How Do You See Your Channel?

iGM

That Scottish Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello,

Quick discussion topic for all the YouTubers out there. My question being this: how do you see your YouTube channel?
By that I mean the following:
  • Do you see your channel as a hobby?
  • Do you see your channel as a business?

Also:
  • Do you see your channel as a broadcasting outlet, like for example, your own TV channel - with regular series' and upload schedules?
  • Do you see your channel as a place to upload your standalone creations or videos, without serials?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I might see it as both business and a hobby, since I have created a brand from it, but I use the brand as a hobby, as I know I don´t get a lot of money from it. I also use Youtube as a mean to get out into the world, which is the most positive thing that has come from it!

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Definitely see it as a hobby. My channel is about freediving. So it's something I will always be doing. I originally started my channel as a place where I could upload my dive videos for friends and family to see. It's kind of taken a turn when people start asking for "how to" and "tips" videos.

But the niche is particularly difficult in terms of "making" it in youtube, because its so hard to get good footage and have a good dive session, let alone getting enough footage for daily or weekly uploads.

I could never do it full time, because it would be impossible to go on that many dives (where weather and conditions can prevent a dive from happening).

If I treated my channel like a full time job, it would cause me to hate my hobby. Which is something I would never want to do.

I have purposely not monetised my channel, though I don't qualify with the new rules coming in the end of the month. I don't want it to become a money making venture. It's served its original purpose which was to show my friends and family what I've been up

Answering your other questions, I do however see my uploads as "Episodic," its fun to keep to a schedule. My schedule is fortnightly, which is enough time to make an "episode" without it being stressful. Though fortnight uploads make growth very slow and some viewers totally forget about your channel

Reactions: iGM

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So far, a hobby and a creative outlet. I also see it as a bit of a "calling card" for anyone who might be interested in working together on things I could do with the puppets. Mostly, though, it's a place for me to be creative a few times a week.

iGM

That Scottish Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I might see it as both business and a hobby, since I have created a brand from it, but I use the brand as a hobby, as I know I don´t get a lot of money from it. I also use Youtube as a mean to get out into the world, which is the most positive thing that has come from it!
You say you use it as a mean to get out into the world? What do you mean by that? Do you mean, it gives you more incentive to go and explore? Or perhaps gives you more purpose to go an explore?[DOUBLEPOST=1518093786,1518093557][/DOUBLEPOST]
Definitely see it as a hobby. My channel is about freediving. So it's something I will always be doing. I originally started my channel as a place where I could upload my dive videos for friends and family to see. It's kind of taken a turn when people start asking for "how to" and "tips" videos.

But the niche is particularly difficult in terms of "making" it in youtube, because its so hard to get good footage and have a good dive session, let alone getting enough footage for daily or weekly uploads.

I could never do it full time, because it would be impossible to go on that many dives (where weather and conditions can prevent a dive from happening).

If I treated my channel like a full time job, it would cause me to hate my hobby. Which is something I would never want to do.

I have purposely not monetised my channel, though I don't qualify with the new rules coming in the end of the month. I don't want it to become a money making venture. It's served its original purpose which was to show my friends and family what I've been up

Answering your other questions, I do however see my uploads as "Episodic," its fun to keep to a schedule. My schedule is fortnightly, which is enough time to make an "episode" without it being stressful. Though fortnight uploads make growth very slow and some viewers totally forget about your channel
You see this is why I asked this question. As a student of media currently (in Undergrad) with consideration of going on to study some kind Sociology - it is very interesting to see what drives people to make videos on YouTube. YouTube is a phenomenon like no other, there is not much to really compare the site to.
Part of what fascinates me is the how and why behind YouTube.

It is good to see that you view it as a hobby. I think everyone starts out that way but - according to niche and potential audience demographics - I think that can expand into a business. Then again - as you stated - that would make you hate making videos and thus, defeat the original purpose of creating them.

Interesting view stance to consider, thanks!

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It gives me more incentive to go out into the world, and hopefully inspire others to go out into the world as well!
Everyone wwho has traveled has different experiences and hopefully I could contribute with my knowledge of traveling!

iGM

That Scottish Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It gives me more incentive to go out into the world, and hopefully inspire others to go out into the world as well!
Everyone wwho has traveled has different experiences and hopefully I could contribute with my knowledge of traveling!
A very nice way of looking at it! Having seen your video on Chateau De Noisy - I can agree that it does make me want to explore some local ruins in Scotland! You got me there :p
A community, at its most fundamental sense, is about sharing and contributing. The fact that you see your channel in that light is something not many people I have spoken to about the subject seem to consider.

Reactions: TheSwedishTraveler

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Right now, it's a hobby. But I'd like to turn it into a full-time job, because it's what I'm passionate about. I like the idea of doing what you love for a living. However, even if that never happens I still see myself making music and uploading it there because I really enjoy it. It's my dream for it to one day pay the bills, in the meantime I love it so it's not hurting me that it doesn't.

iGM

That Scottish Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Right now, it's a hobby. But I'd like to turn it into a full-time job, because it's what I'm passionate about. I like the idea of doing what you love for a living. However, even if that never happens I still see myself making music and uploading it there because I really enjoy it. It's my dream for it to one day pay the bills, in the meantime I love it so it's not hurting me that it doesn't.
That is the attitude of most creators starting out, I have found. It is my own attitude towards the platform, even today (years down the line and having found some success before the adpocalypse). I still create videos as a hobby with hopes it will now serve as a spring board into professional media employment (it got me into my college course, now in Uni).
Even though I doubt it will ever pay the bills I enjoy it and it helped me get to where I am so I can relate to that view point! :D

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
That is the attitude of most creators starting out, I have found. It is my own attitude towards the platform, even today (years down the line and having found some success before the adpocalypse). I still create videos as a hobby with hopes it will now serve as a spring board into professional media employment (it got me into my college course, now in Uni).
Even though I doubt it will ever pay the bills I enjoy it and it helped me get to where I am so I can relate to that view point! :D
Congrats on Uni! Good luck with it helping you in the future. It definitely should since it's related to what you want to do for a living. I feel like if someone just does it strictly for the money there's not a lot of happiness in that. It would be much easier to burn out that way if you aren't passionate. If you do it for the love of it AND it starts to pay the bills I think that's awesome.