How Do I Quit My Day Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
That's a great question. I just checked. We started the channel mid Dec 2015, and the first Adwords was week starting 7 Mar 2016. The first few weeks were basically experiments and learning (and we had some great advice and pointers from FamilyToyReview).

I think in March 16 we had 1265 subscribers.

When we started, Adwords was used to bring traffic up for a video so it could rank and show up in search. Without it, a video generally got 200-1000 views. This was not enough to rank. With $10-$20 that goes up to 2000-3000 views. Not much in the Yt world, but because of the way things work, that is enough to bypass thousand and thousands of other startup channels and their videos and get higher search placements. When this happens across a wide variety of videos (and keywords), the channel gets greater exposure overall, much more so than the 34,576 other kids channels all competing for viewers.

Whether to use Adwords or not goes to the heart of how you believe Yt works. I believe it is a highly tiered and layered system. The most critical thing to growth is growth of subs and views. If this does not grow, the channel will remain in the lowest tier. Once you level up to 1k, 2k, 5k subs, and 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k per video, the algorithm bumps you up to higher tiers. This is where the absolutely most vital aspect of getting traffic happens - getting into suggested slots of high tier channels.

I think the Adwords strategy we used has been instrumental in our channel growth. But it is expensive, and you need a long term view, and belief in your content and overall business. But what business isn't expensive? A guy just opened a pizza shop a few streets away, it cost him $170,000 and he's trying to flog $5.99 large pizzas (I'm eating a slice now).
Thanks for this, and for the graphs! Great info. I have definitely noticed the YT tier system. The trouble is figuring out how to break out of the first tier. Out of our 85 videos only 18 have over 1,000 views, and only 5 of those have over 2,000. Most of the others sit in the 300-600 range.
When you say $10-$20, is that per video? Or per week?
I'm excited to start looking more into this :)

P.S. We've actually been subbed to your channel for a few months, and your girls are so sweet!
I feel like there needs to be an AdWords 101 forum. :bounce:
I completely agree with this!! AdWords is so daunting to me. (Of course, video creating was also super daunting before I started! :) )

Reactions: Shane2000

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You don't get the AHA moment until you hit a certain income. And for me that still a ways away. I need to do 20x what I am doing now for me to even consider going aha and leave my job behind and go HAM on YouTube. But since I have been doing it for 3+ years and haven't hit it big I pretty much feel like it is an impossibility. I see it for what it is, the most awesome hobby in the world. But would I be sad if I woke up to 10K subscribers and then steam past 100K in the following week with the associated view increase? Absolutely not. That... would be that AHA moment.

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You don't quit your day job. You would need a minimum of 100-250k subs with around 1mil views a month on average.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for this, and for the graphs! Great info. I have definitely noticed the YT tier system. The trouble is figuring out how to break out of the first tier. Out of our 85 videos only 18 have over 1,000 views, and only 5 of those have over 2,000. Most of the others sit in the 300-600 range.
When you say $10-$20, is that per video? Or per week?
I'm excited to start looking more into this :)
P.S. We've actually been subbed to your channel for a few months, and your girls are so sweet!
I did $10-$20 per video over 48 hours. This was to rank new videos in search and get some exposure for them.
Longer term, you may consider $10/day for a week for a playlist with several videos.
It's really up to you, your marketing budget and what you want to accomplish.
Thanks for subbing!

ModernLifeStyle

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It is a very hard process and does take A LOT of time. Some people get lucky and there channels just blow up, others have to work very hard to become a successful YouTuber. But like people where saying above is that you need to make sure your channel has a steady growth and hopefully it won't lose its momentum once you get it going. I'm hoping for the same thing, it's always been a dream of mine to do YouTube as a full time job and as long as you try your best and not give up, you will be successful and YouTube it just might take a little longer then you think.

Just don't ever give up!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I'm running one ad for a week, $5 a day, and after the first day these are my results. Is this decent or too early to tell? I'm guiding people to get my free book.

Attachments

Shane2000

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I'm running one ad for a week, $5 a day, and after the first day these are my results. Is this decent or too early to tell? I'm guiding people to get my free book.
Make your CPV to 0,01$ or Euro Cent. SO, you get 500 views for 5$. Even Adwords says you should put 0,19$ in (example) you don't need to do that.
5 dollars will give you 500 views, I am to 99.99999% sure.

Did you use also keywords in video targeting?

Sound_Proof

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i usually just run adwords on my channel trailer otherwise it kills my retention

Status
Not open for further replies.