How do you set up TOP down videos?

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
im going to be doing tech reviews and a top down video set up would be really good for people to see the phone/subject. What do you do interms of cameras ,lighting, general set-up?

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I replied in that other thread where you were asking about the screen capture, and I think a similar setup works here. But to add, I think you need a solid background so the products pop out (so maybe a white or black desk or some fabrics to change the color easily). Also, an even lighting is a must since otherwise it's easy to get unwanted shadows when stuff is above and your hands possibly on the sides. I have that problem often when doing top-down B-roll.

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I replied in that other thread where you were asking about the screen capture, and I think a similar setup works here. But to add, I think you need a solid background so the products pop out (so maybe a white or black desk or some fabrics to change the color easily). Also, an even lighting is a must since otherwise it's easy to get unwanted shadows when stuff is above and your hands possibly on the sides. I have that problem often when doing top-down B-roll.
Thanks again for the reply , I have a solid dark mahogany desk to start off but I could always film . and I have 2 45W Umbrella lights on their way Where I think I can Make it so that there are no shadows. Otherwise a bendy ring light could do the trick. Btw like your channel ahaha , Finland seems crazy.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks again for the reply , I have a solid dark mahogany desk to start off but I could always film . and I have 2 45W Umbrella lights on their way Where I think I can Make it so that there are no shadows. Otherwise a bendy ring light could do the trick. Btw like your channel ahaha , Finland seems crazy.
Great, then I think you're all set in that department. :)

And thanks. Finland is indeed one crazy place. :D