Morbidejs

Liking YTtalk
Since I watched one video about, how to rank high in the YouTube search, I started to develop my own way, how I do keyword research and SEO. And it has really helped me to bring traffic to my channel!

I use Google keyword planner to find main keyword that match my content.

I write down all the possible ideas into an Excel spreadsheet, taking into account these factors:
1) Google monthly searches
2) Youtube exact search results
3) Google exact sarch results
4) advicable price (if you monetize your videos)

When you search for keywords I enable option, that shows only very related keywords

There are 3 factors I use to choose possible keywords:
1) More searches than YT search results
2) 500+ monthly searches on Google
3) Less than 5k search results on YT

When I apply these factors, It allows me to narrow down to best keywords.

Now I divide Google monthly searches with YouTube search results - the lower the result, the better the keyword is.

Let`s take for and example keywords for an online browser game Forge of Empires:
dbawhudiuxncd60xv2ud.jpg

When you put your keywords together and compare them, it`s much easier to pick the best and the worst keyword. In this case the best keyword is Forge of Empires guide as it has 40 times more searches than search results on Youtube.

The worst keyword in this case Forge of Empires tutorial, as it has almost 7 times more search results on YouTube than monthly searches, meaning the competition is much higher.

The coeficients shows, how likely you are to rank up higher in the YouTube search, based on YT search and Google monthly searches ratio.

I use Google searches and price as an additional indicator, when comparing keywords with similar coeficient.

This method also allows me to pick keywords to delete, when I have used all the tag space (500 characters).

It`s important to understand, how competitive is the nich you are making video about. In this case there are not millions of videos on Forge of Empires, so it`s ok to use keywords with less than 500 monthly searches.

I`m not stating this is the best or right way, how to do keyword research, but this method has helped me alot.

I hope this helps out someone. And I would really like to hear your methods, how to do keyword research! I want to learn from you and udnerstand more![DOUBLEPOST=1471613425,1471605336][/DOUBLEPOST]@David Jolly , thank`s for liking my post! :)

Last edited:
This is an interesting post, you obviously know your stuff.

As a marketing professional I'm familiar with SEO. Your process seems to work well, I would also add that it's useful to look at your competition or similar YouTubers to see what keywords they are using.

Have you also considered how effective influencer marketing is? Or are your familiar with the term?

This is an interesting post, you obviously know your stuff.

As a marketing professional I'm familiar with SEO. Your process seems to work well, I would also add that it's useful to look at your competition or similar YouTubers to see what keywords they are using.

Have you also considered how effective influencer marketing is? Or are your familiar with the term?

I feel I have made a big step of understanding SEO, so I wanted to post this method and get some feedback/ideas and other`s experience to improve. Actually my knowledge about SEO is purely based on what I have gathered on the internet for the last couple of months by waching videos, reading and exchanging experience with others.

Yeah, I have looked at competitors tags to get more ideas on keywords to work around. As I`m mostly making videos about this game Forge of Empires, I have already learned all the main keyword groups to work around.

There`s still room for improvements. I`m curious how my videos will be ranked when my channel gains more authority. Considering I have only 18 subs, I`m very happy with the results I`m getting.

No, I have not come across "influencer marketing". I looked at the definiton and, as I udnerstand, It`s person or company that helps me to get my content to a narrow target audience? I don`t see a need to dive into this as I do Youtube just for fun.

But thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. :)

Yeah SEO isn't an easy skill to pick up and it can be time consuming with a lot of guess work too. At least you have a strategy in place though, which looks good What's the biggest challenge you are having with SEO at the moment?

Influencer marketing gives you the opportunity to reach your target audience through working with industry influencers. In your case, it could be a good opportunity to reach your target of 1000 subscribers. You would create a gameplay or review video for a game developer and they would share the video you created with their social media following. Is your target still to get 1000 subscribers?

My biggest challenge with SEO is to learn, how to rank on the first spot for some keywords. Yeah, I`ve done it with videos that have very little competition, but there are, for example, videos somewhere in top10 foir keyword with 1000 exact matches on YT. It`s not bad, but it`s not perfect. I want to crack this nut, learn how to rank on first spot for competitive keywords.

Yeah, my goal is 1k subscribers, but it`s more like a secondary thing, I`m not really focused on the numbers, though I really enjoy when my effort pays of. I set this goal to simply have a goal at all.
If I`m honest, I`m confident I could reach this goal during this year, but it`s not gonna happen, because my content is lacking simple technical quality. I don`t have the equipment yet to achieve my ideas in my videos. When I get a new PC, decent mic and a camera, I`ll start promoting, but till then I`m taking it easy and learning, how things work around YouTube.

But marketing influencers sound like a great thing, though I should look into it more and make a research (like I do about everything :)), to see, how well it`s working.

Just yesterday I watched a interview with a person, who creates vines and reached 15k followers just in one week. Who said he received help from a friend who had 100k dfollowers, but the cornerstone to his success was quality content and consistancy. Yeah, someone promoting you can give a great boost, but if your content is lacking quality, people won`t stick around.
It was a great lesson actually.

Whoa, nice. I've definitely gone as far as exporting the Keyword Planner results and doing some filtering and sorting :D However............ the whole thing isn't very accurate because we don't get monthly searches for YouTube only. The numbers may be entirely different there! Also, on pages that list autocomplete results I see that people search differently on YT than they do on Google, and if you just use the Keyword Planner you may be missing out on search terms that are popular on YT but not Google search.
Lastly, what do you mean by "Youtube exact search results"? Do you enter the search term in quotation marks to get the number of results?

Whoa, nice. I've definitely gone as far as exporting the Keyword Planner results and doing some filtering and sorting :D However............ the whole thing isn't very accurate because we don't get monthly searches for YouTube only. The numbers may be entirely different there! Also, on pages that list autocomplete results I see that people search differently on YT than they do on Google, and if you just use the Keyword Planner you may be missing out on search terms that are popular on YT but not Google search.
Lastly, what do you mean by "Youtube exact search results"? Do you enter the search term in quotation marks to get the number of results?

Yes, you are absolutely correct! Google keyword planner shows only mon thly searches for Google. But still it`s a very good indicator of what and how often people look for.
But you have a very good point there. I must admit I have not taken into account popular keywords that were searched on YouTube, but did not appear on Google keyword planner.
I will have to experiment with this. I already gained something important, just by posting the way I do keyword research. :) Thank you!

Yes, I put keywords in quotes to get the number of exact results.[DOUBLEPOST=1471703347,1471634172][/DOUBLEPOST]@Bolt Bunch Thanks for liking my post! :)

Google keyword planner shows only mon thly searches for Google. But still it`s a very good indicator of what and how often people look for.
Yes, I'd say we should use it as an indicator and also to get ideas for additional keywords, but it's too inaccurate to do actual math with it ;)

Yes, I put keywords in quotes to get the number of exact results.
I see a problem with this as well, because the Google engine behind YouTube doesn't go by anything exact. It frequently matches search queries to videos that have completely different words in their metadata because it knows they're related to the same topic. I'm kinda amazed by this actually :D

Yes, I'd say we should use it as an indicator and also to get ideas for additional keywords, but it's too inaccurate to do actual math with it ;)

I see a problem with this as well, because the Google engine behind YouTube doesn't go by anything exact. It frequently matches search queries to videos that have completely different words in their metadata because it knows they're related to the same topic. I'm kinda amazed by this actually :D

You should share your methods of doing keyword research so we can learn form you. :)

P.S. This is an offtopic, but I found it very interesting. My girlfriend few days ago posted a video about anxiety. When I wached her video, your video was in the suggested videos (at that point this thread was not created yet). And now we`re talking. :D

You should share your methods of doing keyword research so we can learn form you. :)
Oh I'm by no means an expert, just sharing my thoughts :) I use the Keyword Planner, Google Trends and keywordtool.io/youtube to get an idea what the most popular keywords are and which ones are related. Then I make sure that I use them in the first 3 lines of the description. The tags section has very little value nowadays.

P.S. This is an offtopic, but I found it very interesting. My girlfriend few days ago posted a video about anxiety. When I wached her video, your video was in the suggested videos (at that point this thread was not created yet). And now we`re talking. :D
No way! That's such a funny coincidence :D I like hearing that my video was suggested, thanks for telling me! :thumbsup2: May she be the one who left a comment on my video?

Back