How do you Bring a Channel "Back to Life"?

LoganReynolds

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
(BTW if its in the wrong section please move it)

Hey everyone! I know I've made threads like this before but I'm just wondering how exactly does one breathe new life into a dying channel?

I have recently decided to shift my niche (from basically about anything to a largely K-Pop based one), and while I did see some new subscribers, there were also many who left back from the days when I did rant videos (a much angrier me, I must say, one that I don't really like much anymore).

Anyways, while it was a goal of mine to at least remain somewhat consistent, this month I was largely plagued with a combination of Hospital Visits, Medical tests, homework, and going through the rather stressful process of forming a band :p

So, my question to you is, what are some ways that I can breathe new life into my channel and gain back more subscribers than I lost? And was it stupid for me to stop ranting despite building a small audience there and doing more happy kpop/Asian American themed videos?

I know about being consistent (which I will definitely work on after this next round of medicals, hopefully), but I'm wondering what other ways that I can give my channel new life. Expanding within my niche maybe? I'm trying to hit 1000 subs by April/May hopefully (I'm at around 575 - ish right now...is that too big a goal?)

MikeSchimm

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Maybe find a happy-medium between rants and k-pop videos? It'd bring back some of those subscribers, you'd be making the content you want to make, and you get some more content out there!

iGM

That Scottish Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Firstly;
Rebrand. Rebranding an channel, i.e, giving it a new name or even a new look will give the channel a new feel and it may bring back older subs to see what has changed. Think about the colour schemes and the psychology of different colours to choose one that will fit the new content of your channel.

Secondly;
Unlist older videos that attracted the old fan base. If you are switching a niche then it is a good idea to keep the back log of your videos solely focussed on that niche (as new subs will look back through your content).
Like one of the other posts stated you could find a balance between old and new if you want to, it is your channel after all! :)

Lastly;
Organise a marketing plan on various social networks to target your audience demograhpic. Using the right hashtags at the right times of day can increase exposure to potential subs on social media (eg Instagram and Twitter). Posting teaser clips or photos of behind the scenes when editing - for example - is a good way to use sites such as instagram

Side note;
If using social media, make and brand social media pages to match that of your main channel.

From there it is all about staying consistent across all social media platforms to advertise as well as staying consistent on YouTube.

There are guides and such you can search for to do with how to advertise on social media but dont fall into the trap of just advertising your own stuff. Share out content from other people also. Bring to life the social part of the media networks you choose to use. :)

Reactions: Caroll

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

TheAustrianGuys

TeaRoller
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah all of the above I would say too! I'm currently restarting my channel also, but because of inactivity.
I changed my username (not here though because it's not possible lol), changed the logo, changed the banner, changed the description, etc.
What I also did, was unlist some videos that don't fit on my new channel anymore and I also put a little message in the description of my old videos to let people know that there's a "new me" with new fresh content :)

Reactions: Caroll

LoganReynolds

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hmm those might be some good advice :) Some of my videos during the rant days steered a bit political (which was what made it more popular in the first place)...so perhaps maybe I could bring back the non political topics to rant about sometime (albeit in a much cleaner way?)

Speaking of Target Demographics this one is a big one...
Since the topic of kpop is one that generally has more females than male audiences, I realized my viewers were still largely male (though there seems to be more females after and they seem to be the more "active" audiences) which could probably be older male subscribers to my previous topics who have since unsubscribed...

Also right now it feels like a circle of getting subs, then getting unsubs (ie; I lost 13 subs but gained 12 new ones) and then I lose another 2 and I need to work hard to get another 2 just to get back to where it was and I'm still under 580 but almost touching it with 571 after a few weeks :p

I think I need some serious help :p