day between February and March 7, went down to the lowest point yesterday to 3K views per day.
That is what I thought too, but it seems that what they are doing is watching more content about the Coronavirus. Guess if we want more views, we should produce content about the Coronavirus.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Views are up. (people in lockdown watching more vids)
but
Revenue is down (IMHO - Companies are cutting their budgets as they anticipate consumers aren't going to be consuming.)

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Views are up. (people in lockdown watching more vids)
but
Revenue is down (IMHO - Companies are cutting their budgets as they anticipate consumers aren't going to be consuming.)
That seems logical to some extent. Although, there is a lot of consumer shopping going on for certain products. It is just not the products that there are ads for, unless it is the Charmin commercial. LOL

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
That makes me wonder whether I would've had even more views on my latest video had it not been for the rapidly increasing coronavirus panic over the last week. My CTR plummeted from 12% throughout the entire first 2 days (3k views) all the way down to 5.5% today. I know CTR decreases over time, but I've never had it cut in half like this.

It's impossible to say, but I'm certain this is affecting everything right now as the attention of the entire world and the economy is going through a radical shift.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
It kind of makes sense that the radical lifestyle change across the entire globe results in people's interests shifting momentarily.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I cover indoors type of escapist activity on my channel. I can only imagine the horror of seeing your channels' traffic plummet because of a circumstance you have 0 control over :(