How is honest trailers not getting copyright strikes?

FAM0X

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Am I allowed to use clips from shows and other video? I would think the answer is no, but then there are big channels like bad lip reading, or honest trailers that is based on taking other clips and making them funny... how is that not against copyright?

JmyDown

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger
I'm guessing it is because they are part of a network. Rather then the videos being taken down immediately, the network gets the request and its up to the network to keep it or remove it.

YouTube, unfortunately, wont fight your legal battles for you, its safer for them to block it. If your part of a network, the network will take on any legal battles that arises. They stick up for your content.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Because studios let them do it and in many cases even pay them to do it. When you're a big channel, things change significantly.

Reactions: Bibek and Sebas

Melody Anne

I've Got It
Reaction score
Isn't honest trailers considers parody? If so wouldn't they be covered under fair use?

Reactions: Mithril

aranyoli1231

Entertainer/Vlogger aka Da Boss
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Because they talk before an after it. You cannot upload the exact trailer but if you talk on it, then you can use it

mouseinsneakers

real life rodentia
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think parody/fair use laws in collaboration with the networks they are a part of are the reason.

Reactions: Mithril