How important is a Discord channel these days?

Rust Quick Electric

THE Rust Electricity Channel
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As you all know Discord is everywhere and very easy to set up. I am in the process of creating a new one for my channel specifically rather than promoting the general one for my niche. Have you found it’s made a big difference in early video success and viewer interaction? Any negatives?

Just looking to hear some input!

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I like it just because it allows me to make friends with my subscribers, and since I am a gaming channel, I can actually host events where we all play a game and I can turn it into a video. I'm actually working on a Discord Promo right now, which I hope will inspire some more subs to join. I also host polls on discord that people can vote on, like "Would you rather I make longer videos less often, or shorter videos more often?" or "What video do you want me to make next, Discord Shenanagins or CS:GO Funny Moments". I think it's a good thing to do if you're a gaming channel, or have a decent following, cause if you aren't one of those things your server is gonna die out pretty quick.

Rust Quick Electric

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I like it just because it allows me to make friends with my subscribers, and since I am a gaming channel, I can actually host events where we all play a game and I can turn it into a video. I'm actually working on a Discord Promo right now, which I hope will inspire some more subs to join. I also host polls on discord that people can vote on, like "Would you rather I make longer videos less often, or shorter videos more often?" or "What video do you want me to make next, Discord Shenanagins or CS:GO Funny Moments". I think it's a good thing to do if you're a gaming channel, or have a decent following, cause if you aren't one of those things your server is gonna die out pretty quick.
Agreed! I think the connection with subscribers along with community events really helps viewer retention and growth. I’m definitely going to start getting a personal channel discord set up and established for my next video.

Reactions: PhysicsFreak101

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
hmm. I use it to speak to other youtube creators. I'd not thought of using it to talk to subscribers -but I think if it was open invitation for anyone to join It would likely just attract scammers /phishing /dodgy amazon sellers trying to peddle their :poop:

Reactions: Michael Linson

ShireenPlaysYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I was thinking about making a Discord but I wasn't sure if I should until I came across this thread. I think I'm going to try it and see what happens :)

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I made a discord but I never used it. I don´t know how it works to be honest and i dont have the time:) The same goes for Twitter. I had Twitter once but never had the time to do it right so I gave up on it. But my channel is doing fine so to answer your question can do without it:) But that being said it is always nice with more options to get your vids shared:up2:

Rust Quick Electric

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just wanted to do a quick follow-up to my results.

So I went through and created my own channel's Discord server prompting viewers to join in for discussion. Had around 10 people join and the interaction has been awesome! Not only do I get recommendations for future videos and suggestions on how to improve my videos, but I get to actually interact and play games with the viewers themselves.

Frontier Forge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just wanted to do a quick follow-up to my results.

So I went through and created my own channel's Discord server prompting viewers to join in for discussion. Had around 10 people join and the interaction has been awesome! Not only do I get recommendations for future videos and suggestions on how to improve my videos, but I get to actually interact and play games with the viewers themselves.
Hmm. Very interesting. I'll have to look into setting up a channel discord server.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Best use of discord is for best understanding your audience. Now, keep in mind though, discord will attract a younger audience. If your content already caters to a younger crowd, then this would be perfect. However, if you have a channel that reach out to multiple age groups, this will not be indicative of your exact audience. Still good info though as to see how the younger audience is like and see if you can properly adjust your content to keep them engaged.

Rust Quick Electric

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Best use of discord is for best understanding your audience. Now, keep in mind though, discord will attract a younger audience. If your content already caters to a younger crowd, then this would be perfect. However, if you have a channel that reach out to multiple age groups, this will not be indicative of your exact audience. Still good info though as to see how the younger audience is like and see if you can properly adjust your content to keep them engaged.
I agree to an extent. I think the age group of your discord is directly related to the content you produce. I'm 27 myself and find that a majority of the people I play games with and use Discord with tend to be in the >20 year old age group. While I do agree a majority of games or content on Youtube might draw in a younger audience, it is not always the case.

I certainly will say that it is very useful to be able to get instant feedback on how relative content is to your audience.

Reactions: ShireenPlaysYT