How do you handle negativity from peers and family when starting a channel?

Alex D

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey friends! Always wanted to see how other people handle comments from peers and family when they tell you YouTube is dumb and I should quit it. Of course I personally have told that to my friend CrazyRussianHacker years ago and even made fun of him :( I looked at him as not having any goals in life if you're just going to sit an make dumb videos. But looking back now I slap myself in the face daily.

I just wish they would support me a little more, I understand that it seems like a waste of time, but If you see the channel grow 500 subs in less than 2 months it must men something! My wife is finally on board now it's everyone else.
And NO i'm not a cry baby and I can handle criticism, lol

FirstOrderEntertainment

Lama Dictator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Animator, Other
Your subscribers are huge for giving you support and people have to start realizing the world is chnageing due to younger generations and technology and your ahead of the game i believe they should be supporting you good luck to 1000 subs:)

Reactions: Alex D

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Sadly you can't force people to support you.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You have already a lot of people supporting you! Keep going and tell your family that it´s your decision!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My friends used to laugh at me when I was filming or talking about my ideas/videos.
They dont laugh anymore and just ask for my help to get them started!

So ignore them. Keep doing what you want to do and enjoy the ride.

KingUsher

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Don`t worry about it bro we all have those negative people in our lives, but always focus on the ones supporting you while ignoring the ones bringing you down.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Making YOUTUBE videos is similar to SUPERSTAR'S LIFE. They have to handle fame very politely. In simple terms, always listen to your family, then forget what they said. YouTube is not easy, many people will discourage us, we just have be in our spirit :)

Hazzador

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If they don't want you to support you that's fine. It just gives you another reason to prove them all wrong and achieve your goals :D

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I haven't told friends and family yet, but will once I get more of a support base and figure out a direction for the channel.

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Funny thing was I told my wife I had a channel (mostly because I was buying camera and mic equipment) and she told my parents eventually when we went over for dinner and they liked the content. I keep telling my friends I have a youtube channel and they don't care to even look at it, lol.

Also, I don't think you can call YouTube a career or anything till you have thousands/millions of subscribers and views. I would consider it a hobby till then.