How has your perception of YouTube changed through the years ?

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Remember when YouTube was just this place that somehow got the monopoly on uploaded vids, and you'd just visit it occasionally, probably because someone sent you a link ? You thought ALL the videos were fascinating and started sharing yourself...
Now, it's basically replaced your TV, replaced your MP3 player, and become a place you're committed to, with an account etc...

What do you think has changed the most from, say, 2007-08ish, to now, with regards to how you see YouTube ?

Reactions: Fost

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
It's the best I could describe without going into boring detail

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
It's the best I could describe without going into boring detail
Eh, I think the details are interesting. This is a forum about YouTube, and I'm wondering how people would tackle the question. Personally, I'd say YT has gone in my mind from being a way to kill time, to becoming an actual tool.

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
Yeah that's true but that same tool is a double edge in the sense of that same tool being a false crutch for people trying to pursue the money, fame and even power.

Reactions: MindfulInquirer

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Yeah that's true but that same tool is a double edge in the sense of that same tool being a false crutch for people trying to pursue the money, fame and even power.
Right that's true as well of course, but besides the money, I mean it's become this tool where I can build knowledge (there are absolutely tons of presentations and full lectures on religion, politics, philosophy...etc..). It wasn't that way before, it was just this place with hilarious videos you'd never seen before. Full stop. It wasn't nearly as rich, or deep as now.

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Besides the comments section, it's become more "human-like" when tailoring suggestions.

Which is good to keep us engrossed I'd say.

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Besides the comments section, it's become more "human-like" when tailoring suggestions.

Which is good to keep us engrossed I'd say.
Oh I don't know if I'd use the term "human-like" ! :D but I know what you mean.
At the end of the day, human beings are like anything else, living/organic or inanimate, they can be studied and fed whatever one wants if he simply does it correctly.