How do you not be shy?

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I always had a problem with this. I can record with friends in public which fine at times. When I try to do it alone, I feel super shy and feel weird. How the hell do you conquer this fear? Do any of you have it or dealt with it before? and how?

Realiti Virtualski

Reaction score
Maybe when you're recording alone, pretend like you're talking to your friends instead of just talking to your camera? Or actually have someone in the room with you when you record a video, considering you feel more at ease doing it surrounded by people. I think it definately takes some time to get comfortable with yourself in front of a camera. Practice a lot! The more you do it, the more it won't feel so weird anymore.

Last edited:

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Imagine yourself with your mobile phone and Facetime or Facebook Messenger or Skype and you are engaging in a video call. You would be happy to converse with the person on the other end with no thought or care about the people around you. Your camera isn't really all that different. You are talking to someone on the other side of that lens, the only diffference being that it is a call that is being recorded for viewing at a later time.

Outside of that, it's really practice practice practice. Just like public speaking, it gets more natural over time.

bluidguy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
These are some good ideas, for the longest time I wasn't happy with my voice enough to upload it to my channel, I would just keep re-recording stuff, than eventually deleting it. One friend told me to try recording something for at least 30seconds each day, and listening to it throughout the day 5 times. After about a week I still wasn't happy with the way I sound, but it got a lot more familiar, kind of like an annoying friend I can tolerate because of connections. I hope this helps, I think you guys have helped me giving me some good ideas to try next time I record.

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think we all have a dislike for our own voices. It just sounds so much different between hearing it inside our head than it does and hearing it like everyone else does. I remember the first time I heard my voice played back and insisting that it wasn't me and didn't sound like me at all, lol. But guess what, it does! :p

CDeltaT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Practice. I consider myself to be a talkative person, albeit a bit shy, but when I first started recording I did not know what to say or do at all and I agree it felt weird. It eventually just when away

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I try to embrace being shy and awkward. But if you feel you're too shy just keep recording. After a while the heebie jeebies will disappear. Practice makes perfect

Reactions: Smartie