How do big channels avoid copyright strikes?

nohalfsteppin

I'm specifically talking about fan channels that upload "Top 10" videos. An example of what I am talking about is at the channel called mariahxlambily on YT. Would link to it if I could but this thread creator wouldn't allow me to.

I want to create videos like this but I don't want my account closed. Not sure how a fan account not affiliated with their favorite person is not taken down and all of their videos are viewable, at least in the US.

There's the Fair Use principle. In the US that means that copyrighted material can be used for the purpose of commentary, criticism, research, teaching or news reporting. You can't copy the whole of someone else's video, but you could provide a snippet in a Top 10 video as long as you're doing so using the fair use purposes and not just using it as a straight copy without the fair use purposes. (That would be unfair use, and get you strikes.)

You could always ask permission :V, just in case! However if you can't just stick some edits in there and it should fall under fair use I'm sure. (not a legal expert X( )

I mean I always have a saying that's like "If you're not sure, don't do it." Which it's good you're being cautious and not jumping the gun to post those videos! :D

JUST BE CAREFUL MY DOOT.

Big channels are no different than small channels... either they buy the necessary rights and permissions or they eventually get caught and taken down.

Top 10 lists are not covered by fair use.

Since mariahxlambily has a back-up channel, I suspect they anticipate getting shut down.

I always wonder how Casey Neistat gets away with occasionally having copyrighted music in his videos...one of the more recent ones had a good long portion of a Beach Boys song in it. He also uses film clips but tends to use very short ones, not sure if that matters or not. Who knows, maybe he gets claimed a lot and doesn't care.

Casey Neistat ... a Beach Boys song maybe he gets claimed a lot and doesn't care.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. If the song is allowed but gets claimed, it's not significant to him. It might be a video that he knows is only going to get 1M views and that's not a big deal to him. He might be making bank on the Amazon links in his description which isn't affected by any claims.

Still, the Beach Boys don't mess around...he's lucky to not get a strike.

You're right. I didn't see permissions for Beach Boys songs in the YouTube Music Policies section.

Back