How does being a creator help you?

PvtPsycho

Friendly Neighborhood Psycho
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I want to start of by saying,
I think most people become a creator on YouTube for a specific reason. Wether it be for the big reasons like making it big for money or personal reasons like expanding and sharing your creativity with the world.
I want to here, not only, everyone's stories on why they joined YouTube and became a creator, but also how YouTube has helped you in your life!
Do not be afraid to go into detail!

Here is my reasoning:

Like most, I've always loved gaming! It was a fun way to let of steam and connect with people around the world, aiming at a particular goal. As a teenager this was the golden ticket for me because I wasn't exactly popular throughout my school life. I say school life because that's how it was; I lived two different lives. The life I preferred was on my PS3 having fun and being awesome, yet anonymous.
I had a dry spout where I stopped gaming for a few months (6 or so) and then I decided to join the army hahahah. What a plot twist that was right? Turns out, as most would guess, the army is a really stressful place when you first enter. Basic training was the most stressful thing I'd done in my life. I couldn't have contact with anyone (no phones), I couldn't eat fun tasty things, I couldn't even sleep the hours I wanted to. To be fair that was all expected. Nevertheless it was a huge change for me. When I got out of basic I was always hanging on a thin wire, stressing over the littlest things. Then I started to game again. Nothing major but a few apps here and there were sufficient. I started loosening up a bit and saw my self getting happier. At the same time though, I was still stressed. As I'm new to the whole iOS gaming platform, most games were beaten within the day or week. Boredom set in extremely quickly.
Then I found some longer apps. Storylines were great and I was excited to play them! However, I would always find myself sharing what I found cool to my roommate (who never cared, and it was obvious). I figured I'd give something else a shot. Record some videos with an app I just found and post it on YouTube! This way my mom could see them and my friends could! One of my closest friends back home that I hadn't seen in nearly four months messaged me on Facebook and said "your video was actually kind of funny! Hahaha ever think about trying to make YouTube videos for everyone instead of just your mom?". (Copied that word for word)
I replied back saying the thought hadn't crossed my mind but I'd think about it.
A couple hours of research and set up later, POOF! My channel was made! Long story short (ironic, I know), i have been posting for nearly a week and i have to say it has been a huge stress reliever. I feel like I can express myself as myself; show the real side of me. It's really awesome.

I'm done opening up now, another hour will cost ya
Remember to go into detail!!

Reactions: Spuntillian

Elpixion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I originally started youtube on my first channel because i loved gaming and i used to film my games and burn them to disc before i had internet so i did that, but i found out after around 7 months that i didn't like that as much and i first did, then after a month or 2 i made a new channel which started out just being live streams then i decided to try and work on my editing skills so i made a vlog and some other little videos then i found i loved vlogging everyday as it gave something for me to do and helped with my editing as i can try different types of edits and such

TL,DR: i started cos i loved gaming, then cos i wanted to improve my editing but now i do it cos its the most fun ever

Reactions: PvtPsycho

umbysworld

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I just need to do something creative sometimes. I go through periods where if I don't have some kind of project to work on then I get really down. Then I go through periods where I'm fine not doing anything. It makes my channel sort of random in terms of when there are new videos, but w/e lol. I used to play guitar and write songs to fulfill this purpose but I got to the point where I hate playing guitar. With youtube, I can kinda just do whatever I want.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
My ex boyfriend and I moved from our hometown to Chicago and not even a year after he left me. I have very severe anxiety so making friends has never been my strong suit. I still have yet to literally make any friends besides my co-workers so now I'm just making YouTube videos to help me feel more connected to the real world.

Samira

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started making videos because I had a channel with 13 and really enjoyed it

One reason that inspired me to make videos is that people on other peoples video would write “this made my day“ and things like that

If my videos make 1 person happy or entertained or it turned their day around that would make me happy

Another reason was to pratice and learn about filming and editing because I believe it might be a useful skill to have

Now that I have sort if found a direction for my channel youtube is also to practice my design skills and ti improve my life by doing monthly challenges

Doing monthly challenges makes me more grateful for things in my life and in a year I have learnt a whole deal of new skills

I love making videos and improving them :) its a hobby for me and lets me different outputs in life

PvtPsycho

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I originally started youtube on my first channel because i loved gaming and i used to film my games and burn them to disc before i had internet so i did that, but i found out after around 7 months that i didn't like that as much and i first did, then after a month or 2 i made a new channel which started out just being live streams then i decided to try and work on my editing skills so i made a vlog and some other little videos then i found i loved vlogging everyday as it gave something for me to do and helped with my editing as i can try different types of edits and such

TL,DR: i started cos i loved gaming, then cos i wanted to improve my editing but now i do it cos its the most fun ever
That's awesome! It's so great to hear that YouTube helps people feel happy :)[DOUBLEPOST=1507195457,1507195361][/DOUBLEPOST]V
I just need to do something creative sometimes. I go through periods where if I don't have some kind of project to work on then I get really down. Then I go through periods where I'm fine not doing anything. It makes my channel sort of random in terms of when there are new videos, but w/e lol. I used to play guitar and write songs to fulfill this purpose but I got to the point where I hate playing guitar. With youtube, I can kinda just do whatever I want.
Very true, you could literally upload videos of you poking a tennis ball lol
How crazy is that?[DOUBLEPOST=1507195535][/DOUBLEPOST]
My ex boyfriend and I moved from our hometown to Chicago and not even a year after he left me. I have very severe anxiety so making friends has never been my strong suit. I still have yet to literally make any friends besides my co-workers so now I'm just making YouTube videos to help me feel more connected to the real world.
Similar to what I did, and I apologize that you went through that :/ people really suck sometimes but you have the yttalk commu now![DOUBLEPOST=1507195679][/DOUBLEPOST]
I started making videos because I had a channel with 13 and really enjoyed it

One reason that inspired me to make videos is that people on other peoples video would write “this made my day“ and things like that

If my videos make 1 person happy or entertained or it turned their day around that would make me happy

Another reason was to pratice and learn about filming and editing because I believe it might be a useful skill to have

Now that I have sort if found a direction for my channel youtube is also to practice my design skills and ti improve my life by doing monthly challenges

Doing monthly challenges makes me more grateful for things in my life and in a year I have learnt a whole deal of new skills

I love making videos and improving them :) its a hobby for me and lets me different outputs in life
That's fantastic, literally just by reading your comment I've gotten motivation to try something today (not kidding)! If it works out I'll let you know :)

Reactions: Samira

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
@PvtPsycho What a story! It's amazing what Youtube can do for you.

I myself started this channel to stay in contact with home. I've dabbled with filming and editting before on a different channel, but this is the first time I'm consistently trying to make videos. It has influenced me quite a bit, to be honest. It makes me go outside more and look for things to do, so I can share something with home. It makes me update everyone regulary on how things are going. I'm the kind of person who forgets to posts things on FB or send a Whatsapp, so these videos really provide a lifeline of information to home :)
I've also made new contacts, mostly via this forum, and I love that! I met some of my dearest friends online and this really just brings back the feeling of making new bonds with people :)

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
As a playwright, it definitely helps me to write faster, to create things on the fly, and to be a lot less intimidated by deadlines. Since I have to be making new videos all the time, I have to have ideas at the ready all the time.

At work, making videos helps me with my public speaking, with my organizational skills, and to feel comfortable with showing new ideas to my coworkers.

In life, I just really enjoy it, and it's brought so many new friends into my life.

Samira

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's awesome! It's so great to hear that YouTube helps people feel happy :)[DOUBLEPOST=1507195457,1507195361][/DOUBLEPOST]V

Very true, you could literally upload videos of you poking a tennis ball lol
How crazy is that?[DOUBLEPOST=1507195535][/DOUBLEPOST]
Similar to what I did, and I apologize that you went through that :/ people really suck sometimes but you have the yttalk commu now![DOUBLEPOST=1507195679][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's fantastic, literally just by reading your comment I've gotten motivation to try something today (not kidding)! If it works out I'll let you know :)

Oh yes please let me know where your motivation took you :)

PvtPsycho

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
@PvtPsycho What a story! It's amazing what Youtube can do for you.

I myself started this channel to stay in contact with home. I've dabbled with filming and editting before on a different channel, but this is the first time I'm consistently trying to make videos. It has influenced me quite a bit, to be honest. It makes me go outside more and look for things to do, so I can share something with home. It makes me update everyone regulary on how things are going. I'm the kind of person who forgets to posts things on FB or send a Whatsapp, so these videos really provide a lifeline of information to home :)
I've also made new contacts, mostly via this forum, and I love that! I met some of my dearest friends online and this really just brings back the feeling of making new bonds with people :)
That's a great idea! I'm in the same boat with the whole forgetting to post on Facebook and sending messages. :p I might try something like that!
Maybe we could become friends too!
I feel like this is a fantastic website to do so![DOUBLEPOST=1507204638,1507204465][/DOUBLEPOST]
As a playwright, it definitely helps me to write faster, to create things on the fly, and to be a lot less intimidated by deadlines. Since I have to be making new videos all the time, I have to have ideas at the ready all the time.

At work, making videos helps me with my public speaking, with my organizational skills, and to feel comfortable with showing new ideas to my coworkers.

In life, I just really enjoy it, and it's brought so many new friends into my life.
How awesome is it that most of our stories main points are about exploring and engaging in activities that correlate with our passions?
On top of that, we have all made friends through this outlet. Kind of makes you wish more people tried it!
Everyone deserves happiness :)

On the idea and creativity boat, I'm actually shy about trying things. I have some pretty creative product ideas but I'm too afraid to share them haha. I'll try being more comfortable!
Best of luck with your career!!

Reactions: xingcat