How does a stupid construction video get 8 million views in one week?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So I saw a video that popped up on the youtube homepage. I clicked on it because it looked interesting. The video was nothing more than people doing standard construction, but it had been sped up to 400%. I was like, this is a dumb video. Then I noticed that the video has EIGHT MILLION freaking views in one stinking week.

So how does someone do that? Are they paying for placement? Are they scamming the system with bot views? How is it possible that stupid sped up construction video gets 8,000,000 views in one week?

Reactions: TravelnPlaces

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I haven't seen the video that you are referring to, but I have seen some videos of yachts being built that are sped up. They are really entertaining to watch, and actually a lot more work goes into them than you may think. I'm not all that surprised that a construction video got that many views. It's a good bit of light entertainment.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I haven't seen the video that you are referring to, but I have seen some videos of yachts being built that are sped up. They are really entertaining to watch, and actually a lot more work goes into them than you may think. I'm not all that surprised that a construction video got that many views. It's a good bit of light entertainment.
A yacht is a unique thing. This video was of common stuff like hanging drywall, laying tile and stuff like that. The title was, "Construction workers workers that take it to the next Level", but this title was a lie. There was nothing special about the work being done. They just sped normal everyday work up. Made me mad at the creator. The title made me believe I was going to see something special, but what I saw was something I could do better than the people in the video.
I have no respect for YouTubers that use cheap tricks or deception to get views. People that use false misleading titles and sexy thumbnails just to get clicks.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
A few years ago, I'd probably find a video like that weird too. But I've recently got interested in learning about property development (buying property, renovating them and then renting them or selling them on) and I've been binge watching hundreds of construction / DIY and renovation videos just to see what is possible and in what timeframe! Many of the videos I've been watching have millions of views and they were on mundane stuff like building walls, installing a bath, installing drywall lol. ^^ There is a huge market for learning about DIY and construction. Look at all the shows on TV about flipping houses. There is definitely big demand for those videos. :)

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
A few years ago, I'd probably find a video like that weird too. But I've recently got interested in learning about property development (buying property, renovating them and then renting them or selling them on) and I've been binge watching hundreds of construction / DIY and renovation videos just to see what is possible and in what timeframe! Many of the videos I've been watching have millions of views and they were on mundane stuff like building walls, installing a bath, installing drywall lol. ^^ There is a huge market for learning about DIY and construction. Look at all the shows on TV about flipping houses. There is definitely big demand for those videos. :)
I agree with you about the usefulness of how-to videos. I make a lot of how two videos for everyday life stuff. They are my number one performers. But after three years, I still have 1.7 million views total for my WHOLE dang channel. My videos are actually step-by-step instructional videos, not some stupid sped-up video that teaches you nothing. I work my butt off doing SEO and social media promotion. But here a dumb video release a week ago that has already hit over 8 million views. I want to know how this person is doing this? The video had less than 300 characters in the description (mine have 4K to 5K) and only a couple tags (mine have 490+ characters).

How does a video with no SEO, with a false misleading title reach 8 million views in a week?

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
How does a video with no SEO, with a false misleading title reach 8 million views in a week?
The same reason stupid cat videos do well... or gaming vids, people like them. I don't - but many people do. If they found enjoyment out of the vid and shared it, others liked it and continued to share it.

A well done time lapse film can be enjoyable.

I do not fault anyone for their YT success. I may not be the target demographic, but if they found something that works, more power to them.

Reactions: Crown

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The same reason stupid cat videos do well... or gaming vids, people like them. I don't - but many people do. If they found enjoyment out of the vid and shared it, others liked it and continued to share it.

A well done time lapse film can be enjoyable.

I do not fault anyone for their YT success. I may not be the target demographic, but if they found something that works, more power to them.
You are missing the point. I am not begrudging them the success. I am trying to figure out how they did it. There are a million timelapse construction videos out there, that are much better than this one, that do not get 8 million views in a week. What the video is, is not the point. The point is, how did the get 8 million views worth of exposure in a single weeks time? That is what I want to know. Is it just the misleading clickbait title? Is that the secret sauce to youtube success? I mean, it worked on me. The video had like 35,000 dislikes, but who cares if you can get 8 million views in a single week, at this rate they will have 32 million views in a month. That is a huge paycheck. I would cash it.

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The clickbait title probably pulled in a lot of clicks and I'm guessing the thumbnail was pretty good too. After that, if the video was pretty cool and people watched it all the way through even if it wasn't exactly what they were looking for, then that would result in YouTube promoting it heavily in "recommended videos" - It's also the sort of content that goes viral. Lots of DIY enthusiasts are part of online communities and forums and videos like that will get shared a lot. There is also an element of luck too. :)

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The clickbait title probably pulled in a lot of clicks and I'm guessing the thumbnail was pretty good too. After that, if the video was pretty cool and people watched it all the way through even if it wasn't exactly what they were looking for, then that would result in YouTube promoting it heavily in "recommended videos" - It's also the sort of content that goes viral. Lots of DIY enthusiasts are part of online communities and forums and videos like that will get shared a lot. There is also an element of luck too. :)
Guess I am just unlucky then. I do everything right and can't win, but goofballs succeed without even trying. What a dumb world we live in.