How do I make thumbnails?

Photoshop is a great way to make thumbnails, Well what i use anyway :) loads of tutorials can be found online, If not just try experimenting with different layers, Practise make perfect

Just start making them - you will learn everything you need to know while you encounter problems and try to solve them. A free application is e.g. Paint.net or Gimp.

Use Photoshop, watch tutorials, *google specific techniques*.
Time will help you improve, so spend at least half an hour on every thumbnail and in no time, it'll be up to that standard

*echoes Photoshop*

Get the standard image you want, whether that's a still from your gameplay or whatever. Apply a Gaussian blur to give it that sweet depth-of-field effect and add a Text layer over the top to get whatever writing you want. You might have to install some specific fonts - try DaFont, they're amazing and the majority of their stuff is free to use.
If you don't know how to apply these effects, simply look them up on YouTube or on Google. There are so many tutorials out there that you'll have to specify what it is you're after in particular. Photoshop does a lot of stuff!

Also, play around with it in your own time. Seriously, it helps so much.
When I was completely new to the program I looked up the basics online and then just faffed around for myself.

Good luck, bro!

If you want a cheaper approach you can just use paintbrush. The copying of imaged without taking their background can be tricky, but it can be done. I have only taken a couple of days to et to grips with it. It does have limitations, but you can always adjust your templates to work around them.

Back