Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

How have newer channels gotten big when starting out?

Discussion in 'YouTube Chat, Gossip & Help' started by Gary Hobbesworth, Jan 31, 2018.

1. MyBigBrain
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $90
    This.

2. TheDutchTexan
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $119
    They create videos of high quality and high consistency. They get on the radar with a big YouTuber and then get a shout out which sends a nice chunk from that youtuber over to the new guy. It took me a year to get to 100, and another after that to break through 1,000 subscribers. I have gotten some shout outs that elevated my channel somewhat, but for the most part it has been a slow burn for me. But as long as it keeps slow burning eventually I'll grow it from the 5K I have now to 10K. But big? Questions like the one in this topic pretty much ask "Can you still get big"

Answer: Yes, but it is extremely... extremely unlikely. This is not being negative nancy, it is called being a realist.

Gary Hobbesworth and tahlia like this.
  3. Dave2017
    Get The Picture?
    Cash:
    $48
    Haha nice one:) But never the less very true....For some!! Others make great videos and promote them the right places:up2: And if you make good videos you can also be lucky enough to have a video featured on a bigger channel (happened to me) and from there a lot can happen:) That being said SEO can help you a lot and a bit of luck doesnt hurt:)

tahlia likes this.
  4. Gary Hobbesworth
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $122
    That's impressive. What sort of subreddit was it posted on, something for a specific interest, or one of those subreddits where people just share/promote their stuff?

5. evoloz
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $96
    I only bother posting in specific sub reddits, I generally find the reddits where everyone is around to promote stuff to be ineffective when it comes to getting views. Ironically the one that got popular wasn't even posted by me, someone else posted it in the r/pcgaming subreddit and it took off from there.

Gary Hobbesworth likes this.
  6. TYTD
    If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
    Cash:
    $174
    from my experience if you want quick growth upload twice a week with Good, informative and entertaining content and play the SEO game as much as possible...also if you have the cash and your willing to go the extra yard and learn a bit of analytics Adwords is brilliant :)

Alexander Hoff likes this.
  7. iGM
    iGM
    That Scottish Guy
    Cash:
    $6
    I think luck does have a part in it.
    On my main channel, I had a viral video. No reason why. It just went viral. I did my usual SEO stuff, usual amount of sharing but it gained a lot of views really quickly. Right now it stands at about 1+ million views. I can genuinely say it was just lucky. There was nothing I did differently.
    Obviously there are ways you can help boost a video's popularity and by extension of that, boost your channel's popularity such as SEO optimization but luck does factor into it.

Alexander Hoff likes this.
  8. Gaijillionaire
    I've got a yen for being in Japan!
    Cash:
    $199
    That’s still a hustle just a different way. I’d say it’s harder getting promoted on a big channel than doing it yourself. Just because everyone is trying the same thing

9. Cassarilla
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $66
    I noticed quite a bit of growth after posting a an acoustic cover of a theme song to a cartoon I liked. It was unexpected but really nice. I think that just goes to show you should create what you love. You never really know what is going to get traction.

10. Gary Hobbesworth
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $122
    I've noticed the same at least with the latter, subreddits for self-promotion are nothing but people spamming their content and ignoring all the other people spamming their content. It's like those forum threads which seem to serve no purpose other than to bump people's post count, with a pointless question like "what's your favorite food?" and with 10+ pages of comments like "piza!!" and clearly no one's reading anything.

I've had no luck with sub reddits for specific interests myself, even though I've tried to engage in these communities, and not simply for promotional purposes. But on one's ever checked out my stuff in those reddits, in fact the only time I've gotten any views from Reddit is on the ones where people review each other's stuff, which obviously never led to subscribers.