How do you find time

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
How do you find time to make and edit videos if your getting a channel going part time? I have a business channel that I upload my work videos. My problem is I have a lot of video to edit and get up, I just don't have time with running my business, and having a little baby. How do you all find time to do a full time job, If you have one and get videos up.

I always say you have to sacrifice something.
In my case, I work part time and go to college. If I wanted to, I could tell myself I'm too busy to shoot and edit videos. But that's not true.

I sacrifice a couple hours of sleep to edit videos. So maybe instead of sleeping at 11pm, I'll stay up until 2am to edit...even if I have work at 9am the next day. But that's just the sacrifice I have to make.

In my case, I work part time and go to college. If I wanted to, I could tell myself I'm too busy to shoot and edit videos. But that's not true.

I sacrifice a couple hours of sleep to edit videos. So maybe instead of sleeping at 11pm, I'll stay up until 2am to edit...even if I have work at 9am the next day. But that's just the sacrifice I have to make.
Ive been thinking that myself. I own my own business and its very physical. Im usually pretty tired and try to stay up an extra hour to edit when I can. Funny, I'm up loading a video now. The first in over a week.

I moved this to the Strategy / Technique advice forum. =)

I don't have time, so I sometimes mention that I'm swamped with work and that I'm sorry for my lack of videos at the bottom of my description boxes. To my surprise, people actually read the whole description and comment on it showing support! :eek: I'd just mention how busy you are and tell your audience that you appreciate them supporting your content. ^-^ I think it probably depends on your audience, but people are generally pretty understanding -- especially with free content.

Thats exactly how it is. You can´t expect that making videos every week is easy. You have to sacrifice something. People have more extra time then they think. Just ask yourself what you can do to get more time. You might not always like the answer.

I set out at least one day of the week or weekend to film and edit my videos. If I can batch produce videos and make more than one, it puts me ahead!

Reactions: Jes
We are going into high school this year, so our schedule will probably change a lot since we will probably have a lot more homework than last year. We are really going to keep doing YouTube since we love it, and we have been making videos every week for a while now. We are bit worried about whether we'll have time, but fingers crossed...

Julia and Claire

To be honest, I might be out of the ordinary. I'm not married, I don't have kids, and since i moved a year ago, I don't have many family or friends around to distract me either. I also work from home - so I've got lots of leeway to plan when to film and edit videos. Sometimes I put a lot of strain on myself, because I release a new video every day, but so far it's worked out.

Now, if I get sick (like I am right now... damn summer colds), that might put a damper on things...

With today's automation tools and fast computers, it's easy to find time. When I edit video, I save my work until it is fully finished. Usually I am late for work and very late in the bed for sleep, but I was in the military service some years ago, so I learned to sleep little and get up early (5am). I am not afraid to run or bike in the morning to work, even if sometimes the people around look at me like a strange specimen.

One thing that may help is to make templates and get your folders well organised. So you have all your assets where you need them.

The other thing to cut down on editing time is to plan your videos well and massively reduce the amount of raw footage. When I started 1 1/2 years ago, I would have up to 1.5 hours of raw footage that was cut down to a 3-6 min video. That's incredible inefficient and wasteful. My latest videos have no more than 10-12 minutes of footage for a 3-6 minute video. Even that is too much. I get annoyed with myself if I have to reshoot a scene more than twice. I'm working to cut it down even more - so for a 5 minute video I aim to record no more than 8 minutes raw. It's a work in progress...

I've also updated my 5 year old laptop for the latest beast. Before it took up to 8 hours for Premier Pro to export an mp4, now the beast does it in about 15 min. As mentioned, I then use premade templates for all the Seo stuff, same for thumbnail. Without the templates, I used to spent 2-3 hours on Seo and thumbnails, now it's 15-30 minutes.

Back