How do you get organic views?

ColdNuggetz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Ranter, Commentator
I've posted 10 videos to my channel, and the usual range of views I get on any given video I upload is about 40 - 80 views ( BTW A lot of these views come from Reddit). Recently one of my videos was seen by a bigger youtuber, and he shared it to his channel which got me about 1,000 views right off the bat, and since then I have gotten another 1,500 views on that video due to organic growth. I know this because in the creator studio app it shows me that my video is being suggested on around 30 different videos and is driving a couple hundred views a day towards that video, which would explain why I keep getting views on it. On the other hand, my other nine videos haven't been suggested by any videos, or they have been suggested by one video. What I get from this is that youtube will only give you the opportunity to grow when your videos are seen by a lot of people. My question is, how do you grow if youtube only promotes your videos with 1,000+ views? We all start with nothing on youtube, so how do other people get all of these organic views out of nowhere and grow to a large size when they used to be getting the same amount of views as all of the other small channels?

Reactions: darkstarmedia

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
you can play with your title's and discriptions a bit. but most likely it will just take some time. and no youtube will promote video's with less than 1000 views.

your one video doing well is certainly going to help. as long as your pulling good audience retention on your video's it should start ramping up for you.

I was kind of like you I could pull in 80-100-150 views externally with promotion and not much for organic views then I started getting some organic views my videos would be 65% external views. now im doing about 56% in suggested video and 15% in search result views 20% in other YouTube features (home page subscriptions ect) external makes up very few of my views. now I'm at over 100 YouTube generated daily views iv been running between 200-300 on my 48 hours for a while now. witch still isn't much but its ramping up.

seems like they like youtube get more comfortable promoting you as long as you keep pulling in watch time and good retention on the views you get.

Reactions: ColdNuggetz

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
You are incorrect in assuming that youtube only promotes videos with more than 1k views.
We started from nothing and slowly, more and more, our videos were suggested more and more..
Just keep making [good] videos, sharing (NOT spamming) on social media, etc, and it will happen..
There are no tricks and no shortcuts.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Plant a view seed in your garden, and water it daily. Make sure it gets lots of sunlight.
At around 2-3 months, your view seed should grow into an organic view shrub, which will grow views on it.
This shrub can live for about 3-5 years, so it'll supply you with fresh, organic views for a while.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Promoting gets lots of short term views as you've seen, but usually the retention rate is low (as people just quickly check out the video for a few seconds out of curiousity).

I'd advise you to stop promoting, concentrate on making great content with great SEO. Good SEO and good audience retention = long term organic growth.

Reactions: Realm Unknown

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
Promoting gets lots of short term views as you've seen, but usually the retention rate is low (as people just quickly check out the video for a few seconds out of curiousity).
Promoting in relevant communities will not get low retention rates.

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
hmm for me my strategy was to do tutorial type content. I did lego tutorials that are always being searched and also provide value to the viewer in short format. That helped me to drive initial growth for my channel. Think of these videos as gateway videos that will help land more ppl in your channel. Or for that video that was covered by that big youtuber perhaps can consider doing more of those?

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other

I'd advise you to stop promoting, concentrate on making great content with great SEO. Good SEO and good audience retention = long term organic growth.

when I promote on, forums that I am a active member on and on topic to the subject of my video I get really good retention. better retention than my organic views. I can generally pull 80% or better retention on my promotion. where my organic may pull 60+ some videos a little worse. (still learning)

I also get tons of positive feedback in the discussions but I don't promote every video as it feels spamy also helps encourage people from the forums to subscribe rather than just wait for me to post my next video to the forums. promoting In the right way does not create low retention views. adwords or spamming people generally not interested will.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Obtain authority in a niche.

Other channels try to mimic my video style. They use my same naming scheme and try to appear to be me. They try to copy my thumbnail look and put their best attempt at my watermark on it so it looks like it is one of my videos. They will often put up videos that they know I'm going to put up and try to beat me to it. In all these cases, once I put my video up, it shows up above theirs in the search results and always gets more views. A recent example is one I put up 5 days ago. It has 3,797 views. Right under it is someone else's attempt at making the same video in my style, named it the exact same thing they knew I would, and theirs has 915 views and was uploaded almost 3 months ago.

I don't say this to brag (even though it's pretty cool), but to illustrate the importance of having authority in your niche. I don't know exactly how I did it, but I do know that I put up better quality videos than the others, have a better method and style, I upload consistently at the same time every day, I put uniform thumbnails that are distinct from anyone else's in the niche, and I put up what my audience wants. One thing seems to be true, and that is you either need to figure out how to gain authority in your chosen niche, or choose a niche in which you can.

I just looked. 0.1% of my traffic source is "External", meaning 99.9% of my traffic comes from inside YouTube.

Reactions: darkstarmedia

Realm Unknown

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
Hey, so I've looked at your channel and there are certainly some issues that may explain why you see no organic growth. First off, you have a pretty low subscriber count, which makes your average view count pretty true to what it should be. As for the 'big youtuber' that you mentioned, I would not classify them as such, they are also a pretty small channel in the grand scheme of things. As for your videos themselves, the thumbnails do not draw the eye at all, people will probably look over them. The SEO on your channel and your videos are almost not there at all unless you search for your channel name in specific, your content doesn't even pop up, but even then there is also another channel with the same name as you out there.

But as for the videos, they are all over the place, your channel has no theme, no core structure that viewers can latch on to. Bundled with the SEO problem, that means there is no genre of videos that your content will consistently come up as suggested under. Improve that and you will see results, I mean even under your own videos while watching, not a single other one pops up under recommended to watch next; which means people are not staying on your videos or channel, which hurts views and retention time, which hurts your videos being pushed up the algorithm, which ultimately keeps your channel in a stagnant stage..[DOUBLEPOST=1519672722,1519672654][/DOUBLEPOST]

Agreed, SEO should be the top priority for any channel, though especially smaller ones