How does Amazon Associates work?

weeeben

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I gave it a try and it's been 3 days with 45 clicks.
One important thing to note is it's not just the product your advertising, if someone goes to amazon via your link, a cookie remains active for 7 days so if they go back to amazon and buy anything, you get paid commission.

What i'm wondering now is, this might be of interest especially to those that do product reviews, #Unboxingsve
Is what if before you buy to do the review, how about linking the item in a video first, then buy the item through your amazon link?
that way you earn a commission- on your purchase, effectively giving you a discount on the product.[DOUBLEPOST=1505557393,1505556052][/DOUBLEPOST]
Assuming you have joined the associates program -
Go to product Linking > Link to any page > Link to Search Results - Select your product line (Or leave as Any)/Enter Keyword (This is your general search term) and copy the HTML.
From here its standard / IE grab the URL / Use Google URL shortener and add it to your subscription..
instead of clicking get link, click the arrow beside it, it will give you the option to shorted the link with amzn.to

Last edited:
Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I am very interested in this as a lot of my videos are product reviews, most of which I buy off amazon.com. I signed up for the amazon associate program, but I am not sure of the right way to place a product link on my videos. What I mean is, there are about a thousand ways you can get banned from the program if you do it wrong. For instance, the agreement says you have to place the Associate Disclosure on any site you place a link. Does that mean I have to put it on ever single video I place a link on, or would I just have to place it on my profile page somewhere? See what I mean? I sure don't want to do it wrong and get banned.[DOUBLEPOST=1505936887,1505886691][/DOUBLEPOST]
What i'm wondering now is, this might be of interest especially to those that do product reviews, #Unboxingsve
Is what if before you buy to do the review, how about linking the item in a video first, then buy the item through your amazon link?
that way you earn a commission- on your purchase, effectively giving you a discount on the product.
I watched about 20 videos on ways you can get banned last night and this was one of the big ones. This is against the Amazon Associate Agreement. In fact, you cannot even ask your friends and family, or even roommates to buy through your associate links. Amazon has a zero tolerance policy for this and will permanently ban you if they find out you are doing this. There are about 100 other ways you can get banned as well, so tread lightly and do your research before you do anything. This amazon associate thing is a minefield, but there is treasure at the end.

weeeben

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yeah you put the amazon disclosure in your "about" profile text, I asked them and that's what they said, no need to put in every video, just the about page.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’ve only had my channel live for about 6 months, but I put an Amazon Affiliate link to every item I can that I use in my recipes. I currently make about $150/month on Amazon revenue. A lot of it is for the products I’m linking to, but a lot of it is other items they purchase within 24 hours after using my link. (Someone above said the cookie is active for 7 day’s, but I believe it’s only active for 24 hours.) So if you click my affiliate link for garlic powder, decide not to buy it, but later use the same browser to purchase a big screen TV, I get paid a commission on the TV. This has happened several times a month that I’m paid for a big electronics purchase I know nothing about.

Easy, recurring income that even in its early stages can pay enough for a cell phone or utility bill. Completely worth it.

(I put the Amazon Affiliates disclaimer in my About section and in the video description of each video, just to be safe. It’s also in my Facebook and Instagram profiles as well, and if I post a product link to Facebook, I clearly state directly in the post “this is an affiliate link.” Not just to make sure I don’t run afoul of Amazon’s terms, but also because it’s a law from the Federal Trade Commission, so heads’ up on that.)

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I’ve only had my channel live for about 6 months, but I put an Amazon Affiliate link to every item I can that I use in my recipes. I currently make about $150/month on Amazon revenue. A lot of it is for the products I’m linking to, but a lot of it is other items they purchase within 24 hours after using my link. (Someone above said the cookie is active for 7 day’s, but I believe it’s only active for 24 hours.) So if you click my affiliate link for garlic powder, decide not to buy it, but later use the same browser to purchase a big screen TV, I get paid a commission on the TV. This has happened several times a month that I’m paid for a big electronics purchase I know nothing about.

Easy, recurring income that even in its early stages can pay enough for a cell phone or utility bill. Completely worth it.

(I put the Amazon Affiliates disclaimer in my About section and in the video description of each video, just to be safe. It’s also in my Facebook and Instagram profiles as well, and if I post a product link to Facebook, I clearly state directly in the post “this is an affiliate link.” Not just to make sure I don’t run afoul of Amazon’s terms, but also because it’s a law from the Federal Trade Commission, so heads’ up on that.)
That's awesome. How do you let people know that the information is in the description? Do you mention it in the video?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Well, it's been 10 days since I became an Amazon Associate and put product links in the description of my videos (for items used in the video). So far I have had 129 click, 1 sale and earned a total of 0.98 cents. I was not expecting a whole lot, and it has lived up to that expectation.

jaygfla

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Jungle Explorer that is what you can expect. My YT page is small but my website is bigger and I have Amazon Affiliate links on both and I see on average about a sale for every 250 clicks. The way it works is that someone does not have to necessarily buy your linked product from the click, but they have to buy "something" within 24 hours of clicking your link and you get credit. Therefore if you work on getting your click count into the thousands per day, you will see regular revenue on Amazon. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Jungle Explorer that is what you can expect. My YT page is small but my website is bigger and I have Amazon Affiliate links on both and I see on average about a sale for every 250 clicks. The way it works is that someone does not have to necessarily buy your linked product from the click, but they have to buy "something" within 24 hours of clicking your link and you get credit. Therefore if you work on getting your click count into the thousands per day, you will see regular revenue on Amazon. I hope this helps.
Yeah. I figured a website would be better then youtube. I have been working hard for the last week on a brand new modern website to go with my yt account. It is taking a massive amount of work to create it. But in the end I will have a custom display page for each video on my youtube account with custom graphicsl product list for the items used in the creation of the video and also native shopping ads in the side bar. I think this will greatly increase my click counts. Or at least I hope it will.

The site is still in construction and blocked from being listed until I get it fully optimized for google. But you can preview it and tell me what you think of it so far. It is completely cross platform compatible (PC, Tablet, Smartphone).

Code:
Www.thejungleexplorer.com