How I gained (almost) 1500 Subscribers in the past 6 months.

Matt Dean

Reaction score
Website
youtubegrowth.co.uk
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good day to you fellow Youtubers, My name is Matt Dean and I am Certified in Youtube channel growth. That is not however how I was able to grow my channel so quickly.

Today, I'd like to share with you some of my experiences with the platform this past few months, what has worked for me. This post isn't supposed to be a flex, but more of a "my story" kind of thing.

So my channel is all about helping smaller youtubers to grow their channels, thats the message of my channel, but really I help anyone thats willing to learn.

In the first 2 months of my channel going live I didnt get much traction, I think I had maybe 100 - 200 subscribers gained at that point.

It wasn't until month 3 when things started to change for me, I looked into my comments section and saw that people where asking me for advice (obviously because thats what the channel is for) So i started making a few videos centered around what people had asked me in the comments, I optimised them as best as they could be, made compelling thumbnails and titles and let them go.

The intial reaction from my subscribers was pretty awesome, people liked that I was creating content that they had suggested, but then something amazing happened.

2 weeks after the release of one particular video, after it had gained around 300 views (200% more than my previous uploads) it started to show up in the search results on Youtube.

Being a growth expert on the platform, I went to my analytics and saw what keywords/keyphrases where bringing people to my channel and I quickly re-optimised the videos to match those META Tags.

4 months later and that video now has over 110,000 views and has been propelling my channel forward since upload, netting me on average 250 subscribers every single month.

What I want you to take away from this post is, sometimes a video you upload may do better than you ever expect, the trick to growth is to be ready when it does. Study your analytics and make sure to optimise and reoptimise your content as often as you can, to see what does and doesnt work.

I wish you all the best of luck and if you'd like to check out my channel then the link is here : Youtube Growth

Reactions: AllVisuals4U

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I went to my analytics and saw what keywords/keyphrases where bringing people to my channel and I quickly re-optimised the videos to match those META Tags.
Could you elaborate on this? Where can I this in the analytics page? Sounds like a super helpful technique!

Matt Dean

Reaction score
Website
youtubegrowth.co.uk
Channel Type
Youtuber
Could you elaborate on this? Where can I this in the analytics page? Sounds like a super helpful technique!
Sure! The analytics for every video becomes available a few days after the video goes live. What you need to look for is the traffic source. Primarily search.

I use The YouTube studio app on my phone and look in the discovery tab!

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

irismedia

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is great stuff! Congrats Matt, and thanks for sharing.

I have an ten year old account that is sitting at 350 subs. I haven't been uploading anything. Would optimizing those previous work if I wanted to immerse myself in YT again? Or should I just start a new channel with a new account? I hear newer accounts are looked upon favorably by YT as opposed to older accounts with minimal activity.

tiktokchanz

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
I see.. so I need to look at my analytics and check the keywords/keyphrases that brought people into my channel. Okay, thank you for your help!

xpdeus

Reaction score
New youtube analytics sucks. Old one was much more readable

chaits

Reaction score
Good day to you fellow Youtubers, My name is Matt Dean and I am Certified in Youtube channel growth. That is not however how I was able to grow my channel so quickly.

Today, I'd like to share with you some of my experiences with the platform this past few months, what has worked for me. This post isn't supposed to be a flex, but more of a "my story" kind of thing.

So my channel is all about helping smaller youtubers to grow their channels, thats the message of my channel, but really I help anyone thats willing to learn.

In the first 2 months of my channel going live I didnt get much traction, I think I had maybe 100 - 200 subscribers gained at that point.

It wasn't until month 3 when things started to change for me, I looked into my comments section and saw that people where asking me for advice (obviously because thats what the channel is for) So i started making a few videos centered around what people had asked me in the comments, I optimised them as best as they could be, made compelling thumbnails and titles and let them go.

The intial reaction from my subscribers was pretty awesome, people liked that I was creating content that they had suggested, but then something amazing happened.

2 weeks after the release of one particular video, after it had gained around 300 views (200% more than my previous uploads) it started to show up in the search results on Youtube.

Being a growth expert on the platform, I went to my analytics and saw what keywords/keyphrases where bringing people to my channel and I quickly re-optimised the videos to match those META Tags.

4 months later and that video now has over 110,000 views and has been propelling my channel forward since upload, netting me on average 250 subscribers every single month.

What I want you to take away from this post is, sometimes a video you upload may do better than you ever expect, the trick to growth is to be ready when it does. Study your analytics and make sure to optimise and reoptimise your content as often as you can, to see what does and doesnt work.

I wish you all the best of luck and if you'd like to check out my channel then the link is here : Youtube Growth
this is so true, I often revisit a week old video that was posted just to see what traction it is getting and from where and try to reoptimize
more than often I feel the videos are already optimized, can you say something about videos which already look optimized, maybe different ways of re-optimizing a video that already has all the necessary keywords?