How do you guys measure positive reception and Negative reception?

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
So our last video we started with a rocky start. I was super proud of the video but the thumbnail that was handed to me was.... bad. And the other thumbnails offered were also not that great to be honest.

Regardless of this however i posted it to the necessary subreddit thinking it would go well.

Today logged into my channel 3 new comments, 17 likes 5 dislikes.

One of the comments telling me to quit from a 0 sub channel with no content (so of course they know what they are talking about!)

In addition since posting the video we have gained 5 new subs.

I have removed it from reddit but my question is - do i count this as a success or a failure? i am a bit on the fence about this as well as my team we don't really know if we failed with this video.

Side note - The subreddit we posted to their community is famously salty and cruel to any content creator or anyone who does not share the popular opinion so that might be the source of some of the dislikes.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
For me, I'd say that was a success. In my experience, I don't gain any new views from Reddit and the video is downvoted to 0 pretty quickly or left at 1 the whole time.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would think it's successful. You will always get some negative reviews, even if your video is the best video you ever uploaded it's just how it is. Sometimes people hit the dislike button without even watching the video, I had that happene to me before. People will just do or say things just to be mean. Good luck with your channel!

Reactions: DigiBox

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Honestly, I think that your measure of success can't be bound up in one video. To me, it's about trends; whether your channel gets more positive feedback than negative, if you gain subscribers rather than lose them, if your views go upward as you move through the months.

Then there's creative success. Are you happy with the videos you make? Are you feeling like you're getting the message or the craft done the way you want to? That's very important to me, as well.

Reactions: Kristeen

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think this fits a little better in the Strategy / Technique Advice forum, so I've moved it to there. ^_^

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
It's classic hive-minded mob behavior. I had a video with 11 likes and 3 dislikes and I know at least 2 of them were the expression of jealousy and spite because their ego and pride were injured somehow because of me being in close proximity to them on a Minecraft server.

By the way, that's the most dislikes I've ever had on one video. The fact I average between 10 and 30 likes per video on average probably means my content isn't half bad. So I know there's some funny business going on behind the dislikes.

Don't take it to heart because the dislikes you got are not necessarily a reflection of your overall content quality. You know whether or not your stuff is good. We all make mistakes with our thumbnails and sometimes with our decisions, but that one error is not a reflection of who you are, even though there's an occasional jeer or boo from the peanut gallery.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Well, considering that there were more likes than dislikes, I'd consider it to be a "successful" video.