How does CPM / Revenue work?

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It depends on the ads you use too though.

Non-skippable ads make allot more than skippable and banner ads, plus theres ad breaks and everything else.
Yeah I just use the usual 2 ad breaks on a 18-20 min video - whatever YT suggests. No way to control skippable vs non skippable ads though :([DOUBLEPOST=1484299916,1484299867][/DOUBLEPOST]
Adsense really varies. An advertiser can choose how much they want their CPM to be. Since YouTube is a search engine, whatever details you give about the video in the Title, Description and Tags is how they'll "pitch it" to advertisers. The advertisers can also pick and choose what target demos they want their ads shown. So if you aren't playing the latest game with a completely thought out SEO, with a lot of watch time with the 18-34 demographic, you're going to get advertisers who won't offer as much for your content. Also depends on the time of year it is (we are in the lowest point for Adsense this month at the moment).

So at the end of the day, don't worry about it. Use other forms of revenue instead. And get ready with the Facebook and Twitter Video explosion when those happen. ($10CPM for Twitter, Facebook at $6CPM with many analysts predicting it'll rise as high as $30CPM in a year or two).
Thanks for the well explained post!

Reactions: chrispcgaming

chrispcgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah I just use the usual 2 ad breaks on a 18-20 min video - whatever YT suggests. No way to control skippable vs non skippable ads though
My new YouTube account isn't at 1,000 subs yet so I haven't used ads in awhile, but you use to be able to control skippable vs non skippable ads. Intresting.

Eljay

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
It depends on the ads you use too though.

Non-skippable ads make allot more than skippable and banner ads, plus theres ad breaks and everything else.
I noticed that I have one video that is 24 seconds long and only makes about 5$ per ten thousand views while I have another one that is 31 seconds long and it makes about 4-5$ per thousand views.
Now I'm wondering if making a video at least 30 seconds long might make a HUGE difference. I now intend to make each video at least 31 seconds long and see how it goes.

Reactions: chrispcgaming

chrispcgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I noticed that I have one video that is 24 seconds long and only makes about 5$ per ten thousand views while I have another one that is 31 seconds long and it makes about 4-5$ per thousand views.
Now I'm wondering if making a video at least 30 seconds long might make a HUGE difference. I now intend to make each video at least 31 seconds long and see how it goes.
Trial & Error. PS good luck, and let us know.