How does paying taxes work? (Sweden)

TheDude_swe

Reaction score
I don't know if there are any other Swedish YouTubers on this forum but it can't hurt to ask. I'll write in English so everyone understands.

So how do you pay taxes for your earnings from YouTube/AdSense in Sweden?

I'm at a point where YouTube is becoming my primary source of income, but I have no clue on how to pay taxes for it. And I'm pretty sure I'm committing a crime by not doing so?

I've been on the phone with Skatteverket (Sweden's IRS) several times today but the people I talked to seemed quite unsure on how to deal with it. Amongst other things, they suggested that I should start my own company. Is that really how you do it? Seems so overly complicated for just a YouTube channel?

Searching for any kind of help online haven't resulted in anything useful either.

I'm in quite desperate need for help here and would really like to know how other Swedish YouTubers/bloggers/website owners/etc are doing it.

Tack.

Shane

YouTube Network Addict
Reaction score
When making money via YouTube you are self-employed and need to file taxes as in relation to that category.

Each country will have different thresholds for at which tax has to be filed or paid at.

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not Swedish but some general advice as an accountant--big numbers get more attention from the IRS than small ones. If your income is significant (say, more than 10% of an an average annual income) I'd consult with a "storefront" accountant (in this country they are everywhere around the time the income tax reporting deadline). It will be worth the small consulting fee, and you'll be covering your a** in case something bad happens like an audit.

For smaller amounts, you can probably just add it to your personal income tax as a line item under "other income" or something similar. Even if it turns out you were wrong later, you likely won't be penalized as you were not concealing income.

jnet

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not Swedish but some general advice as an accountant--big numbers get more attention from the IRS than small ones. If your income is significant (say, more than 10% of an an average annual income) I'd consult with a "storefront" accountant (in this country they are everywhere around the time the income tax reporting deadline). It will be worth the small consulting fee, and you'll be covering your a** in case something bad happens like an audit.

For smaller amounts, you can probably just add it to your personal income tax as a line item under "other income" or something similar. Even if it turns out you were wrong later, you likely won't be penalized as you were not concealing income.
Hope you don't mind if I also ask a small question on this topic. I heard that you only need to report it it's over $600? Per year or per month?? I don't know.

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

phoenixblue

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Designer, Cartoonist, Animator
Hope you don't mind if I also ask a small question on this topic. I heard that you only need to report it it's over $600? Per year or per month?? I don't know.
In the U.S., you're supposed to pay taxes for earnings over $400/year for self-employed but you're technically supposed to report your taxes every year regardless how much you make.

Gemstone

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to collect information about paying taxes in Sweden if you're a YouTube creator. Can anyone please help me, I'm searching the internet in this the only result I found. Any help would be appreciated.