How do you apply YPP with music oriented channel?

PPM

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a channel on youtube that's focus on sharing and promoting music, much like those EDM channels but rather small.

Now I'm wondering how do this type of channel apply for YPP, because the youtube creator team wants you provide documentation to prove that you have the ownership of the videos, and things like agreement between you and the music producer.

Now for my channel I do ask artists for permission to upload and share, and I only upload after the permission is granted, so I'm very sure that it's clear in this area. For video's background it's either stock images or images that are Creative Commons which stated to be free for commercial use. So I'm very sure that I'm clear in this area as well. In theory, both my visual and audio should be good to go: visual - I share the right to use, audio - I'm granted to right to use, video - I create and render every single one.

And here comes my question, when youtube creator team ask for documents, and my channel has over 200 videos with various artists and labels. Let's say you have thousands of videos with thousands of artists, do you send all these documentations to youtube? How do you apply YPP for this type of channels when it relates to a lot of artists, I mean it's not just one single document to cover for all your videos? And lastly what kind of documents/licences/proof to send so that you can be very certain that it will be good enough? (Like is it enough to submit as simple as a screenshot of a conversation or email between you and the artist, or do youtube still require one of those many paragraphs and at the end with a hand-written signature by the artist scanned in?) Look forward to hear your experience, suggestions and such!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the networks / monetization forum. :)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
If the music isn't yours, you can't successfully apply to the YPP. As the content in your videos isn't your own, even if you have the documentation and commercial usage rights, you're likely to be hit with a "Monetization not approved - Duplication" result on application for YPP Review; especially if the original artists also have copies of the same music on their own channels.

If you truly want to monetize a music channel, you need to compose, record, and produce your own original music.

Last edited:

PPM

Reaction score
If the music isn't yours, you can't successfully apply to the YPP. As the content in your videos isn't your own, even if you have the documentation and commercial usage rights, you're likely to be hit with a "Monetization not approved - Duplication" result on application for YPP Review; especially if the original artists also have copies of the same music on their own channels.

If you truly want to monetize a music channel, you need to compose, record, and produce your own original music.
Thanks for the input, i understand now what they mean by their "duplication". I'm totally okay with that and respect the decision, if it is applied to every channel of the same sort, regardless of subs and views.