How Do I Quit My Day Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

I want to know from you're perspectives when you guys decided to quit your old job and commit to Youtube full time. I started making youtube videos on my channel since march of 2015, and now it's october 2016 and I have 793 subscribers as of today.

I wanted to ask you guys, when was the turning point when you decided you wanted to invest all your time into Youtube? I upload videos daily, constantly engage with my fans, and I slowly get about 3 or so subscribers every other day or so.

I get an average of about 100-300 views per video (some however, are in the thousands, either 1k - 10k, and 1 video 50k) so how do I get them up to thousands of views?

Sorry for so many questions, but I feel like this is going to take alot of time and I'm willing to put in the work I was just curious if anybody in their career had an "aha" moment in youtube that got them alot of success.

Reactions: Anjim

ocslushie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Well most people here are not big enough to quit their day jobs/college. A big YouTuber by the name of Keemstar said that you should only pursue YouTube full time if you make at least $3,000 a month and even that is still risky.

Reactions: xxheathermarie

Hazzador

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Its a risky move to quit your job to do youtube full time but I wish you all the best! I am currently just making gaming videos when I have spare time, and I doubt I will ever do it full time. I don't know how to consistently get views to the thousends because I can't get there myself haha

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you don't live with your parents then quitting will be very hard.... I still make cash on my free time.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you're asking this question, then you should really consider having a financial plan. Quitting your job and going full-time on YouTube isn't something that can happen overnight, even if you go viral. You need to understand where all your revenue streams will be coming from (and how much) and how it stacks up against your expenses. It might be very enticing to try to make money on YouTube, especially if you've seen so many others have such success, but you need to also be realistic. For every "successful" person on YouTube, you're probably looking at like 500,000 failures. It's not nearly as easy as many people make it out to be.

If you truly want to pursue this, then I would say you need to see yourself consistently getting 2 millions per month (barring any strange CPM numbers) before you even think about going full-time. That's not including other YouTube-related revenue streams you can have, such as merchandise, services, and crowdfunding. There's a lot of numbers you need to consider. You have quite a lot of work to do.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you're asking this question, then you should really consider having a financial plan. Quitting your job and going full-time on YouTube isn't something that can happen overnight, even if you go viral. You need to understand where all your revenue streams will be coming from (and how much) and how it stacks up against your expenses. It might be very enticing to try to make money on YouTube, especially if you've seen so many others have such success, but you need to also be realistic. For every "successful" person on YouTube, you're probably looking at like 500,000 failures. It's not nearly as easy as many people make it out to be.

If you truly want to pursue this, then I would say you need to see yourself consistently getting 2 millions per month (barring any strange CPM numbers) before you even think about going full-time. That's not including other YouTube-related revenue streams you can have, such as merchandise, services, and crowdfunding. There's a lot of numbers you need to consider. You have quite a lot of work to do.
Agreed 1 mil views is roughly 2k so...in a year that's 24k....less than minimum wage basically which hey you MAY be able to live through on a tight a** budget though --- 2 mil views a month is pretty good and that's CONSTANT views, you can just make 1-2 viral videos, you need to be able to re-create that daily.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was on an IT contract for the local telecom company, and could not wait to go entrepreneur. So when the contract was up for renewal end of 2015, I decided to not renew.

Prior to that, Oct-Nov 2015, we were looking for a business venture to do. As a family we looked at many businesses we could start - restaurant, indoor play center, jumping caste and party hire, small child care center, and many more.

I noticed my kids were constantly on YT on their tablets. I had previous experience with making Google sniper sites when that was all the rage (back in the days before all the Google updates). I did some quick research on CPM rates and YT startup channels, sub growth, traffic growth, etc.

Bang! That was it. That was what were were going to do. Work from home. Spent more family time together. Get the hell out of the mind-numbing office environment with countless conference calls, emails, and documentation documenting documentation systems. This was the chance to do cool stuff we never had the chance to do before.

Not renewing that contract in Dec 2015 was the best choice I ever made. The first 6 months of YT were hard. No revenue, no traffic, no subs. The visa card helped with the startup and running costs.

Like all entrepreneur ventures, a channel is fraught with risk. Especially for those who have families, bills, rent, and dozens of other bills.

As somebody in a movie once said "the only things you regret are the risks you don't take."

bb109

Reaction score
Well most people here are not big enough to quit their day jobs/college. A big YouTuber by the name of Keemstar said that you should only pursue YouTube full time if you make at least $3,000 a month and even that is still risky.
lol @ $3000 a month and making YT your full time job. maybe if you are 18 and still living with mom and dad and don't need to pay rent and other things. My rent alone is $2000 per month and i am not living in a mansion or anything. i live in a small 2 bedroom apartment by myself.

Reactions: markkaz and xingcat

Rafij Rahman Rohan

Be Yourself
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's really risky to do YouTube full time as a job.Cause you don't no what will happen.So I don't recommend you to do YouTube full time at beginning.You can do it part time & if you see you are getting an great amount of radiance then you can quit your job & do YouTube full time.But you know what anything can happen so don't lose your hope just keep trying.Again success is something that is not equal for everyone,some might get success in 2-3 days & for some it may take 2-3 months.So just always try to do what you're passionate about,if you are doing what you're passionate about you never give up so early.And the best part is nobody can steal your dream.So keep trying,best of luck mate :)

Julius Gacgacao

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm kind of the opposite here. :) I got a job so I can move away from my parents, and pursue youtube 100%. My parents are what I describe regular. Because all they know and all they think. Is you go to college and when you come out you find a job. But they have no idea that I'm one of those people that doesn't settle for a regular life.

Status
Not open for further replies.