How do likes influence your videos?

Zach Werre

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Viewers liking or disliking your video helps by telling you, the creator, if people are enjoying the content or not. It also helps tell viewers if a video is worth checking out. Besides that, do likes have any other influence on videos? Do videos with more likes rank better and have a better chance of being discovered?

Reactions: UhoohExtra

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
it could mean they like like the topic, you, the discussion, something you showed in the video. who knows.?! You could be specific and them to like if they want the next video to be of the same theme etc. Many believe it makes no difference if its an up or down vote as long as someone pressed something it shows engagement which is good. I don't find them very useful information really.

Siege H.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I was under the impression that if you see a growth in likes a certain video you could then go to that videos analytics to see where audience retention was at it's prime. From there you could see what viewers enjoyed/liked most, then cater your following videos to meet those same needs!

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I always found this feature to be very vague. I say this because I don't know what aspect of the video the like was in regards to. The same can be said about a dislike because I don't know what aspect someone didn't like the video for.

Without comments accompanying the likes/dislikes it's hard to get a good understanding of what the people want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I done research on this topic and found that 'Video retention' has the highest determining factor when it comes to your video being ranked higher in the search. It makes sense since Youtube wants viewers to be on their website for as long as possible.

For example, you could be 10,000 views but almost no watch time and Youtube doesn't see value in that but retention is far more important.

Reactions: UhoohExtra