How is revenue for content ID claimed video? - Collab content ID claim

kabayashy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I got a copyright claim from "Collab". After some research this net work just go around and manually using content ID to claim videos that has high views. Many people suffered from this guys too.
My question is: how the revenue distributed between you and the network/company claim your video?
My video had 200k views before the claim - will I benefit from this amount of views?
Anyone here has the experience please help me :)
Thanks very much.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
In early 2016, YouTube changed what happens to earnings on a claimed video during a dispute. Until the dispute is decided, the earnings from the video go into an "escrow account" and when the dispute is decided, the winner gets the held earnings. Any earnings you made before the claim will remain yours.

If either of the following happen: A. You don't dispute the claim or B. You acknowledge the claim, from that point forward, all money the video earns goes to the claimant. If you dispute the claim and the claimant rejects your dispute, as long as your channel has the right to appeal rejected disputes, the escrow will continue through your appeal. Again, if your channel doesn't have the right of appeal on rejected claims, all revenue from the point of rejection will go to the claimant.

Hope this answer is helpful!

kabayashy

Reaction score
In early 2016, YouTube changed what happens to earnings on a claimed video during a dispute. Until the dispute is decided, the earnings from the video go into an "escrow account" and when the dispute is decided, the winner gets the held earnings. Any earnings you made before the claim will remain yours.

If either of the following happen: A. You don't dispute the claim or B. You acknowledge the claim, from that point forward, all money the video earns goes to the claimant. If you dispute the claim and the claimant rejects your dispute, as long as your channel has the right to appeal rejected disputes, the escrow will continue through your appeal. Again, if your channel doesn't have the right of appeal on rejected claims, all revenue from the point of rejection will go to the claimant.

Hope this answer is helpful!
Thanks a lot.
So if I just leave the claim there and don't dispute it, all the revenue before the claim will be mine or the claimer?
Any earnings you made before the claim will remain yours.
if your channel doesn't have the right of appeal on rejected claims, all revenue from the point of rejection will go to the claimant.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thanks a lot.
So if I just leave the claim there and don't dispute it, all the revenue before the claim will be mine or the claimer?
As far as I am aware, yes it will be yours; however, now I have a few questions for you...

If you are not planning to dispute, then you knew you were using content you didn't own the rights to in the first place; yes? Are you aware that when you joined the Partner Program, you basically made a statement that all content you submitted you would own the proper rights and permissions for? In addition, are you aware that if more of your content is found not to be under proper licensure or of your own personal creation you could actually be kicked out of the Partner Program entirely?

kabayashy

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, yes it will be yours; however, now I have a few questions for you...

If you are not planning to dispute, then you knew you were using content you didn't own the rights to in the first place; yes? Are you aware that when you joined the Partner Program, you basically made a statement that all content you submitted you would own the proper rights and permissions for? In addition, are you aware that if more of your content is found not to be under proper licensure or of your own personal creation you could actually be kicked out of the Partner Program entirely?
Thanks for the reply. The reason for not disputing is that I don't want trouble and risk to receive any strike.
You probably know about Collab and their manual detecting method for claiming videos?
Any evidence? Any time stamp to let me know which part of the video? No.
I use some short funny clip (like 1-3s) only to illustrate my video idea - and it is fair use in many circumstance.
I can try to dispute that - and then so what? Youtube will not be involved - it's only Collab's decision to accept or deny my dispute. What if they deny? (and 99% they will because they are greedy people - many creators are their victim). I could receive a take down notice - I don't want it to happen.
So I will just leave them alone.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thanks for the reply. The reason for not disputing is that I don't want trouble and risk to receive any strike.
You probably know about Collab and their manual detecting method for claiming videos?
Any evidence? Any time stamp to let me know which part of the video? No.
I use some short funny clip (like 1-3s) only to illustrate my video idea - and it is fair use in many circumstance.
I can try to dispute that - and then so what? Youtube will not be involved - it's only Collab's decision to accept or deny my dispute. What if they deny? (and 99% they will because they are greedy people - many creators are their victim). I could receive a take down notice - I don't want it to happen.
So I will just leave them alone.
Are you the poster from the official Help Forum who's been going on about Collab then? To be honest, before I saw that post, I'd never heard of them; and I know about lot a of the people and organizations who do both automatic Content ID and manual claiming.

In the case of Fair Use, there are four factors to be considered, and I will not go into them here. Try searching the term on YouTube Help as there is a good article on it. The Fair Use "Doctrine" can only truly be tested in a court of law. On YouTube, as you said, since YT itself doesn't get involved, the claimant can easily dismiss a Fair Use dispute; yet the fact remains that you have used copyright media without a proper licence to do so; and by doing so, you have endangered your membership in the Partner Program.

You never answered the questions I asked, so I will simply derive from this that you do indeed know what you are doing and the potential danger of losing your YouTube income altogether. So let me ask you one final question instead...

Would it not be better to avoid this situation altogether, either by changing your content type to one which doesn't need to use copyright media, or by from this point forward making sure to obtain the proper licenses and permissions for copyright media you intend to use?

kabayashy

Reaction score
Are you the poster from the official Help Forum who's been going on about Collab then? To be honest, before I saw that post, I'd never heard of them; and I know about lot a of the people and organizations who do both automatic Content ID and manual claiming.

In the case of Fair Use, there are four factors to be considered, and I will not go into them here. Try searching the term on YouTube Help as there is a good article on it. The Fair Use "Doctrine" can only truly be tested in a court of law. On YouTube, as you said, since YT itself doesn't get involved, the claimant can easily dismiss a Fair Use dispute; yet the fact remains that you have used copyright media without a proper licence to do so; and by doing so, you have endangered your membership in the Partner Program.

You never answered the questions I asked, so I will simply derive from this that you do indeed know what you are doing and the potential danger of losing your YouTube income altogether. So let me ask you one final question instead...

Would it not be better to avoid this situation altogether, either by changing your content type to one which doesn't need to use copyright media, or by from this point forward making sure to obtain the proper licenses and permissions for copyright media you intend to use?
I'm not the one who whining about Collab on Help Forum basically because it doesn't help much.
I'm well aware that I'm using material that's not owned by me nor licensed to me - which can harm my YT channel. I also aware that defining Fair Use isn't simple and claimant can easily deny it.
I'malso well aware that you are trying to help me by showing that I can not keep using those material.
So what do I do?
I didn't want to mention it because it doesn't relate to the question I asked. However you have show consistency in asking for that matter, so surely I will stop using those material (and other material which is not owned or licensed to me). That's my solution since I receive the claim.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm not the one who whining about Collab on Help Forum basically because it doesn't help much.
I'm well aware that I'm using material that's not owned by me nor licensed to me - which can harm my YT channel. I also aware that defining Fair Use isn't simple and claimant can easily deny it.
I'malso well aware that you are trying to help me by showing that I can not keep using those material.
So what do I do?
I didn't want to mention it because it doesn't relate to the question I asked. However you have show consistency in asking for that matter, so surely I will stop using those material (and other material which is not owned or licensed to me). That's my solution since I receive the claim.
I just, as a fellow creator, wish to see you be allowed to both keep creating YouTube videos, and keep making money from them. Good luck with your channel my friend!

kabayashy

Reaction score
I just, as a fellow creator, wish to see you be allowed to both keep creating YouTube videos, and keep making money from them. Good luck with your channel my friend!
Thanks my friend. Have a nice day :)