How do channels like Gameranx get away with monetizing their videos?

velocity

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My channel is very similar in nature to channels like Gameranx. Gameranx is a massive channel, with 3 million subs, a lot of videos he'll use game trailers, commercials or video game music in the background for example, how does he manage to monetize these videos?

To give a specific example he did a video on the Nintendo Switch, using a lot of footage from the Switch reveal a few weeks back, Switch game trailers, and commercials that were shown during. How does he and other channels who run similar channels make money? Anytime I even use footage like this even in very small quantity with the sound muted I get a copyright claim so I can't monetize.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
They probably have some sort of deals with the gaming companies.

Gourmet Gamer

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lots of it can fall under fair use. Its a very fine line though and a hassle.

velocity

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
They probably have some sort of deals with the gaming companies.
Sure, in some cases but that can't be the case with all of the the videos, it jsut wouldn't be possible to work out a deal with all those companies video game footage they're using

Lots of it can fall under fair use. Its a very fine line though and a hassle.
Mine should be falling under fair use however I seem to be copy right claimed everytime, Nintendo being the main culprit although Take Two and Namco have also.

Gourmet Gamer

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sure, in some cases but that can't be the case with all of the the videos, it jsut wouldn't be possible to work out a deal with all those companies video game footage they're using

Mine should be falling under fair use however I seem to be copy right claimed everytime, Nintendo being the main culprit although Take Two and Namco have also.
Right, you will get the claims automatically, you just have to appeal them.

velocity

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Right, you will get the claims automatically, you just have to appeal them.
Ahh, I see. If I appeal under fair use can anything negative come back to me? For example can I then have my video removed or be given a copyright strike because I attempted to appeal under fair use and they disagree or think I'm trying to get around it?

Gourmet Gamer

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ahh, I see. If I appeal under fair use can anything negative come back to me? For example can I then have my video removed or be given a copyright strike because I attempted to appeal under fair use and they disagree or think I'm trying to get around it?
Yes. They can remove and/or give you a strike. Thats why I said its a hassle and dangerous.

velocity

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes. They can remove and/or give you a strike. Thats why I said its a hassle and dangerous.
So when you appeal under fair use you have to be pretty damn sure it is really to even attempt it.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So when you appeal under fair use you have to be pretty damn sure it is really to even attempt it.
Yep. If you're 100% sure it's fair use there probably shouldn't be an issue if you're willing to fight it all the way down.
Still a giant ****ing hassle though.
What YT needs to implement is if the same copyright holder has claimed your videos, say 10 times, and you've won the dispute all 10 times, their next claims have to be checked by an actual human worker for YT who verifies that the claim is legit.

velocity

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yep. If you're 100% sure it's fair use there probably shouldn't be an issue if you're willing to fight it all the way down.
Still a giant ****ing hassle though.
What YT needs to implement is if the same copyright holder has claimed your videos, say 10 times, and you've won the dispute all 10 times, their next claims have to be checked by an actual human worker for YT who verifies that the claim is legit.
Fair use is quite a hard thing to be certain on so I don't think I'd ever be 100%. Will probably leave it, rather be safe than sorry and see my videos taken down.