How Do I Get a Countdown Timer on my Videos?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello lovely YouTube people! I need some editing help!

I'm starting a series that's going to require me to have a countdown timer somewhere on my video screen.

Currently, I use movie maker for editing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a countdown timer on my video? I'm open to using other (preferably free) editing software as well.

Thanks!!!

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Not an expert on Movie Maker, but if it allows for multiple videos or images layered on top of each other, you could use an online countdown with a suitable time and record that countdown playing with OBS (free) and then put that on top of the other video. You could probably even chroma key the background of the window out to make it transparent, though most of the online countdowns I've seen allow to change colors.

Another option could be (depending on what kind of a countdown you need) to just make each timer frame as an image and play each for one second for example. So you'd make 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 as images and play each in order for one second. You could then add maybe a clock wipe transition or something as well to make it more interesting.

If Movie Maker doesn't support layers, you could look into getting DaVinci Resolve Studio 12.5, which is also free and allows layers. It might even come with some sort of timer built in you could possibly use for that (haven't done too much on the effects side on that, so not sure if it has anything).

TheScarletBlaze

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Lightworks! not the best editing software and has a bit of a learning curve (Like any new software) but it Allows for Multi Layer Editing and is Completely free.

As far as the countdowns go another option would be to simply Search "Countdown green screen" or "Png" " Transparent" or something of the like, download the video Using a Youtube MP4 down loader (Most of these sort of videos post these fx free to use so its cool just double check the description)

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you are using free software, then download with counter, put in your project on top of your main video, resize it and position it in the right place. With software like premiere pro and after effects you could simply create counter there. With free software you will need to be creative :)

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Not an expert on Movie Maker, but if it allows for multiple videos or images layered on top of each other, you could use an online countdown with a suitable time and record that countdown playing with OBS (free) and then put that on top of the other video. You could probably even chroma key the background of the window out to make it transparent, though most of the online countdowns I've seen allow to change colors.

Another option could be (depending on what kind of a countdown you need) to just make each timer frame as an image and play each for one second for example. So you'd make 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 as images and play each in order for one second. You could then add maybe a clock wipe transition or something as well to make it more interesting.

If Movie Maker doesn't support layers, you could look into getting DaVinci Resolve Studio 12.5, which is also free and allows layers. It might even come with some sort of timer built in you could possibly use for that (haven't done too much on the effects side on that, so not sure if it has anything).
Thanks! I downloaded DaVinci Resolve and it will definitely do what I need it to do, I just haven't figured out how to overlay the countdown video onto the original video. If you have any tips, they'd be appreciated. Thanks for the recommendation!

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks! I downloaded DaVinci Resolve and it will definitely do what I need it to do, I just haven't figured out how to overlay the countdown video onto the original video. If you have any tips, they'd be appreciated. Thanks for the recommendation!
Sorry for taking a bit to reply. I'm currently backpacking in East Europe so been a bit busy. :D

In any case, I imagine you've been able to add the video files to the media pool in the Media view. After that and when you are in the editing view, after you have dragged your first clip in and there is a timeline with V1 and A1, just right click on the area above the V1 and select "Add track". That will add a second track you can put footage on and it will overlay the stuff on top.

Now, if the video isn't transparent (eg. browser window), switch to the Color view. First select the clip with the timer (the edit timeline shows up in the middle, you can scrub around). Then, there is the eyedropper tool (7th icon around the middle toolbar row). Select the eyedropper, then click on the color of the background in the top preview window. In the preview up top, above it is, another toolbar. There's the icon that looks like a magic wand. You can use that to toggle to see what is selected for guidance.

Now, at the bottom, right of the color bars, there is the "selection range". The last button there inverses the selection, so click that. Next, in the top right corner where the nodes are, right click and select "Add alpha output". Now, drag from the triangle in the bottom of the node in the center to the blue marked box on the right. That should do it.

You can use the bottom left sections "Qualifier" and Matte Finesse (blur radius might be useful) to adjust the selection if it wasn't perfect now that you can see the final result in the preview.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Sorry for taking a bit to reply. I'm currently backpacking in East Europe so been a bit busy. :D

In any case, I imagine you've been able to add the video files to the media pool in the Media view. After that and when you are in the editing view, after you have dragged your first clip in and there is a timeline with V1 and A1, just right click on the area above the V1 and select "Add track". That will add a second track you can put footage on and it will overlay the stuff on top.

Now, if the video isn't transparent (eg. browser window), switch to the Color view. First select the clip with the timer (the edit timeline shows up in the middle, you can scrub around). Then, there is the eyedropper tool (7th icon around the middle toolbar row). Select the eyedropper, then click on the color of the background in the top preview window. In the preview up top, above it is, another toolbar. There's the icon that looks like a magic wand. You can use that to toggle to see what is selected for guidance.

Now, at the bottom, right of the color bars, there is the "selection range". The last button there inverses the selection, so click that. Next, in the top right corner where the nodes are, right click and select "Add alpha output". Now, drag from the triangle in the bottom of the node in the center to the blue marked box on the right. That should do it.

You can use the bottom left sections "Qualifier" and Matte Finesse (blur radius might be useful) to adjust the selection if it wasn't perfect now that you can see the final result in the preview.

Backpacking in East Europe sounds awesome!!!! Hope you're having a great time!

Thanks for the tutorial! I followed all of the steps perfectly but alas, I wound up with nothing but a grey countdown timer instead of black, and still no overlay whatsoever. The two video tracks are still completely separate despite my efforts. Thank you though! You got me further than anything else I've found.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!!