How do ypu guys go about advertising on social media

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Here's what I'm doing:

Facebook: not having any luck at all, mainly because ever since I opened the account around a month ago Facebook's algorithm has repeatedly assumed something's wrong with my account, locks me out, and asks for a photo to prove I'm me and then takes a couple of days to unlock again. A few hours later, their algorithm finds me again, assumes the same thing and the cycle continues. I can't build a community like that but hope to figure out what the *cough* is going on.

Twitter: I don't have any followers either but have been posting and have started responding to others' posts, as well as posting in response to trends. Nothing so far despite doing that on and off for 3 weeks. I'm planning on promoting to people in my niche though, and giving them an incentive to Follow me there. Hopefully that should kick-start me.

Instagram: I'm doing better here! What I'm doing is mostly to do with words (I analyse fictional characters) so it's tricky to think of things to upload. That said, I have come up with some things. You can find me on thecharacterconsultancy if you care to look. I post tips made into visual graphics (which seem to do quite well), random things in my brand colours (hence the peppers, sunflowers etc.!), teasers of my Youtube videos, occasional pictures of me just to be relatable, and random pictures of other things just so I can tag a range of different things. That's more because I'm struggling for content though, but if it raises my profile at all while I'm still in that fledgling stage then that's fine by me.

Pinterest: I haven't started on there yet but mean to as soon as I've got enough to do one big flush of content.

Tumblr: I've uploaded quite a lot of stuff to there but found the community to be really blinkered when it comes to anty kind of engagement. At the moment I'm just duplicating blog entries I'm putting up somewhere else just in case it helps raise my profile. Tumblr is tricky to find any real information on - it's a social media site but doesn't really make it easy to actually interact with others while maintaining the integrity of your own blog.

Now that I've said all of that out loud I realise where I need to strengthen my own campaign. Thanks for nudging me to do that, even though you didn't mean to (or did you? :O_o2:)

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have this funny feeling that Youtube IS a social media
and furthermore competing the others now on.

Ok. Offtopic. Sorry :)

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have this funny feeling that Youtube IS a social media
and furthermore competing the others now on.

Ok. Offtopic. Sorry :)
It is a form of social media, but cross promotion is necessary in today's world. If you are not doing that you are missing out on a lot of views!

Reactions: videoeditgr

Questionable Ole

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi! I just started out my YouTube/instagram as well, but here's what I noticed with my instagram....Hashtags!

If I'm trying to relate my posts to my current YouTube video, I would create little graphics that are related to that video and use hashtags for the audience I want to bring in. Im currently branding it similar to my channel with the same character/style. Hope that helps :)
This helps a lot thanks! I'm new, and currently use dedicated twitter and personal FB accounts to basically post links to videos, with hashtags. Going to try similar strategy in Instagram, just got to invest time in creating actual photo content as well... Which might as well be reused in video thumbnail, what do you think?

BlandMark

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm terrible at self-promotion. I think it might have something to do with where I was raised. We have a "don't get bigheaded" approach to anyone who starts doing well in Northern Ireland. :biggrin: Sometimes I like quirky, low-level advertising like leaving a signed copy of my book with some video links in it in hostels. Could be a fun find for a random traveller one day. Otherwise, I just use Facebook and Twitter to bother my long-suffering friends.

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Social media has been by far the most important key in my channel's growth. You could include forums in this.

Your genre may define which social media platforms to use. Mine is mainly gaming, so I won't be finding much of an audience on something like Pinterest. I've had to find out that Facebook and Twitter are the largest platforms.

Identifying what to use is one thing, but it means next to nothing if you don't get involved. You have to constantly contribute knowledge and meaningful data that are helping others. This lets people know you are someone they should pay attention to. It is then that you can promote your videos, as now they know it is something worth checking out.

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
If you are into audiobooks, I recommend you take a look at “Personal Branding Secrets for 2019” by Gary Ramsey. I got some valuable info out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Other
I don't use that much social media, to be honest, other than Reddit. Sharing my videos on Reddit has been the best thing I've done for my channel and has allowed me to grow pretty quickly.

All you need to do is find the relevant subreddits to post your video in, as long as the advertising isn't obnoxious and you know the community you're posting it in will enjoy it... well then it should be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Hope this generic answer helps a little bit.
Being a long time interneter I'm surprised that I haven't gone to reddit to promote my videos yet!!

I would add that twitter has been huge for me personally. I follow many "small YouTubers" profiles and the like, then I go follow youtubers I'm interested in that are also following that page....then I interact as much as possible in video gain train treads, etc....also by personally messaging people who follow me back.

I never ask for subs but instead tell people how much I appreciate it if they do or just say "hey it would be awesome if you checked my channel out"

Sometimes I might spend $10 on a twitter ad or on Facebook ads, but I find spending money to promote yields very low viewer retention and generally low subscribe rate.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Frontier Forge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use Facebook and Reddit mainly. But don't just post "hey check this out". Try and create some conversation around your video.

Reactions: NickDodd