Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

How have newer channels gotten big when starting out?

Discussion in 'YouTube Chat, Gossip & Help' started by Gary Hobbesworth, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Gary Hobbesworth
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $122
    This isn't one of the many topics asking for advice on what to do, I'm just wondering how channels that have started in the last few years have managed to get upwards of a hundred subscribers from nothing, since it seems from what I've heard that it's a lot harder to get noticed than it was ten years ago. Having seen a few cases where someone started a channel a year or two ago that shot up in popularity, I'm curious how they've been able to personally do this.

2. evoloz
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $92
    I must have started about 4 months ago (early September I think) and I'm now at a 148 subscribers and started from 0 + I really feel growth is starting to pick up now so if stay it's still possible to grow :)

3. Ocean Chan
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $85
    I think its about exposure by doing something that gets you into the public eye.

There were two examples that came out of the Australian Open tennis recently.
    One was this "youtuber" called Jamie Zhu. In the middle of a tennis match, he stood up and started making sex noises. He was subsequently kicked out of the game.
    He made news headlines, and a lot of new subscribers (for better or worse). Also started selling t-shirts with a caricature of him standing up at the tennis doing the sex noises. I dont condone what this guy did- but obviously he has exposure.

2nd example is a player at the tournement, hyeon chung played really well and was very funny and witty in the press conferences. He had about 5k followers on insta and that bumped to 70k in a week.

So two examples of ppl's social media getting big from their involvement in real world media

Gary Hobbesworth likes this.
  4. markkaz
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $89
    Some of them came from Vine where they already had a large following.

CristyTango likes this.
  5. Crown
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Administrator
    Cash:
    $8,042
    Some / most did it the right way by creating good content regularly with good SEO, branding and use of social media. (There really is no secret formula. That is why we lock the "how to grow my channel?" threads or threads moaning about not growing.)

6. Gary Hobbesworth
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $122
    Nice. How did you get that sudden spike in your subscribers?

7. evoloz
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $92
    I've managed to get pretty consistent subscriber growth since I started. I managed to get a nice spike when one of my videos went "Viral"(ish) on Reddit which gained about 3k views over 1 day and gave me a nice subscriber boost.

8. verdandi.red
    Cash:
    $6
    I've been observing the people I sub to, especially those who gravitate to the streaming side of things - they just did whatever they wanted and messed around with their niche.
    Some did really bad animation, some did tech reviews early on...they eventually adapted and found their style which people loved, and eventually got their groove.
    Also they were pretty consistent with posting.

9. Gaijillionaire
    I've got a yen for being in Japan!
    Cash:
    $187
    They hustle.

Longer answer they put out tons of videos and along the way learned what works for them and ran with it.

I shake my Head too at how fast some of them go up, especially the ones with the stupidest videos. But they did it

MyBigBrain likes this.
  10. Illuminated Nerd
    Cash:
    $32
    Regular content on a defined schedule that goes in a playlist, such as a series of videos on the same game/subject. Not all content will bring subscribers, some just brings views. If you hook them with the first video of a series, then you'll get subscribers because they'll want to see the rest of the series. That kind of content is more likely to attract subs for a smaller channel.