How far ahead do you plan?

FPL Centre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've just been going vid to vid so far, without any real longer term plan or direction.

I know I should probably put together a spreadsheet with video ideas, potential recording & release dates, that kind of thing, but it's pretty daunting to start from scratch. Also not sure what kind of targets I should be setting.

Any help advice on these types of thing would be greatly appreciated!

A friend says not to plan further than 2-3 months down the line because of how volatile YouTube can be. Is that good advice or not?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I try to plan 2 weeks ahead but usually shorter. I recently planned uploaded and scheduled 2 months worth of videos but I think it has had a negative effect on my views.

Reactions: FPL Centre

FPL Centre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I try to plan 2 weeks ahead but usually shorter. I recently planned uploaded and scheduled 2 months worth of videos but I think it has had a negative effect on my views.
Yeah I wouldn't be able to record & upload anything in advance like that because of what I do videos about. Odd that you think it impacts views though, any reason for that?

But in terms of the planning stage, like having an idea for a series, getting all the base graphics, intro sequence, etc. done & then having a rough idea for a release date of the first video I was just curious if people get everything together in advance like that & if they find it helps.

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I try to make animations ahead and schedule upload them, but the real planning in advance comes from thinking of video ideas so that I have material and topics to draw/talk about when I have the time to work on my channel.

FPL Centre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I try to make animations ahead and schedule upload them, but the real planning in advance comes from thinking of video ideas so that I have material and topics to draw/talk about when I have the time to work on my channel.
Cool, yeah this is the kind of thing I mean. Do you use a big spreadsheet for ideas & planning or just pen & paper? Or is there a tool out there that helps with this I'm unaware of? Just trying to get ideas of how people approach the whole planning stage as it's a bit daunting haha.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A friend says not to plan further than 2-3 months down the line because of how volatile YouTube can be. Is that good advice or not?
Sounds like BS to me. How is YT going to be volatile in that period ? LOL. What total rubbish !!!!

I don't plan ahead at all. You can only go with the ideas as they come up.

Try and push the envelope and you just come up with mediocre content.

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Cool, yeah this is the kind of thing I mean. Do you use a big spreadsheet for ideas & planning or just pen & paper? Or is there a tool out there that helps with this I'm unaware of? Just trying to get ideas of how people approach the whole planning stage as it's a bit daunting haha.
Well since I’m usually in class when I have ideas, I’ve recently decided to carry around a small notepad to write the ideas in (that way I don’t take my phone out during lecture). However, I do go home and put them into a list on my laptop. After I have a few good ideas, I take one, put it into a google doc, and write a script.

Iron Rangers Airsoft

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I plan out about 3 months. I am usually about 2 to 3 weeks ahead on my videos to begin with (currently I have 4 videos scheduled to release on Mondays and Fridays).

I need to plan out ahead so I can figure out what camera equipment to bring, where I am going to be playing and who is coming with.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I usually plan videos two to three weeks ahead of time, I’ve had different video ideas for months even for a year but my ideas changed overtime along with my content so I didn’t go with those ideas.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I plan absurdly ahead of time. I post 4x a week and I currently have 6 weeks of videos done and ready to be uploaded. I have probably a hundred videos that I want to do and that list gets larger every day.