How does CPM / Revenue work?

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hey guys so I been reading EVERYWHERE about this and my brains about to blow. HOW DOES CPM work?

For example, Let's say my CPM was 4 bucks, that means 4 bucks every 1000 views right? Obviously not guaranteed depending on how long people watch ad for or if they skip it etc, so I've read that on average 1-2 dollar per 1000 views but I'm getting way lower than that.

Is this the norm, about .50 cents - 80.cents per 1000 views? Has anyone else gotten around this amount before or know if it's normal to get around this amount? Trying to understand this here T_T. Thanks!

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hey guys so I been reading EVERYWHERE about this and my brains about to blow. HOW DOES CPM work?

For example, Let's say my CPM was 4 bucks, that means 4 bucks every 1000 views right? Obviously not guaranteed depending on how long people watch ad for or if they skip it etc, so I've read that on average 1-2 dollar per 1000 views but I'm getting way lower than that.

Is this the norm, about .50 cents - 80.cents per 1000 views? Has anyone else gotten around this amount before or know if it's normal to get around this amount? Trying to understand this here T_T. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure 50 cents per 1000 views is below average if that's what you're getting. I usually get at least $1USD per 500 views. It was at least double that during December but now it's dropped down after the holidays. I think it also has to do with your niche and topic of your video and what ads are being displayed. So perhaps it's better to ask people who do similar content as you.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure 50 cents per 1000 views is below average if that's what you're getting. I usually get at least $1USD per 500 views. It was at least double that during December but now it's dropped down after the holidays. I think it also has to do with your niche and topic of your video and what ads are being displayed. So perhaps it's better to ask people who do similar content as you.
Yeah def. does depend on your niche and type of videos, for example I think Insurance / Electronic videos get one of the highest CPMs - it may because the amount of gaming videos that are out there and huge choices for "ad-payers" to place ads on like 100,000,000 other gaming videos out there. RIP

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yeah def. does depend on your niche and type of videos, for example I think Insurance / Electronic videos get one of the highest CPMs - it may because the amount of gaming videos that are out there and huge choices for "ad-payers" to place ads on like 100,000,000 other gaming videos out there. RIP
If you're treating your channel as a business for extra income, my best advice is to not to rely on adsense money. Think of it more as bonus money. Try to generate income from your audience using other means. Try promoting gaming products, gadgets and games on amazon, like use affiliate links, sell merchandises, start a patreon and so on. If you build your business right, you can earn more than what you earn through Google adsense.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you're treating your channel as a business for extra income, my best advice is to not to rely on adsense money. Think of it more as bonus money. Try to generate income from your audience using other means. Try promoting gaming products, gadgets and games on amazon, like use affiliate links, sell merchandises, start a patreon and so on. If you build your business right, you can earn more than what you earn through Google adsense.
Definitely not treating it as main income - as side income, it still sucks that it's so low. I won't try Patreon and merchandise just yet because I'm not popular at all haha, maybe once I get bigger, having your own merchandise would be awesome!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the monetization forum. :)

Eljay

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I get even less.
I have one video that has 10000 views(ten thousand) PER MONTH on average and it makes only about 4$ per month. Sometimes it even had 20000 views in a month and only made like 6 $.
I have 2 videos that made 3 cents for 500 views. That's 6 cents per thousand views.
Having said that my videos are animated and all under one minute but I recently watched the video where this vlogger actually shows the exact numbers that he makes and he got more than 10-20 times the amount I do. It bums me out. I know my videos are shorter but to make that much less for good content takes the wind of of your sails.

Last edited:

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I get even less.
I have one video that has 10000 views(ten thousand) PER MONTH on average and it makes only about 4$ per month. Sometimes it even had 20000 views in a month and only made like 6 $.
I have 2 videos that made 3 cents for 500 views. That's 6 cents per thousand views.
Having said that my videos are animated and all under one minute but I recently watched the video where this vlogger actually shows the exact numbers that he makes and he got more than 10-20 times the amount I do. It bums me out. I know my videos are shorter but to make that much less for good content takes the wind of of your sails.
Yeah that sucks :( I think length matters to in terms of how much you get per video not sure though.

chrispcgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I get even less.
It depends on the ads you use too though.

Non-skippable ads make allot more than skippable and banner ads, plus theres ad breaks and everything else.

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Adsense really varies. An advertiser can choose how much they want their CPM to be. Since YouTube is a search engine, whatever details you give about the video in the Title, Description and Tags is how they'll "pitch it" to advertisers. The advertisers can also pick and choose what target demos they want their ads shown. So if you aren't playing the latest game with a completely thought out SEO, with a lot of watch time with the 18-34 demographic, you're going to get advertisers who won't offer as much for your content. Also depends on the time of year it is (we are in the lowest point for Adsense this month at the moment).

So at the end of the day, don't worry about it. Use other forms of revenue instead. And get ready with the Facebook and Twitter Video explosion when those happen. ($10CPM for Twitter, Facebook at $6CPM with many analysts predicting it'll rise as high as $30CPM in a year or two).